3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:49 PM

Okey dokey. Night #3 of our 3 night stay in D.C. (Sunday, 12/30) and we went to Dino's. First of all, let me just start by saying that, if this place was in my neighborhood, I'd be there 2 nights/week. Of course we dont eat at home at all so we're at various restaurants 8 nights/week. This is one of those places where you can eat little or eat a lot, spend little or spend more and be happy. And we ate a lot and were very happy. And, one minor disclosure.... the owner of Dino's, Dean Gold, is a member & poster in DonRockwell.com (where this is cross posted) & on CH's D.C. board.... however, I'd had no contact with him before this dinner & didnt know what to expect.

We decided to take advantage of the Sunday night 33% off wine special, spent 10 minutes kicking around the possibilities with Dean, then went with a very nice Tedeschi 2003 Amarone della Valpolicella Classico. Starting with a wine that wasnt lightweight led us to start with a cheese plate as well, something we've done in NY several times, yielding some very rude comments from our food board friends. Well, Dean said it was okay to do, so there. And the cheeses were very nice. A pungent chestnut leaf wrapped one was my favorite (too stinky for Ginny) and the fontina was hers (I liked it as well). The third was also quite good but I cant remember the details: more crumbly, from the same provider as the fontina. Dean can elaborate if he feels the urge. Next up was the salumi platter. More food than we anticipated so I had to carry some of Ginny's responsibility to finish it. These were good enough meats to have been had in our trip to Parma last year... just missing the puffy bread. Bread and cheese, then bread and meat is my type of eating. At this point, the waiter was clearly amused and Dean came over regularly to check up on things, probably to see if the arteries were clogging yet.

Most would have stopped there, and we could have. However, we were moving at a nice slow pace &, as I've said before, I have capacity. So, next up was an order of the saltimbocca (3 very large tasty meatballs in a tangy tomato sauce), an order of the eggplant/chard/tomato side dish (loved it) and an order of the squash flan (at Dean's urging, and we're glad he did.... this is great stuff). Ginny was on tilt by now, but I had to continue (research is hard work) so I ordered (& ate) a half order of the boar papardelle. I eat this at 2 favorite places here in Brooklyn... the fresh pasta was as good, the boar actually better. No desserts. A couple of bottles of sparkling water with dinner... $170 all in, with tax and tip. This was a bargain for both quality and quantity.

I understand why Dino's wouldnt be heralded as a top Italian destination place in a U.S. city. It's of a style that isn't necessarily lauded by all. But it's our type of place, familiar to us when in Italy and hunted down by us when home. We love eating this way and honestly cant think of anything we had that could have been improved upon. Well.. maybe some gratis olives... we'll hit him up for that next time rolleyes.gif . Seriously, this is a gem & we left impressed.

Before leaving, it was good to find Dean and Kay eating at the bar and to get a chance to talk before rolling out and making the block long trek to the car. Looking forward to staying in touch.

This space available… contact owner.

#2 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:42 PM

Couldnt find any subsequent postings about Dino’s or Dino’s Grotto on MF - guess neither joethefoodie nor I wrote up our meals there over the years. At any rate, it seems like Dean & Kay are calling it quits and retiring from the restaurant owning biz. Ginny & I wish them well.

This space available… contact owner.

#3 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,230 posts

Posted 22 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

First, Deno's in Chelsea, now this.

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,585 posts

Posted 25 July 2019 - 02:03 PM

Couldnt find any subsequent postings about Dino’s or Dino’s Grotto on MF - guess neither joethefoodie nor I wrote up our meals there over the years. At any rate, it seems like Dean & Kay are calling it quits and retiring from the restaurant owning biz. Ginny & I wish them well.

Well, there was this on May 19th...

And the next night we went to Dino's Grotto, Dean's Shaw restaurant which has now been in Shaw after relocating from Cleveland Park, for 5 years. Good enough food, prepared properly, especially the fresh, Maryland soft shells I had.  And all wines over $60 (he has an extensive Italian list with age) were half price, and are half price, every Sun, Mon, Tues.

And probably some others from when we part-time loved there.

I guess the idea is to go while it's still open, and drink some of those aged Barolos et al. - at half price.