190 replies to this topic

#181 johannabanana

johannabanana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 12:08 AM

So I had the goat ‘n’ avocado last night, chewy meat adrift on a sea of green sauce with a chunk of blow-torch blasted avocado. My takeaway was, oh so that’s why no one serves goat (or lamb) with avocado. (Sorry Johanna, not dismissing your view; maybe I’m the outlier here.)

Haven't been to Casa Mono - or eaten dinner out - since my son was born but it is possible your version of the goat dish was different from mine 18 months ago. They used to change the preparation for their non-classic dishes fairly frequently.

#182 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:50 AM

Congratulations :-)
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#183 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 07:49 PM

Son????? Born??????

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#184 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,529 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 12:50 AM

But what about my goat? 😆

#185 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,064 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

So last night was my first disappointing meal there... It also coincided with one of my first times sitting at a table and not the counter... Though, i fondly recall several times when K was  younger, we would sit around a table as she would wait for her duck hearts to arrive.. But, so, met my cousin who had never been and Miss A and I were excited to show him the place.. The fideos did not disappoint but, were not as good as usual.. i mean clam sauce with mayo, how bad will it be.. But, as the night progressed we were not impressed.. a squid with meatballs in an xo sauce.. the sauce was well executed, i enjoyed the small pieces of either dried scallop or seemed more like smoked fish, nice heat, it was deep flavor.. but, then served with dried out meatballs and some squid that was cut like a noodle.. i liked the idea, it was a place on almost like a cold noodle dish but, yeh, boring and dried out meatball..  We ordered a merguez dish that also starred a dried out sausage.  A fried squid dish that was pretty good but, was over salted to a criminal level. 

anyway, yeh, if this was my first time there, which it were for my cousin, i would not have come back.. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#186 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,529 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:41 PM

Sounds like execution is faltering. I’ve never liked some of their choices, but they used to execute okay.

#187 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:17 AM

Is there a Mouthfuls consensus as to how the B&B restaurants have held up after the fall of Batali? I should think at the very least there would have been a phase of demoralisation and perhaps an exodus of talent [not necessarily Batali's acolytes but simply people trying to get clear of the wreckage].

#188 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

I don't know that there is a consensus, but the word I've heard is that Otto is not as good as it was in its heyday.

The one place I've been back to in the past 6 months is Lupa, and they still make damn good pasta. Eataly is Eataly - I rarely shop (and never eat) there, since it's not terribly convenient, but when I do find myself in the neighborhood, I'll pop in. The breadth and scope of Italian product is, to my mind, unmatched in NYC, without maybe going to 10 different places..

#189 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:32 PM

We're at Otto enough for me to say that I haven't noticed a drop off in quality.  The menu has changed, with fewer terrines of veggies, etc being offered and having a couple more larger format dishes regularly available but, otherwise, if you liked their pizzas, salads and/or pastas or even their gelato, its still pretty much the same.  No more Mario at the end of the bar holding court, but Dennis, Frank and Uriel are still keeping it friendly and efficient.

This space available… contact owner.

#190 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:43 PM

I should go to Otto more frequently, it's only a few blocks away. But I see weird meet-ups of single Millennials in the bar area, which frightens me off. [Do they hold wine tasting classes at Otto?]

#191 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

Over the years, we've been to several wine classes there but never thought much of them.  They're trapped talking to the least common denominator who attends and, even when the group seems knowledgable, they've felt the need to go thru a pretty elementary script about wine.  Terroir's classes were much better.  However, we've also been to a recent wine dinner, featuring a specific Italian vineyard (that we never heard of) where the food was great and the wines more than good enough (& plentiful).  Overall, sitting at the bar to drink and eat has always been our norm there.  When Dennis is tending bar, you can basically have a wine class with him if he likes you.

This space available… contact owner.