#31 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

Also we need help with the wine list.

A palo cortado to start, then a bottle of Rotllan Torra Priorat.

Why thank you.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.

#32 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

I'd say that you should try it on off hours.

That was the same advice I got from #1 Jewel Bako VIP customer. But, I couldn't seem to find a time when it wasn't packed with young upwardly mobile professionals. Maybe, it's because it was so new then.

I'll put it on the list for next trip. Maybe I'll check the flights for this weekend . . .

Jewel Bako? Huh?

I love being in the city during Memorial Day weekend. It's empty! :)

#33 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

I was there during Labor Day once. It was empty and a tax-free weekend. Like I need another reason to come to NYC.

#34 bonitobroth

bonitobroth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

I walked into Jewel Bako on July 3 no reservations, figuring everyone would be heading out of town. I was right... and sat alone at the sushi bar for most of my meal.

Holiday weekends are good for eating.
"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

#35 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

ok, I am convinced. Now, I just need to find a dog-sitter . . .

#36 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:31 PM

Also we need help with the wine list.

A palo cortado to start, then a bottle of Rotllan Torra Priorat.

Why thank you.

We had glasses of manzanilla to start, then 2 'vasos' (think quartino) of Gran Mureva 1994. Which was well chosen by the waiter when I described to him what we wanted. The wine list was extremely intriguing, with a lot of fairly high end stuff. But we needed guidance, since I know but little about Spanish wine. Ron?

And the food was, as Abby said, deeelicious. The soft shell crabs were peppery and crisp and the truffle ailoli served with them was the perfect contrast.
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#37 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

What is all this "Ron?" business? :)
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#38 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:39 PM

One thing that I should mention is that the tables are VERY close together. We were seated next to a freakishly limber older man who was able to bend down multiple times, presenting Daisy with quite a view. He also scooted in between our table a bunch of times forcing us to quickly move our plates lest they get the fanny-brush. Maybe that's why we weren't able to finish the last of the jamon?

#39 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:40 PM

What is all this "Ron?" business? :)

Forgive me. Wilf? Come along and choose the wine
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#40 Liza

Liza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,590 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:43 PM

One thing that I should mention is that the tables are VERY close together. We were seated next to a freakishly limber older man who was able to bend down multiple times, presenting Daisy with quite a view. He also scooted in between our table a bunch of times forcing us to quickly move our plates lest they get the fanny-brush. Maybe that's why we weren't able to finish the last of the jamon?

Just what was he bending down for? Are they serving on the floor these days? That is SO Adria! :)
“And another thing. You don't have to "move on" either. Not until you're ready. People say, Oh, you should be grateful. They say, Oh, it's time for you to move on. I'm like, What are you, a cop with a nightstick? I'll move on when I'm done playing the blues on my harmonica, thank you very much.

Really, people will tell you all kinds of garbage. Don't believe it.

You don't have to move on until you're ready.”

#41 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:45 PM

Just what was he bending down for? Are they serving on the floor these days? That is SO Adria! :D

:) :D

#42 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:47 PM

:) Casa Mono is, shall we say, intimate. And this guy got up from the table a lot. By the third time he was sticking his coattails in my face I could not look at Abby because I knew I was thisclose to losing it.

So be forewarned. It is not a spot for those expecting spaciousness. Or privacy. Or even those with the expectation of not having to see a stranger's bum hovering over their table.

#43 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

And the tables are so small that they place the water glass on a shelf beneath the table. Once I got a seat at the bar, so close to the people on either side of me that I was getting hostile looks for occupying it. In so many ways this is not my sort of place.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#44 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:15 PM

One more thing. Our tab, with plenty to drink, was a little over $60 each including tax and tip. This is a little less than what was paid for a very disappointing meal at another tiny spot, Metropol, a week ago. The crab special was $15, which is $11 dollars less than the comparably sized and markedly inferior soft shell dish had at Metropol. And at Casa Mono one has the opportunity to drink good wine rather than disgusting wine.

#45 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:10 PM

Popped into Bar Jamon with Dasiy on Friday around 7.30 and got seated nearly right away.

Plate of two hams (one aged the other young-the older one was the moister);
A pretty big slice of Tortilla Catalana (the sliced potatoes were just right--neither mushy nor too firm, and the paprika on top tasted of paprika--not bland as it can be);
Grilled sardines marinated "en escabeche", I believe. 2 large sardines, the vinegar was mouth-puckeringly good, red onion added some crunch;
Asparagus with poached? egg. My least favorite but still very good.
Good bread, I couldn't place the baker.

Bottle of Basque wine which was refreshingly light. Can't recall the name.

Service was very good; place is loud and cramped, but that's the nature of the place.

Around $50 each.

The menu is less adventurous than next door (haven't been on over a year), but just as good, I think.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid