197 replies to this topic

#46 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:23 PM

Agree on all counts. I think I have decided, after having many versions here and in Spain, that tortilla just doesn't float my boat. And I could have done without the waiter, adorable as he was, high-fiving me when I told him my wine choice.

We began at Cibar, which really has delicious cocktails. I had a very good martini and a concoction of pomegranate juice, seltzer and gin which was most refreshing. Breaking my self-imposed One Cocktail Only rule did mean I had a bit of a headache the next morning. I need to stop drinking with people named Johnson. :o
Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#47 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:24 PM

Ask them about the first time we went to Casa Mono, one Christmas Eve. You got off lightly.

Ouch.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#48 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

I don't think we ever wrote up that meal at Casa Mono, did we?

Cibar does do good cocktails. A new one for me was a Ginger thing (ginger vodka based with sprig of fresh mint--which tickled my throat!)

Back to Bar Jamon--I missed the high-five. I liked the waiter as, for the most part, anyway, he was to the point and efficient.
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#49 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:54 PM

I don't think we ever wrote up that meal at Casa Mono, did we?

By the time I had recovered, I could recall little.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#50 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Back to Bar Jamon--I missed the high-five. I liked the waiter as, for the most part, anyway, he was to the point and efficient.

And very good-looking. :o
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson

#51 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:58 PM

I need to stop drinking with people named Johnson. :o

:o

if I had a dime for every time I heard that one . . .

#52 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 06:49 PM

If you get to Bar Jamon around 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon, you just may get seats. We were lucky--the place filled up soon after we arrived. Very good olives and jamon as always, but the outstanding dish was tender marinated calamari heaped on a slab of garlicky toast. I need to find out where they get their bread from because it is excellent. 2001 Laurona, a Catalan Monsant, was quite nice and well-priced. This was an enjoyable way to kill an hour.

#53 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:27 PM

Good lunch today at Casa Mono with my vegetarian cousin. We had:

Artichokes with mint
Asparagus
Mushrooms
Patatas Bravas
Salad with Manchego
(I got duck egg with potato and dried tuna)
Crema Catalana
1 glass each of sherry - a manzanilla

Great place for a vegetarian, and everything was delicious.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#54 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:22 PM

For sardine lovers: the marinated ones at Bar Jamon are awesome. They made a very nice late lunch/snack when accompanied by a glass of sparkling rose and some of that excellent bread.

#55 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 08:41 PM

At Casa Mono, I've only sat at the open kitchen and somehow that feels very spacious to me. The tables do look a bit claustrophobic. I've gotten there at 6 on a Saturday with no wait for a seat at the open kitchen and I've gone at 9 on weekdays and have had to wait for as long as a half hour.

My favorite dishes there are the skirt steak and the duck egg with mojama. I've gotten those as main dishes. For smaller plates my favorite is the pumpkin and goat cheese croquettes.

I just tried the duck egg last week and while it's excellent, I wouldn't rate it as high as the steak. It must be over a month at this point, but I'm still thinking about this steak. The romesco is probably the best that I've ever had and the onion marmalade has just the right level of sweetness. The overall blend of flavors is amazing.

I've never had sweetbreads before and on a different thread, Omnivorette recommended I try them at Casa Mono. How large is the sweetbreads dish? I'm thinking I'm going to need to get the steak again - hopefully I'll be able to fit both the steak and the sweetbreads ;)

If Casa Mono has Bar Jamon's marinated sardines, maybe I'll do that as an appetizer - thanks for the recommendation Daisy! :lol:
Taking a break.

#56 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Note to the smiling maitre d' at Casa Mono: telling someone who arrives at the restaurant at 4 PM and observes one patron at the bar and two tables occupied that she must sit at the bar because "we try to save tables for parties of two or more" is really, really STUPID.

#57 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:34 PM

Note to the smiling maitre d' at Casa Mono: telling someone who arrives at the restaurant at 4 PM and observes one patron at the bar and two tables occupied that she must sit at the bar because "we try to save tables for parties of two or more" is really, really STUPID.

I once let her know that their reservation policy was ill-conceived, they were holding a high number of tables late on a Tuesday night when it was pouring out. She didn't take to it too kindly, and obviously didn't provide the promised phone call "just after 10 if the tables don't fill up" to me. We ate around the corner and knocked and waved on the door as we passed the half full restaurant an hour or so later.

#58 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,680 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

Its that awful, fucked-up Batali reservation story all over again. I recently called way in advance to book a table for five at Casa Mono and was given the "5:30 or 10:30" story which is what you always get at Babbo as well.

If you are not Michael Stipe or Conan O'Brien or a Bastianich or Bono (who I saw in Babbo during a recent successful capture of two bar seats) you ain't getting a prime time reservation, period. You, juuceman, are a Nobody just like I am. :blink:

#59 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:47 PM

Our mate Jackson knows Buford. Do you think that'll get us a table?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#60 Rose

Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,625 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 04:53 PM

Its that awful, fucked-up Batali reservation story all over again. I recently called way in advance to book a table for five at Casa Mono and was given the "5:30 or 10:30" story which is what you always get at Babbo as well.

If you are not Michael Stipe or Conan O'Brien or a Bastianich or Bono (who I saw in Babbo during a recent successful capture of two bar seats) you ain't getting a prime time reservation, period. You, juuceman, are a Nobody just like I am. :blink:

That 5:30/10:30 bullshit has been for fucking ever. I hope when the crash comes, they go belly-up first. The next time someone tells me 5:30/10:30 I'm going to tell them where they can stuff that.
curb your god

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities. (Voltaire)

One is often told that it is very wrong to attack religion because religion makes men virtuous. So I am told; I have not noticed it. (Bertrand Russell)

Believing there is no god gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O, and all things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have. (Penn Jillette)

CERES GALLERY