354 replies to this topic

#1 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

There is apparently no difference anymore, at least not from what I've been seeing walking around the last few days.

Yuck.

"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#2 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

You're just noticing this now?!
loser magnet

#3 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:01 PM

If I could walk around outside in my pajamas, I would. As it is, I have an extensive collection of sweatpants which I wear often. They kinda look like pajamas.

For winter, I'm still looking for a coat that looks like I'm wearing an upright sleeping bag. With arms.

#4 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE(Pingarina @ Apr 23 2008, 05:59 PM) View Post
You're just noticing this now?!

No, no. But every year when the weather warms up, it rears its ugly head.
"It seems a positively Quixotic quest to defend food from being used as any kind of social signifier, as if it could avoid the fate of each other component of our everyday lives." -Wilfrid

#5 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

I saw a girl on the subway today, about 17-ish I'd say, with her mother. The girl was wearing a spaghetti strap cotton tank top, with her bra sticking out all over the place of course, and nylon stretch very short "shorts" which looked to me like boy-style underpants. And rubber flipflops.

How did it become acceptable to leave the house this way?

#6 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

The shorts looked like this, only in a loud floral pattern:

#7 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

And her "shirt" looked like this:

#8 Pingarina

Pingarina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Apr 23 2008, 06:07 PM) View Post
I saw a girl on the subway today, about 17-ish I'd say, with her mother. The girl was wearing a spaghetti strap cotton tank top, with her bra sticking out all over the place of course, and nylon stretch very short "shorts" which looked to me like boy-style underpants. And rubber flipflops.

How did it become acceptable to leave the house this way?

It's "the thin edge of the wedge", honey. Fashion, such as it is in NYC, just gets more casual every year. Some of the things that my FIT students wore eight or nine years ago were kinda shocking, but they're tame compared to what I'm seeing now. Exposed bras, the ubiquitous ugg(lie)s, velour track suits with mingey little designer logo handbags, and full-on pyjama/robe/slippers year-round up here in my 'hood.
loser magnet

#9 Maison Rustique

Maison Rustique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:17 PM

Thank your lucky stars that you live where this only occurs in warm weather. Here in SoCal, we must endure it year round.
Deb
Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.

#10 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:18 PM

What do you wear when it's hot, omni?

Do you not show legs or shoulders?

#11 GalPalJoan

GalPalJoan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Apr 23 2008, 03:07 PM) View Post
.... with her bra sticking out all over the place of course ...

Be happy she was even wearing one.
Thursday: This morning, I say to my wife and my girls, the waffles we face are real. They will not go away. Cornmeal waffles, buckwheat waffles, pumpkin waffles, chicken'n'waffles. The waffles we face are serious and manifold.

I have been remembering this man with some real vigor over the past couple of days. He was a miserable stinker, although now that he has gone on to his reward I can't say what I really thought of him. But if I'm any judge of these things, I'll bet he's hotter than Squeat Mungry. DebVanD

"Generosity, that was my first mistake. I leave these people a little bit extra and they hire these men to make trouble."

"They've got you wrong. You're not a coward. STUPID, maybe. But not a coward."

#12 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Apr 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Sure, but there are legs and there are legs. I wear a skirt pretty much every day from May - September, but it covers more than just my ass and very upper thigh. And sure I show my shoulders, but not with spaghetti straps with my bra showing. And guess what else? My underpants do not reveal themselves beyond my clothing.

#13 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:41 PM

Next year, nudity will be the "new" fashion statement. And your tan lines count~ so make 'em good. No hair allowed, either.

rolleyes.gif

This reminds me of the fad (ok, this was several years ago, but when I saw it I nearly had apoplexy) of wearing jeans unzipped, rolled back enough to show the top of your underwear. Anyone remember that?!

So, it sounds like this year, they just do away with the jeans altogether.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#14 lovelynugget

lovelynugget

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(omnivorette @ Apr 23 2008, 06:32 PM) View Post
QUOTE(lovelynugget @ Apr 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Sure, but there are legs and there are legs. I wear a skirt pretty much every day from May - September, but it covers more than just my ass and very upper thigh. And sure I show my shoulders, but not with spaghetti straps with my bra showing. And guess what else? My underpants do not reveal themselves beyond my clothing.

Skirts at knee, above knee, miniskirts?

I personally can't stand seeing women, especially grown women showing belly, and that was 'acceptable' and common for a while. But spaghetti straps I can deal with, with or without bra, as long as it doesn't show too much. At a certain age, women shouldn't leave the house without a proper bra.

But a lot of that is personal taste. And women are harsh on other women. We keep the herd in line using catty peer pressure, don't you think? tongue.gif

#15 omnivorette

omnivorette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,546 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

Most of my summer skirts are to the knee, or just below the knee. Most of my shorts are to the knee.

Underwear is called UNDERwear for a reason.

Personally, I think there should be a clear distinction between what is clothing and what is underwear.

Yes, of course it's a matter of taste.