Photo

Do you care about location when you dine out?

• Please log in to reply
790 replies to this topic

#1 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 03:58 PM

Maybe I can get this subject off the Sheridan Square thread? Endless discussions here suggest great sensitivity to micro-neighborhoods of the city. I think most of us can tell where one neighborhood stops and the next one starts, although we can argue forever about nomenclature and details.

But does anyone rule out dining at a restaurant which is otherwise appealing, just because of its location? Or because of the kind of crowd the location attracts at certain times?

I can't say I never do that: I did avoid the Sea Grill in the evenings, I admit (mitchells, are you there?). And I can think of one other example just off the top of my head.

But generally - no, if I like a place, I don't care where it is, except in terms of how easy it is to get there and back.
Elect-a-lujah

***Every Monday***At the Sign of the Pink Pig.

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#2 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

Re: Murray Hill. Are there any restaurants there worth travelling to? I am drawing a blank right now.

Because that's your test.
Elect-a-lujah

If the author could go around the place hitting random readers with a rubber hammer, the Pink Pig would still be worth a visit.

#3 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ May 30 2008, 11:58 AM) View Post
Maybe I can get this subject off the Sheridan Square thread? Endless discussions here suggest great sensitivity to micro-neighborhoods of the city. I think most of us can tell where one neighborhood stops and the next one starts, although we can argue forever about nomenclature and details.

But does anyone rule out dining at a restaurant which is otherwise appealing, just because of its location? Or because of the kind of crowd the location attracts at certain times?

I can't say I never do that: I did avoid the Sea Grill in the evenings, I admit (mitchells, are you there?). And I can think of one other example just off the top of my head.

But generally - no, if I like a place, I don't care where it is, except in terms of how easy it is to get there and back.

well, I like Kefi. but I don't like it enough to go up to the UWS just for it (and the UWS is just as easy for me to get to as the EV). ditto for midtown restaurants. I'd eat at Esca all the time if it was downtown.
Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#4 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ May 30 2008, 12:00 PM) View Post
Re: Murray Hill. Are there any restaurants there worth travelling to? I am drawing a blank right now.

Resto. Savarana (or however it's spelled).

I was going to say Hill Country but I guess that's Flatiron.

cocktails at Bar Milano

#5 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:02 PM

I am trying to distinguish distance and difficulty of travel from objections to the location as such.

Yeah, Eighty One is a schlep for me, so I won't go there much. But I wouldn't not go there because I don't like the UWS. I don't much like the UWS (sorry), but not so I'd avoid going to a good restaurant there.
Elect-a-lujah

#6 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

Murray Hill is what? Low 30s on the east side? Near Turtle Bay?

Mavalli Palace and Saravanaas. The latter I hope to have lunch at sometime next week.

#7 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:03 PM

I prefer to able to walk to restaurants and I don't see much point in traveling more than walking distance for another blah two star, but I'd even travel to Brooklyn if Gagnaire opened a branch there.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#8 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

That's the difficulty with Murray Hill. You may well be right, but if Batali dropped Lupa Two on Third Avenue, I guess people would go there.

Of course, he's a name...
Elect-a-lujah

#9 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ May 30 2008, 12:02 PM) View Post
I am trying to distinguish distance and difficulty of travel from objections to the location as such.

Yeah, Eighty One is a schlep for me, so I won't go there much. But I wouldn't not go there because I don't like the UWS. I don't much like the UWS (sorry), but not so I'd avoid going to a good restaurant there.

right. which is why I was pointing out that the UWS is an easy commute from the WV. but it doesn't mean that I do it.

#10 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ May 30 2008, 12:00 PM) View Post

Bar Milano?

Some better than 6th street Indians.

#11 Wilfrid1

Wilfrid1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,108 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

Maybe I am just immune. I know there are members who decry the idea of dining out on the UES. But, hey, I go to art shows there all the time, I have a library there, why wouldn't I go to a restaurant there?
Elect-a-lujah

#12 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

QUOTE(TaliesinNYC @ May 30 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post
Murray Hill is what? Low 30s on the east side? Near Turtle Bay?

Mavalli Palace and Saravanaas. The latter I hope to have lunch at sometime next week.

I think today it's generally understood as around 42nd down to 23rd. east of Park.

#13 TaliesinNYC

TaliesinNYC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,291 posts

Where I live it's Siberia by definition.

Cafe D'Alsace was good for all of two months so it doesn't count.

I prefer points south of 23rd Street. West or east side doesn't matter really. Occasionally I'll go elsewhere if its appealing.

#14 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(TaliesinNYC @ May 30 2008, 12:03 PM) View Post
Mavalli Palace

Closed a few years ago.

#15 spaetzle

spaetzle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:07 PM

I live on the UES and almost never eat out there and so I "travel" no matter where I eat. I prefer to eat in the East Village because then it's just a straight walk up after dinner and if I get tired I can just hop on a bus. I also enjoy the vibe of the East Village, so it becomes preferable for me for more than one reason.

I will eat outside of the East Village for restaurants that I really enjoy. Tia Pol for example.

I can't remember the last time I ate in Murray Hill or the UWS.
Taking a break.