#136 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:20 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 3 2009, 03:06 PM) View Post
The problem with Toto, my architect friends tell me, is that they work on some kind of gravity system instead of the old skool pressure system and, as one of the architects put it, "don't do the job."

If there's an installation problem with Gerber (which, now that you mention it, I think I recall being told last time I had to replace my toilets), I'd probably go with American Standard or some other basic Midwestern brand.

american standard or kohler then. both have models that would match up with duravit. i think the toto problem is an highrise apartment building problem rather than a single family home type problem. in any event, i'd avoid the gerber.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#137 ghostrider

ghostrider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,543 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 3 2009, 03:06 PM) View Post
The problem with Toto, my architect friends tell me, is that they work on some kind of gravity system instead of the old skool pressure system and, as one of the architects put it, "don't do the job."

Why not get a Tata instead & just drive it to the car wash when necessary?
It was hard to avoid the feeling that somebody, somewhere, was missing the point. I couldn't even be sure that it wasn't me. - Douglas Adams

Please come visit my rock concert blog: Tantalized.

#138 robyn

robyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Aug 3 2009, 04:35 PM) View Post
It's become more complicated than I thought. I figured I could walk into Lowes, buy a dishwasher and have them hook it up. But since there's never been a dishwasher in my unit, they'll essentially only drop it off. I'd be installing the washer in a cabinet so I don't know if I need to call a plumber, general contractor, carpenter or all of the above. I have a feeling that my Super also might be persuaded to do it if I slip him enough cash but I haven't asked him yet. Also with him, because he's so busy there's the high possibility that I'd have a dishwasher sitting in a box for a very long time.

Do you live in a rental apartment? If so - I'd check with the landlord first (and also take a look at my lease). Replacing a dishwasher is no big deal - but installing a new one can be a big deal (you may have to install a new electrical line/circuit - water inflow - drain - etc.). If you decide to go ahead - I'd definitely work with licensed electricians/plumbers. Robyn

#139 robyn

robyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 3 2009, 04:42 PM) View Post
I've selected my replacement toilet and medicine cabinet.

Any of you guys have any insights into bathroom sinks? (I want a wall-hanging model.)

What's the structural situation of the wall where you want to hang the sink? Good sturdy studs exactly where you'll need them? If not - you'll need some carpentry work. Also check if the plumbing lines are in the right places. If not - you'll need some plumbing work. If you're looking at a wall hung or pedestal sink as a replacement for a vanity sink - figure out if you have enough (convenient) space elsewhere to move all the stuff you currently keep in the vanity. You don't want to wind up having to store your toilet paper with your Christmas decorations smile.gif . Robyn

#140 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,838 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:29 AM

Ah, in a brilliant stroke -- actually, this is something my wife thought of several years ago, but we never got around to executing it -- I'm going to turn the hamper (installed on the wall in my 1950s NYC apartment) into a vanity.

Also, the new medicine cabinet will have at least 1/3 more capacity than the current one.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#141 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:32 AM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 3 2009, 11:29 PM) View Post
Ah, in a brilliant stroke -- actually, this is something my wife thought of several years ago, but we never got around to executing it -- I'm going to turn the hamper (installed on the wall in my 1950s NYC apartment) into a vanity.

Also, the new medicine cabinet will have at least 1/3 more capacity than the current one.

you will destroy your bathrooms architectural integrity. i love my yellow metal wall hamper and in the wall stainless kleenex dispenser.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#142 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,838 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:35 AM

No no. From the outside, the hamper will still look exactly the same.

It's just that, when you open it up, it will be full of nice shelves of toilet paper and whathaveyou.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#143 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 3 2009, 11:35 PM) View Post
No no. From the outside, the hamper will still look exactly the same.

It's just that, when you open it up, it will be full of nice shelves of toilet paper and whathaveyou.

then you may proceed

~Jack Handey

#144 robyn

robyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 4 2009, 03:29 AM) View Post

So where are you going to put the dirty laundry? What goes around comes around smile.gif . Robyn

#145 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,838 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:17 AM

I stopped using the hamper years ago (when my wife first came up with this plan).

I put my laundry in one basket I have in my bedroom; the dry cleaning in another.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#146 robyn

robyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Aug 5 2009, 02:17 AM) View Post
I stopped using the hamper years ago (when my wife first came up with this plan).

I put my laundry in one basket I have in my bedroom; the dry cleaning in another.

Then you are good to go - except perhaps for new studs and new plumbing.

One word of caution. I am kind of a design nut - and when I did the place we had before our current place (a high rise condo in Miami) - I put in all European plumbing. Very cool looking. Very unreliable. When I had to rip out a wall and a lot of tile to replace a part that failed (after about 4 years) - I said "never again". So when we built this house in 1996 - it was all American plumbing. And it's been a champ. I will "suffer for my art" in terms of design when it comes to a lot of things - but not when it comes to leaking/non-functional plumbing.

And as far as the Toto toilet thing is concerned - we encountered many of them in Japan. My husband absolutely loved them - especially the "do it all" models. I hated them (it was like having a combo toilet/bidet attacking you without notice IMO). Perhaps it is a male/female thing. Or - most likely - a matter of personal preference (I like to be left alone). Robyn

#147 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:03 PM

I love love love my Toto Washlet (all-in-one toilet/bidet/heated toilet seat)! Mine doesn't have a drier or a powerful deodorizer or back and forth massager, but it's definitely one of the things I'll miss most about Japan. My mother loves it, too, but that's because she grew up with bidets and she really misses having one in Canada.

#148 robyn

robyn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE(prasantrin @ Aug 5 2009, 11:03 PM) View Post
I love love love my Toto Washlet (all-in-one toilet/bidet/heated toilet seat)! Mine doesn't have a drier or a powerful deodorizer or back and forth massager, but it's definitely one of the things I'll miss most about Japan. My mother loves it, too, but that's because she grew up with bidets and she really misses having one in Canada.

Our hotels had the "do-it-all" versions. And Bart (my husband) loved them. Funny thing about Japan. You would find these zippy high tech toilets - or sometimes encounter the traditional ones (holes in the ground - found a lot of them in public parks). Not much in between. The trains had both new-fangled - and traditional. FWIW - we have a bidet at home. But it does what I want it to do - it's not automatic. So I'm much more comfortable with it than a high end Toto. Funny story about our bidet. When we built our house - well our plumbers had never installed (or seen) a bidet before. And they asked us where to install the toilet paper holder laugh.gif . Robyn

#149 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,838 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE(robyn @ Aug 5 2009, 10:52 PM) View Post
One word of caution. I am kind of a design nut - and when I did the place we had before our current place (a high rise condo in Miami) - I put in all European plumbing. Very cool looking. Very unreliable. When I had to rip out a wall and a lot of tile to replace a part that failed (after about 4 years) - I said "never again". So when we built this house in 1996 - it was all American plumbing. And it's been a champ. I will "suffer for my art" in terms of design when it comes to a lot of things - but not when it comes to leaking/non-functional plumbing.

Thanks a lot for this. (It's just reinforcing my prejudices in any event.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#150 Abbylovi

Abbylovi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,539 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(Abbylovi @ Apr 12 2009, 04:47 PM) View Post
QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Mar 17 2009, 11:29 AM) View Post
re-screening a door is actually easy. i can prove this as i have done it myself.

Mongo is totally right. I just rescreened a window and it was dead easy.

A cat has been snacking on the screen in my bedroom so yesterday I replaced it. Putting the new screen in was easy as pie, however I'm sure I took a year off my life trying to get the mofo back on the window. After a sweaty 20 minutes spent balanced on the windowsill while trying to wrestle the screen into the window, I finally figured out that you simply pull the screen frame from the inside and it pops right into the outside track. (I'm mostly writing this post to remind myself the next time it happens.)

Oh I also successfully punched a very big hole in my bathroom wall and nearly electrocuted myself trying to install a medicine cabinet.
It is better to have beans and bacon in peace than cakes and ale in fear.