22 replies to this topic

#1 malarkey

malarkey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:23 PM

Had lunch at Skillet today with a co-worker. They are in SoDo on Tuesdays so we decided to check them out since this is the closest they get to my workplace.

I had the slow roasted lemongrass pork sammy, with ginger aioli and cilantro slaw. I would have liked to have tasted more cilantro on the sammy but man oh man that pork was tasty. With a hint of lemongrass, it's a huge amount of shredded pork, really juicy and overflowing from the brioche bun. I just let the juices from the sandwich drip over the lovely hand cut fries. tongue.gif

My co-worker had the burger, which comes with bacon jam, arugula and cambazola. I didn't get to taste her burger but I did get to taste the bacon jam and it's PFG if you know what I mean, and I think you do. She was crazy for the burger, but was quick to say it's not quite as good as the one at Quinn's. I'm having it next time I hit this place, as it looked really great.

You can buy the bacon jam, from their ebay store. wink.gif

And, if you are so inclined, they are lookin' to franchise/partner the whole Skillet idea up and down the west coast.

They are doing the Farestart "Guest Chef on the Waterfront" on July 9th, from 6 to 9pm at Pier 66 AND, in late July, they are planning on opening a take-out window on 4th Ave South.
I'm looking forward to regretting this.

#2 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

Hey, I'll actually be able to walk to their downtown window for lunch. Cool.
They have sturgeon on the menu this week! I wonder if that's the first time sturgeon has ever been served as fast food.

#3 Not A Speck Of Cereal

Not A Speck Of Cereal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:28 AM

Lucky for you guys that get to lunch downtown (sob).

"Hey, I'd like a nice restaurant recommendation... for me to POOP on!"

Chris
Montlake, Seattle, Earth

#4 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:36 AM

We hit the falafel truck parked in front of the Corson Building for lunch today. Great lunch. And if you are still hungry, Two Tartes is a half block away for a giant cookie (get the Mojo if you like everything in your dessert.)

http://www.myspace.com/hallava

#5 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

Finally caught up with Skillet this past week. One tasty pork sandwich and a load of good (salty!) fries.

#6 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 03:45 PM

I managed to get to Skillet for the first time yesterday and it was summarily awful. I, admittadly, only tried one thing but it was so so so bad. I had planned to eat it and go back for another bite, but from the minute I recieved my food, I started thinking of where else I could grab food.

Big dissapointment. Did I go on the wrong day? Is there a secret I should know? I had the poutine. The whole thing was conglomed together to the point that the only distinct flavor was the bitterness of the herb stems which had been tossed in and the uncooked taste of the potato skins. It was truly awful.

#7 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE(da goose @ Jul 1 2008, 08:45 AM) View Post
I managed to get to Skillet for the first time yesterday and it was summarily awful. I, admittadly, only tried one thing but it was so so so bad. I had planned to eat it and go back for another bite, but from the minute I recieved my food, I started thinking of where else I could grab food.

Big dissapointment. Did I go on the wrong day? Is there a secret I should know? I had the poutine. The whole thing was conglomed together to the point that the only distinct flavor was the bitterness of the herb stems which had been tossed in and the uncooked taste of the potato skins. It was truly awful.

I am very surprised as I've eaten here once for breakfast and now lunch and both times have been excellent. We had the poutine today and it was awesome and addicting, I had to throw it out after half so I wouldn't eat the rest. Not being rude but have you had poutine before? It is a big ugly mess of gravy and cheese curds on french fries. but it sounds like your fries were underdone (or just soggy from the gravy which is normal). Mine had parsley on them so no bitterness, just fresh.
BOM @ Skillet

Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#8 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Aug 14 2008, 03:02 PM) View Post

I am very surprised as I've eaten here once for breakfast and now lunch and both times have been excellent. We had the poutine today and it was awesome and addicting, I had to throw it out after half so I wouldn't eat the rest. Not being rude but have you had poutine before? It is a big ugly mess of gravy and cheese curds on french fries. but it sounds like your fries were underdone (or just soggy from the gravy which is normal). Mine had parsley on them so no bitterness, just fresh.
BOM @ Skillet

Hahhaa...thanks for the vote of confidence...but yes, I've had many a poutine in my time...I used to live part time in canada and went to school a mere 3 hours from Montreal (a very good thing, given that the drinking age was 3 years younger there). No, they had all the elements of a good poutine. It was just like they cooked the fries earlier, but they were still underdone. Then put on the gravy. Then served it like 20 minutes later. I went right at the end of their time there, so maybe they were trying to get rid of the bottom of the barrel? Or were tired? I was really psyched about it, and this review kind of makes me want to try again...but I'm still nervous....

#9 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(da goose @ Aug 14 2008, 03:38 PM) View Post

BOM @ Skillet

Hahhaa...thanks for the vote of confidence...but yes, I've had many a poutine in my time...I used to live part time in canada and went to school a mere 3 hours from Montreal (a very good thing, given that the drinking age was 3 years younger there). No, they had all the elements of a good poutine. It was just like they cooked the fries earlier, but they were still underdone. Then put on the gravy. Then served it like 20 minutes later. I went right at the end of their time there, so maybe they were trying to get rid of the bottom of the barrel? Or were tired? I was really psyched about it, and this review kind of makes me want to try again...but I'm still nervous....

I figured you had had it with a name like da goose and all!!

Well I say give it another go! did it look like mine in the pictures?
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#10 da goose

da goose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE(little ms foodie @ Aug 14 2008, 03:48 PM) View Post
QUOTE(da goose @ Aug 14 2008, 03:38 PM) View Post

BOM @ Skillet

I figured you had had it with a name like da goose and all!!

Well I say give it another go! did it look like mine in the pictures?

I think I will give it another try--It definetly did not look like yours does in the pictures, so I must have just been at an off moment...

#11 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:26 PM

I've just found out that my sister is going to have Skillet cater her wedding in July. She's a vegetarian, so I'm guessing the poutine won't be on the menu; still, I'm looking forward to it!
Andrew Fenton

#12 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

QUOTE(fentona @ Apr 19 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
I've just found out that my sister is going to have Skillet cater her wedding in July. She's a vegetarian, so I'm guessing the poutine won't be on the menu; still, I'm looking forward to it!

Love the idea of having Skillet catering a wedding, but not sure how it will work for a vegetarian. Do they even regulary have veg options on the menu?
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#13 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

QUOTE(tighe @ Apr 19 2010, 08:50 PM) View Post
QUOTE(fentona @ Apr 19 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post

Love the idea of having Skillet catering a wedding, but not sure how it will work for a vegetarian. Do they even regulary have veg options on the menu?

I don't know the details, but according to my sister, they'll do a veg, a fish, and a meat dish, plus other stuff. I'm not really in loop on this, but here's what their website says about catering:

-the menu will reflect typically what is in season, and what is locally sourced.

-we will provide 4-5 menu items for your guests to choose from during the duration of the event. These are usually 2-3 “entrée” type dishes, a sweet, a salad or soup, with at least one item being vegetarian.

-your guests will order at the window and will be able to order as much or as little as they like. think of it as an all you can eat skillet.

Andrew Fenton

#14 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:12 AM

So she will be able to eat the salad and the dessert?
Maybe they will have falafel or risotto as an entree.

#15 fentona

fentona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(tsquare @ Apr 20 2010, 12:12 AM) View Post
So she will be able to eat the salad and the dessert?
Maybe they will have falafel or risotto as an entree.

We'll see. Presumably she'll approve the menu in advance, and I'm sure they'll come up with something tasty and vegetarian. I'll report back in July!
Andrew Fenton