Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Back from the wedding! The menu was

cauliflower fritters with lemon aioli
crostini with fresh ricotta and dried tomatoes
some sort of pasta salad that I didn't try
salad with chickpeas and cherry tomatoes
steak frites
salmon with couscous

The cauliflower was good and a real crowd pleaser, as were the crostini (the fresh ricotta and tomatoes made for a very pizza-y flavor.) I really liked the steak frites, and the salmon was good, though cooked a little rare for my taste. My only complaint is that the meal was a little short on vegetables-- the salad was heavier on chickpeas than on tomatoes-- and long on starch, with a giant pile of (very tasty) frites and not a whole lot of steak. But the food was all good, and according to my dad, very reasonably priced. Definitely a good catering option, I'd say.
Andrew Fenton

#17 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:53 PM

Skillet may have lost me. While the quality of the food is good, $9 for half a pork sandwich and $6 for arancini makes it a poor value compared to places where I don't have to wait in line, and actually have seating and service. Isn't value supposed to be part of the whole food truck formula?
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#18 tsquare

tsquare

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

Skillet may have lost me. While the quality of the food is good, $9 for half a pork sandwich and $6 for arancini makes it a poor value compared to places where I don't have to wait in line, and actually have seating and service. Isn't value supposed to be part of the whole food truck formula?

Did you go today and get on camera saying that? (Food Network Canada)

#19 nightscotsman

nightscotsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:50 PM

Agreed.

#20 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:05 PM

Did you go today and get on camera saying that? (Food Network Canada)

Uh, no. :huh: I went for lunch and last Thursday when they were parked in SLU.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#21 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

I haven't been to the Skillet Diner yet and was thinking of going this weekend with some friends. I know it got some meh reviews at first (but so did Poppy which is now a favorite of mine). Has anyone been recently? Also I can't tell from their website if they take reservations?
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#22 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

I haven't been to the Skillet Diner yet and was thinking of going this weekend with some friends. I know it got some meh reviews at first (but so did Poppy which is now a favorite of mine). Has anyone been recently? Also I can't tell from their website if they take reservations?

It's been a year since Mary and I went but it was awful when we went. Overly sweet drinks, bland food but the most egregious thing was the use of braising greens on a salad.

I've liked their burgers off the truck but won't go back to the diner.
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#23 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

We are heading there tomorrow night, I'll report back!
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag