#1 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:14 AM

This show is evil, I say. Evil.

I forgot it existed, then I read in the Times that it would be on. And could I resist it? No!

I kind of liked that they offed someone who hadn't even had a chance to unpack their bag yet. They definitely sent the right two people home, although that Patrick guy was cute. And nice.

Loved the guest judge. Let's hope that this season they stay on this level, and don't make us watch a bunch of assholes trying to make nutritious hospital cafeteria food out of three dollars worth of ingredients from Whole Foods.

#2 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,462 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 01:42 AM

For those who watched last season of Project Runway and last night's Top Chef - how much did Ariane remind you of Stella of "I love leatha" fame?

Future Legacy Participant.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

QUOTE(bloviatrix @ Nov 13 2008, 08:42 PM) View Post
For those who watched last season of Project Runway and last night's Top Chef - how much did Ariane remind you of Stella of "I love leatha" fame?

Haven't seen Top Chef, but Ariane runs a great restaurant in Montclair NJ. Culinariane
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 johnjohn

johnjohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

The Foo Fighters are the guest judges on the Thanksgiving episode.

#5 foodie52

foodie52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,345 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

Ariane needs to pull herself together. She's getting on my nerves. The two European guys need to get a room.

I'm being sucked into the TC vortex.....there go my Wednesday nights.
[size="4"]Visit our website for updates...Friends of Colombian Orphans

Donations are always gratefully accepted.

#6 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:48 AM

QUOTE(foodie52 @ Nov 20 2008, 06:26 PM) View Post
Ariane needs to pull herself together. She's getting on my nerves.

My inner queen loves her. When she started bawling with her mouth open, I couldn't help but laugh. She's so accidentally and naturally over the top.

#7 KRamsey

KRamsey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 01:46 PM

I have to say it's a much better looking bunch of people than the last group. I only want pretty people on my TV. Joke! I kid. This is hilarious.

http://gawker.com/50...s-on-sweet-load

#8 nuxvomica

nuxvomica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

contrary to what Tom C was saying before the show aired, they don't seem that talented though. they hated a lot of the food last night and esp. he did
“Eat me,’’ it says. “Eat me and die.’’ -- Jonathan Gold

Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not OK, then it's not the end.

#9 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Wow. Ariana was horrible this week. Seriously, get a backbone. She drove me crazy. Stefan too. He seems humorless. So far, I'm rooting for the Hawaiian and the blond from Team Rainbow - hilarious!
Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#10 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:26 AM

I'm dumbfounded how Top Chef came to my town and not one person I know in the biz or media had any idea. The funny thing is that they drove by 3 Wegman's to get to the grocery store they ended up at.
Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#11 Lauren

Lauren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,012 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Grant Achatz was a great guest judge - his observations and criticisms seemed very well thought out. It was interesting to see who got flustered by the change of plans in the quickfire. I'm sticking with my choice of Jamie from Team Rainbow. She totally rolled with it. And I'm still liking Gene - his makeshift grill was brilliant. I loved the Foo Fighters and their love of bacon! They seemed to really know their food too. What was up with Danny's beard on this episode? I know they film the interviews separately but on this episode he was shown (relatively) clean shaven, with a full beard and with a day or so growth.

A couple of my favorite scenes:
-the PYKAG guy from Team Rainbow getting all a-twitter about his bear icon, Tom C.
-Hosea talking about being adept at vegetarian/vegan cooking while wearing a shirt that said Bacon is a Vegetable.

Transmogrified by smoke and salt

You deserve a triumphant mouthful of meat........Lily to Marshall as he searches for the best burger in NY on HIMYM

#12 Rebecca

Rebecca

In Memoriam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Nov 13 2008, 05:14 PM) View Post

Maybe not evil, just phoney and "written" like MTV's Real World. Like Project Runway, you never see anyone actually make anything and you get to see the final products for about 3 seconds. At least on Iron Chef you get an Alton Brown narrative of the actual preparations. Like I asked over on the Thanksgiving thread, how the hell did Ariane make "perfect" moist turkey for 60 people using only a few microwaves and toaster ovens? Sorry, I'm just not believing this. Bamboozling and insulting. ninja.gif
"I saw them eating and I knew who they were." -Kahlil Gibran

#13 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Rebecca @ Dec 1 2008, 01:31 PM) View Post
QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Nov 13 2008, 05:14 PM) View Post

Maybe not evil, just phoney and "written" like MTV's Real World. Like Project Runway, you never see anyone actually make anything and you get to see the final products for about 3 seconds. At least on Iron Chef you get an Alton Brown narrative of the actual preparations. Like I asked over on the Thanksgiving thread, how the hell did Ariane make "perfect" moist turkey for 60 people using only a few microwaves and toaster ovens? Sorry, I'm just not believing this. Bamboozling and insulting. ninja.gif

It was just the turkey breast. Set the toaster oven to 400 and keep an eye on it. To brown it more, turn it to toast a few times. I used to cook things in the toaster oven in my old office and my grandma used to quite frequently use hers as an extra oven. Totally doable, but you have to know what you're doing.

#14 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

She cooked only turkey breasts and did them in the toaster ovens. I too wish they'd told us more about her preparation, but I'm not calling "bullshit." I think she really did cook them.
Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#15 Guest_Aaron T_*

Guest_Aaron T_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

I saw the first three episodes over turkey weekend as I lack a cable subscription and will have to wait 3 weeks to see the next batch. I thought Lauren from Absinthe (the SF candidate) seemed great with her soups two episodes in a row.

I was confused as to why one person, perhaps Arianne, complained about having to do dessert when I thought they each got to choose and naturally ended up with 5 of apps, entrees and desserts. Doesn't make sense.