187 replies to this topic

#136 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,311 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

Great review of a place I hope to never set foot in!  I love pizza, but it must come without stress; we've already got enough of that in this fucking city.

#137 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,901 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:07 PM

i should say the stress level waxed and waned with the line. probably completely stress-free at non-peak times. and for all i know, hardcore new yorkers would find it not out of the ordinary.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#138 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

my weekday lunch was uneventful. I really liked the square slices.

#139 villagerOFtheEast

villagerOFtheEast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:04 PM

Great review of a place I hope to never set foot in!  I love pizza, but it must come without stress; we've already got enough of that in this fucking city.

You would definitely be missing out, I just ate at pretty much every known/respected pizza place in the past couple weeks, had over 30 different slices. And it has an argument for being the best slice shop in the city.  Their square is just a beautiful crust, granted since I got the pepperoni it was a tad heavy on the oil, but if not too into greasiness they have at least a handful of others.  I had their regular circle slice last year, but it was so stiff that I haven't retried it, but I've heard if fresh it's great too.  Not to mention the handful of times I've been there I've never been stressed about anything or waited more than a 10 minutes from getting there to eating.

Another 5 best slices had were L'Industrie (I got burrata, but would go plain), Paulie Gee's Square Hellboy, Scarr's plain, Prince St. Spicy Spring, Williamsburg square apple bacon (don't love the crust, but the flavor profile is on point).

#140 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

did you try corner slice?

#141 villagerOFtheEast

villagerOFtheEast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 09:39 PM

did you try corner slice?

Yes. Ive had it twice in the past couple months. Good. But not that exciting. I may prefer the Upside Down slice at Pizza Suprema to it.

#142 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

I think the crust makes that one of the best pizzas here.

#143 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

You would definitely be missing out, I just ate at pretty much every known/respected pizza place in the past couple weeks,

Did you get to Upside? I was pretty impressed by my plain and mushroom slices there.

#144 villagerOFtheEast

villagerOFtheEast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

I think the crust makes that one of the best pizzas here.

Ed Levine would agree with you, but IDK just missing something for me. What do you think of PQR?

#145 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:35 PM

Let's just linger a moment over Scarr.

Not that you asked me, but I quite like PQR.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#146 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:38 PM

never been to PQR.

#147 villagerOFtheEast

villagerOFtheEast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:42 PM

You would definitely be missing out, I just ate at pretty much every known/respected pizza place in the past couple weeks,

Did you get to Upside? I was pretty impressed by my plain and mushroom slices there.

I didn't. Only super new spot I hit was Manero's. Very good plain slice. Overwhelmingly dense square.  That being said by my list of favorites I clearly think more modern places are doing it better. Lombardi's shocked me for actually being pretty good for the old school joints, but I went at a down time, so maybe mine was made with more love. But I prefer it to the slice at Joe's. Difara was a disappointment compared to last time there, just didn't taste as fresh, still good though, no Dom there. L&B I've never really understood the hype. Johns Bleecker great, though a tad too saucey for me. Main other spot of note is probably Una, where Anthony wasn't in, and a guy named Shane is slowly taking over.  Just amazing dough.  Oh, and I guess worth mentioning Keste is currently running a $5 Margherita regular size pizza which makes it the best pizza deal in town.

#148 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:53 PM

I just learned of Manero's existence today, and it is not far from my house, so I definitely intend to check it out. I like Keste (less than Motorino, but more than most other places), but the few times I've been there I felt REALLY rushed to order and eat and get the hell out. Which was unpleasant.

#149 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,311 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:34 AM

Let's just linger a moment over Scarr.

Not that you asked me, but I quite like PQR.

I'm so tired of dealing with the issues at Scarr's, that it makes it almost a non-starter for me. The issues being that they usually are either all out of pizza at the time I arrive, and the pace can be annoyingly slow. In any event, it's a good slice. And you can get really high just standing in front of the place.

Not that you asked me, but I quite like PQR as well; certainly not a classic NYC slice, but really great for pretending you're somewhere else.

Hard to compare Lombardi's with any slice place, no?

L'Industrie is a great slice - agreed.  Williamsburg Pizza is a good slice, though I've not had the combo mentioned above. Always been a fan of Prince St., though others here don't like it as much. And this week, since I was visiting a friend in Brooklyn, I had a couple of very good slices at an old favorite, Luigi's.

The only other dough I can remember coming close to Una's was Jim Lahey's dough at Co. Keste's good, but I think I might like the pie at Don Antonio by Starita even more. Lucali in Brooklyn can't be faulted for much either.

I'll get to both Too! and Upside at some point I'm sure.   And I hang my head in shame for never having had one of Pauli Gee's slices.

#150 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

That’s funny. I was going to post, in response to your earlier post, that Scarr’s is very much not bereft of stress.
Bar Loser

MF Old