422 replies to this topic

#46 wingding

wingding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:34 PM

Books that I've given to others,or taken out from the library,and like,recently;Milk,by Anne Mendelson,Salt To Taste,by Marco Canora,and last but not least The Pleasures Of Cooking For One,by Judith Jones...how can I not love a down to earth book,with a Voice,by someone who has had the good fortune and talent to work with some of the best cookbook authors of the past 40 years.
Stung by Nettles

#47 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

Oh shoot! I had recently read an article about Judith Jones and her book, and was intrigued by it. Had I remembered, I'd have added it to my amazon order!

Oh well, I'm now expecting Momofuku within the next 2-3 weeks, and Ad Hoc probably in January. I wasn't going to order them, but I figure when I return to Canada, I probably won't be cooking for a while, so I may as well get them now while I still have a kitchen I can cook in.

#48 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,478 posts

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:12 AM

I will probably get the Anne Mendelson book one of these days. I took it out of the library and found it very intriguing. Judith Jones has a blog that I'm following.

#49 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:45 PM

i wish Michael Symon's book was more inspiring sad.gif

Psilakis's How to roast a lamb sounds great; ditto for New Orleans by Besh. And i got Link's Real Cajun as well smile.gif
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#50 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,424 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:49 PM

Anyone seen the Colman Andrews Ireland book?

To be honest Irish food doesn't tempt me, but his last saveur-free book was his Catalan book which is IMO a classic, so I'm willing to give him a shot. Any thoughts?

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#51 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,544 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Once you have Peg Bracken's The I-Hate-to-Cook Book, what more do you need?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#52 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

Of course it was never even in the running for me, but here's a NOT from the Bottom 10 Books for the Year list on BookStudio.com:

"Cleaving" by Julie Powell -- We all know from the movie "Julie and Julia" that Julie Powell wanted nothing more than to be a writer. "I have thoughts!" This book shares none of them. An exercise in stretching a metaphor.

However, one of her Top 10 is Mark Kurlansky's latest. Now that's a possibility.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#53 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 07:46 PM

I made the whole xmas dinner from Psilakis - i will continue cooking form it tonight. His garlic confit is my new secret ingredient;
his tsatziki is incomparable and gyro came out great.

"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#54 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,500 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Suzanne F @ Nov 19 2009, 11:26 PM) View Post
QUOTE(bloviatrix @ Nov 19 2009, 10:47 PM) View Post
Just realized that the John Besh book is my list as well. I picked up the new Larousse last month. Haven't had time to look at it yet (I have the edition from the '80s)

I have the new Larousse on my wishlist. Please tell what you think of it when you get a chance, esp. how it compares to the '80s version (which I find nowhere near as useful as the one from 1961).

So last weekend Blovie and I sat down side-by-side, me with the new edition of Larousse and him with the old and made some comparisons. The photos in the new one are definitely nicer, and it's printed with a more modern typeface. Actually, I think the layout of the new edition is better. But in the random sampling of entries, many are them same -maybe a few minor edits here and there, but nothing really significant. The real difference is there are more up-to-date entries on chefs. Interestingly, though Keller, Adria, and Ducasse are there, Bouloud isn't. Oh, and there's no entry for Sous-Vide.

Besh is gorgeous. I need to spend time going through it, as well as the other books I got for Hanukkah. Ad-Hoc just might give me my mojo back. And Blovie completely surprised me with a copy of Under Pressure. Now I need one of the new $500 immersion circulators. laugh.gif
Future Legacy Participant.

#55 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:32 PM

I haven't compared the newest Larousse with the newer Larousse vs. the "old" Larousse. But I have used it to find stuff. So far, it's OK.

Besh is gorgeous? That is an understatement! wub.gif Oh, you mean the book. blush.gif

I've been getting e-mails from some company that sells sous-vide equipment. I'll check on the prices, if you like.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#56 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,500 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

I forgot to mention that the one thing that old Larousse has that they didn't do with the new edition (and Blovie liked upon review) was after the word being defined they included the French translation.
Future Legacy Participant.

#57 flyfish

flyfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,771 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:24 PM

Got these for Christmas!

“I used to be eye candy but now I’m more like eye pickle"
Neil Innes

“Your father is going deaf. I can’t hear a word he says!”
My mom

“I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Captain Hammer

#58 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:23 PM

How many of you will want the Big Green Egg Cookbook?

#59 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,845 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:37 PM

i just got keller's ad hoc at home, today.
next up will be cary neff's conscious cuisine.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#60 Rich

Rich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ May 28 2010, 02:37 PM) View Post
i just got keller's ad hoc at home, today.
next up will be cary neff's conscious cuisine.

Sure you will enjoy ad hoc. I received it as a gift not long ago and it's very informative and instructional.