422 replies to this topic

#61 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,629 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:47 PM

I already have two copies of Peg Bracken. What more do I need?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#62 helena

helena

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,765 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

it's so obvious - the 3rd one.
"farangs are full of surprises. It's the erudition that impresses her, not the quality of the evidence." Bangkok 8

#63 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:25 AM

I took Gourmet Today out of the library today and am impressed by the first couple of chapters. The recipes look simple, contemporary and flavorful. It's very basic, practical and realistic as far as technique is concerned, but appears to be near the cutting edge on taste and inspiration. I'm talking about home cooking, of course. It seems to be a good addition to the kitchen library for everyday use. Has anybody cooked from it?

#64 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE(Lippy @ Jul 10 2010, 12:25 AM) View Post
I took Gourmet Today out of the library today and am impressed by the first couple of chapters. The recipes look simple, contemporary and flavorful. It's very basic, practical and realistic as far as technique is concerned, but appears to be near the cutting edge on taste and inspiration. I'm talking about home cooking, of course. It seems to be a good addition to the kitchen library for everyday use. Has anybody cooked from it?

I was given a copy of it last year and although I haven't directly cooked from it, they have reprinted in the book a number of recipes from the magazine that I've incorporated into my repertoire over the years.
Future Legacy Participant.

#65 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

I'm starting to think I need someone to tie my hands down the next time I start looking at cookbook sales Web sites. I just reshelved all my books -- well, all except one I'm using for research for a current project, and a few that are out on loan -- and I have never ached so much in my life. sad.gif And now I have to update the inventory yet again, because I recategorized some on the fly. After that, I'll post a list of duplicates; if anyone wants them, let me know and I'll send.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#66 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,848 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:33 AM

this

Posted Image

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#67 Eddie L

Eddie L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:39 PM

this

Posted Image

Yeah, I want that one too. Another gigantic, expensive book to add to my collection. Not very practical, but I just can't resist these things...
• • • Edsel • • •
♪ Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1929. ♫

#68 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, I want that one too. Another gigantic, expensive book to add to my collection. Not very practical, but I just can't resist these things...

I'll take a big pass on MC.

If you're looking for inspiration for your next book, the Guardian is running a feature with the 50 best cookbooks of all time. They currently have 50-11, with the final 10 appearing this Sunday. It's definitely UK centric, and they really like Delia Smith while taking a little bit of a dis to Julia.

#69 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,401 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 03:51 PM

this

I'd be seriously worried that Myhrvold will start sending me demands for royalties, and that the book will come with a EULA that prohibits any public disclosure of its content.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#70 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'd be seriously worried that Myhrvold will start sending me demands for royalties, and that the book will come with a EULA that prohibits any public disclosure of its content.

:lol:

#71 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,848 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:01 PM

this

i already signed to nda for the pre-order and that's about as much as i can share, at this time.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#72 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

I'll take a big pass on MC.

If you're looking for inspiration for your next book, the Guardian is running a feature with the 50 best cookbooks of all time. They currently have 50-11, with the final 10 appearing this Sunday. It's definitely UK centric, and they really like Delia Smith while taking a little bit of a dis to Julia.

Well, MsAurum's comment sets them straight. :)

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#73 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:25 AM

A friend sent me a copy of the new Dorie Greenspan book Around My French Table. I've only gone through the first two chapters, but I want to make EVERYTHING. I went to sleep last night dreaming of salmon rillettes and gougeres made with gruyere.
Future Legacy Participant.

#74 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,848 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

on an edna lewis kick lately. "the edna lewis cookbook" is the next one i plan to get.

miss lewis

~Jack Handey

#75 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:18 PM

on an edna lewis kick lately. "the edna lewis cookbook" is the next one i plan to get.

miss lewis

How is that one different from the others?