5429 replies to this topic

#4876 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,228 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:26 PM

Have you been freezing what was left? Isn't it over 10 days old at this point?

It seems like a novel interpretation of "use an old bird".
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#4877 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:43 PM

I wasn't gonna say anything...but 4-5 days is the outside limit to what I give refrigerated, cooked food.

Now indeed Sneak had been away for a few days, meaning his fridge was never opened, and the opening and closing of a fridge, and the temperature variation that creates, is what really causes stuff to go south. Yet still... 

I can see it now, Sneak's perfectly clean hands, as he carves up a little more capon for last night's dinner, shoving some into his mouth while continuing to carve, and those millions of bacterias partaying!

#4878 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:47 PM

We all party together.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4879 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:57 PM

I've started in on a bottle of this Filipa Pato tonight, and it's pretty good - before I'm even having any food with it. Definitely paid under $20 at our new wine shop, VinVero.

#4880 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

I love her stuff.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4881 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:00 AM

I love her stuff.

I think I'm gonna like this new, little wine shop that opened up in our strip on Grand St., replacing the stodgy, lottery-ticket selling Seward Park Liquors, there for like 40 years.

#4882 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:47 AM

Oh, I walked by it at the end of last year!  It looks nice!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4883 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:55 AM

Leftover capon hash (reheated) with leftover stuffing and gravy (reheated) with leftover roasted brussels sprouts (not reheated).  Yes, even my leftovers have leftovers.  I'm gonna DIE.

2016 André Bonhomme Mâcon Villages "Vielles Vignes"

I've enjoyed Bonhomme's Mâcon Villages in the past, but this bottle doesn't seem quite as good as the Corsin Saint-Véran I had with the first, fresh batch of this hash.  Or at least I'm not enjoying it as much.  Oddly, I'm actually enjoying the postprandial remainder more than the portion I drank with dinner.   Maybe it doesn't pair well with bacteria.

Stone fruit and melon up top.  A notably creamier texture than the Saint-Véran.  I think my problem with this wine is that there isn't the dose of minerals I'd like after the strong hit of melon.  I should always have such problems.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4884 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:59 AM

Oh, I walked by it at the end of last year!  It looks nice!

Its market niche is certainly different than the old store. 1/2 pints of Popov were a big seller. Along with 1/2 gallons of plonk.

I believe the principles have some background in the biz.

#4885 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:39 AM

Cold leftover capon (all done but for a lunch of picking at the carcass; then, into the stockpot!).  Warmed leftover stuffing and gravy.  Steamed brussels sprouts.

A leftover wine with leftover food.

2009 Château Simone Palette Rouge

But what a leftover!  Leftover from a restaurant meal.

Château Simone is kind of like Musar's polite, well-behaved sibling.  Mainly Grenache and Mourvèdre, but with minor amounts of a shit-ton of other grapes, both well-known and rare.

This is a big wine.  But unlike, say, a Bandol, it's graceful, elegant.  Never bruising.  And classic.  Lots and lots of fruit, balanced by lots and lots of other stuff (although I for one never taste Provençal garrigue as in a CDP).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4886 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:16 PM

I used to serve a capon at Thanksgiving, but someone would always ask me what it was, and I would tell them, and there would be a sense around the table of “we are eating something weird, not turkey.”

#4887 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

I can't imagine what anyone would think is weird about a castrated rooster.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#4888 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,886 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:45 PM

Right. Especially when same people would eat tripitas. No logic to this stuff.

#4889 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:18 AM

Venison tri-tip with Santa Maria Pinquito beans and garlic bread (smoked garlic, I feel compelled to note). Why hasn't anyone thought of this combination before?

In Santa Maria they'd have had a salad with this. But at my house, to paraphrase Tina Turner, we never ever do nothing raw and greeny. Steamed brussels sprouts.

The farmed New Zealand venison I get from D'Artagnan consistently both delights and disappoints me. As meat, it's always very good: I tend to think of it as just very good beef. But as venison . . . it lacks that pissy wild flavor that (for example) the fallow deer they're now serving at Frenchette has (not to mention that deer Stone shot a few years ago). I marinated the shit out of this tri-tip -- in a very aggressively flavored marinade -- but I'm happy to report that the meat retained a level of gaminess I'm not used to from D'Artagnan (I guess it helps that my new meat thermometer prevented me from overcooking it) (too much).

It seemed to me from my reading about Santa Maria barbecue that they flavor the beans pretty aggressively down there. In fact, I was worrying that in order to be "authentic" I had overspiced mine (RG would certainly not approve). I needn't have worried. They were very moreish (especially with that meat).

I spent so much time thinking up this dinner combination [sarcasm emoji], it's a good thing the wine choice was like automatic.

2009 Scholium Project Gardens of Babylon

OK, this is from the Suisun Valley, a good deal north of Santa Maria. But while Central Coast wines are my favorites in California, they tend to be too light for a meal like this. I wanted a bruiser.

Well, a former bruiser. As I keep saying, this Petite Sirah, which was rough upon release ("nice and rough", Tina T. would say), has aged into a balanced, integrated wine.

It's not shy, not at all. But the secondary flavors, which upon release seemed to be coming from a different universe than the blackcurrant fruit, now flow from it. (Maybe it would more accurate to say that the secondary flavors used to seem like they were scurrying around the fruit's feet, like early mammals with dinosaurs -- but now they're all members of the same peer-group community.) So you get this big taste of blackcurrant -- so good with venison -- and then truck like Mr. Natural into the tobacco, chocolate, and other deep follow-up flavors.

What if Abe Schoener actually knows what he's doing? (To my bud Abe: just kidding!)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#4890 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,880 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:20 AM

Watch this space:  what I'm planning to do with the remaining venison tri-tip will be a travesty.  A shonda, even.

Bar Loser

MF Old