sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5402 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,989 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:22 PM

Which is also, now that I think of it, why boars are so scary when you come upon them in the wild: that bulk is all muscle.

Well, that and the tusks.

You’ve come across them in the wild?

I know Texas has them in such numbers that hunting regulations basically say kill as many as you can any time of year, use a machine gun (which is an atypical hunting regulation). I don’t know how things are in Canada, but maybe Texas-sourced are cheaper?

#5403 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 11:34 PM

I'm sure that's why D'Artagnan now sources from Texas.

So I was hiking through a forest in Jalisco, and about 10 feet up the trail from me a boar emerges from the forest and starts to walk across.  It stops mid-trail and turns to look at me.  I stand there stock still looking back.  This goes on for several minutes.  I'm thinking, "it's up to the boar whether I live or die."

Finally, the boar turns away and continues crossing the trail, disappearing into the forest on the other side.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5404 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 04:36 AM

Same dinner as last night.  Except I ate the boar cold, with mustard.  It was better that way:  seemed less dried-out.  (Also, the beans were one day older and hence one day better.)

Tonight we drank the Syrah that we couldn't inject into last night's pairing.

2017 Domaine Romaneaux-Destezet (Hervé Souhaut) Syrah

This is an unapologetic natural wine.  Meaning, if you think you don't like natural wine, this is what you're thinking of.  It's bitter, it's sour.

But man I like it.  Instead of the pejoratives, I'd say it's "incisive".  You really taste the Syrah flavor profile of dark berries and black pepper and (in this case absolutely unsweetened dark dark) chocolate.  This wine is (I assume) made to be drunk young, and there aren't much in the way of secondary, much less tertiary, flavors going on.  Interestingly, there's not a hint of Syrah bacon fat.  You just get a heavy attack of that fruit, in its most concentrated no-frills form, at the front.

I just love this.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5405 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,989 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:08 AM

So I was hiking through a forest in Jalisco, and about 10 feet up the trail from me a boar emerges from the forest and starts to walk across. It stops mid-trail and turns to look at me. I stand there stock still looking back. This goes on for several minutes. I'm thinking, "it's up to the boar whether I live or die."

Finally, the boar turns away and continues crossing the trail, disappearing into the forest on the other side.

I imagine them being quite small, in person, but that sounds intimidating.

#5406 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:28 AM

They are most certainly NOT quite small in person.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5407 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,989 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 12:44 AM

Okay, putting them on my avoid list.

I was feeding a squirrel out of my hand down near Battery Park before the holidays, and my wife seemed to think that was foolhardy. 🙃

#5408 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 01:23 AM

So I was hiking through a forest in Jalisco, and about 10 feet up the trail from me a boar emerges from the forest and starts to walk across.  It stops mid-trail and turns to look at me.  I stand there stock still looking back.  This goes on for several minutes.  I'm thinking, "it's up to the boar whether I live or die."

https://nypost.com/2...with-wild-boar/

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#5409 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 03:25 AM

Well I didn’t lose $30 million.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#5410 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,287 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:37 PM

Which is also, now that I think of it, why boars are so scary when you come upon them in the wild: that bulk is all muscle.

Well, that and the tusks.

You’ve come across them in the wild?

I know Texas has them in such numbers that hunting regulations basically say kill as many as you can any time of year, use a machine gun (which is an atypical hunting regulation). I don’t know how things are in Canada, but maybe Texas-sourced are cheaper?
I'm sure you can gun down anything in Texas with no consequences, but to be able to sell US caught meat it has to be farmed in some sense (meaning you put a fence around it for some amount of time and maybe fed it) and inspected so it doesn't end up being cheaper, but maybe when you're dartagnan sized you can get a better deal.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#5411 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,990 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 05:49 PM

D'Artagnan makes it sound like their suppliers put a fence around the boars but don't feed them (thus keeping them "wild").  And when the time comes, traps them rather than shoots them (for the benefit of their squeamish American customers).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5412 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,989 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:13 PM

@Orik, good point, I was baselessly supposing that you could eat (or sell for food) what you kill, but of course not.

#5413 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:18 PM

I'm sure I posted several years ago about an infestation of boars in the country.    We'd arrive to find the verge to our property "plowed", plantings uprooted/eaten.   Those guys had TUSKS!.   After a month or so of nightly rampage, locals did a stake out and took them out.    I have no idea what happened to the meat.    Felt cheated since we'd certainly fed them...

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#5414 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,989 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 11:20 PM

Is there a market for the tusks?

#5415 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,206 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:57 PM

Reading a book of short stories by Salman Rushdie. East west or something. I love his writing style. I feel like I read one of the stories, the prophets hair, somewhere else before. My favorite story was at the auction of the ruby red slippers. It was very much had that magical realism vibe with a real sense of humor. I loved it. I see myself reading his whole catalogue but first, half a sleep in a frogs pajamas by Tom Robbins
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.