#1 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Which is the best?

Do I remember that the best chef had opened another place?

Anyway, what are your high end Indian recs?
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#2 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:44 PM

i'm interested in this question too. we're theoretically interested in eating a high-end indian meal on our trip next month. i remember rasoi vineet bhatia getting rave reviews some years ago. the menu does look very interesting (though it is frightening that there are no prices listed) but i believe he may have lost his michelin star.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#3 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 04:46 PM

It does not have a star, but my favourite high end Indian right now is Indian Zing in Hammersmith

The Chef is Manoj Vasaikar who cooked at a number of major hotels in India and at Chutney Mary and a couple of others in London.

Slapsie

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:15 PM

So, absent replies (I am not going to Hammersmith for anything), I went to Quilon. Excellent. More later if I feel like it.

#5 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

that's a nice menu. what were the prices like? and how did they compare with similar (ambition-wise) restaurants in nyc?

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#6 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(mongo_jones @ Dec 3 2009, 04:25 PM) View Post
that's a nice menu. what were the prices like? and how did they compare with similar (ambition-wise) restaurants in nyc?

I paid 120 pounds including tax and tip. But I did have an 9 course tasting with wine parings, an aperitif and sticky. There is nowhere in NYC with this ambition. The closest is, of course, Devi, and Quilon is vastly better.

#7 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

fuck me, that's expensive! well, i see they have a reasonable prix fixe lunch. that's much more likely for us schedule-wise anyway. which reminds me, i need to start making concrete plans for our visit.

~homer simpson

#8 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Dec 3 2009, 09:48 PM) View Post
...with wine parings, an aperitif and sticky.

Had they run out of lager?

#9 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:10 AM

The web site does offer a menu with beer pairings -- that's one reason I chose the place -- but they seemed reluctant to serve it. Quite odd. Maybe the difficulty of providing a limited taste of different beers without massive wastage.

#10 Gavin

Gavin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

Took advantage of that prix fixe lunch a little while ago. Very confusing menu, never sure what is included or otherwise in the lunch deal. The food was, well, dull. Bit shocked to be charged 4 quid for lassi. Don't like the room at all.

Mongo, as I'm sure you know, that there Slapsie knows of what he speaks, but I'm with g.j. when it comes to Hammersmith.
Side by side, hand in hand
We all stand together

#11 IanT

IanT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:30 PM

Coincidentlally enough I also had dinner at Quilon last week.

Absolutely agree with Glen - it was excellent. Very distinctive South Indian coastal cuisine focussing heavily on seafood. I enjoyed distinct touches like the paratha and appams accompanying the mains. Very light, freshly made appams were brought to the table as requested, really good.

Not expensive either, certainly not for the quality and ambition - we paid £120 for two of us and had three starters, 4 mains (3 of which were "small" portions), parathas, appams, a glass of champagne, a beer (excellent beer list), a non-alcoholic cocktail and a lassi. I'm off the booze at the moment which admittedly did kept the bill down.

My favourite dishes were the cauliflower chilli fry and the lobster with kashmundi mustard.

Agreed with Gav that the room is not great, exacerbated by a malfunctioning air conditioning so we were pretty cold. Service was good though and the maitre'd was particularly interested in how we found the meal, gave us a 10% off voucher for next time etc.

I'll be going back.

#12 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE(Gavin @ Dec 4 2009, 04:42 AM) View Post
Took advantage of that prix fixe lunch a little while ago. Very confusing menu, never sure what is included or otherwise in the lunch deal. The food was, well, dull. Bit shocked to be charged 4 quid for lassi. Don't like the room at all.

Mongo, as I'm sure you know, that there Slapsie knows of what he speaks, but I'm with g.j. when it comes to Hammersmith.

gavin, i cannot give my custom (and more importantly my seriously depreciated dollar) to a business with the name "indian zing". and even though all i know of hammersmith is that motorhead vowed they would go without sleep until arriving there i am willing to join you all in your rejection of it.

~homer simpson

#13 Slapsie Maxie

Slapsie Maxie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:27 PM

I can't blame anyone for not wanting to go to Hammersmith, it's a shithole. IZ, however, is definitely worth braving King St for.

My first meal at Quilon was not that exciting, but I ate there again recently and it was a lot more interesting. It is hard to say if that was because of a genuine improvement or because I was with an Indian celeb who ordered for me. The prawn gassi and appam were particularly good.

Wilfrid - Apparently, the first serving of lager with Indian food was at Veeraswarmy in the 1930's when it was served to a visiting member of Danish royalty along with their meal.

Slapsie

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hammersmith is not magic, although there's at least one astonishing Victorian boozer (The Dove?), and I wasted some brain cells at music venues in the neighborhood back in the day.

#15 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,568 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(Slapsie Maxie @ Dec 4 2009, 04:27 PM) View Post
Wilfrid - Apparently, the first serving of lager with Indian food was at Veeraswarmy in the 1930's when it was served to a visiting member of Danish royalty along with their meal.

Slapsie

Wow. A bit like who ate the first oyster, isn't it?