366 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Johnson

Ron Johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,958 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:30 PM

Just bought a new house. The kitchen appliances need to go. What should I get to replace them? I need: fridge, dishwasher, and a dual fuel range/oven.

#2 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Ron Johnson @ Jan 22 2010, 08:30 AM)  
Just bought a new house. The kitchen appliances need to go. What should I get to replace them? I need: fridge, dishwasher, and a dual fuel range/oven.

I have a new GE fridge, not one of the Profile line or other high-end spec. 25.9 cu.ft., french door top, pull-out freezer on bottom. 'Clean Steel' finish. No door-mounted dispenser.

I love love it. Lots of space, and while it's not endlessly configurable, the adjustable shelves on the doors are worth the price of admission (I like begin able to store wine bottles on the door). The finish is as advertised – easy to spot-clean without leaving smears.

Several people have asked why I didn't get a door-mounted dispenser. I don't like that they eat up so much of the interior space; also, I was concerned that the dog would quickly learn to help herself to ice cubes. Plus, the dispenser is one more PITA to clean.

Congratulations on the new house.

#3 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Congratulations, too.

There's a lot of price cutting going on in the high end kitchen refurbishment market right now. It's a good time to get a good deal.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

We remain pleased with our Bosch appliances.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#5 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

i was going to say we miss our bosch dishwasher from the colorado house.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#6 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

Congratulations on the new house. I've never bought a major appliance, so what do I know, except that I've wanted a dual fuel GE Profile range ever since I first saw one.

If the Johnsons are still pleased with their Bosch appliances, you should definitely take a look at those, too. I can confirm that the dishwasher is nearly silent, an important feature for me.

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

lurve my bosch dishwasher and really miss my liebherr fridge

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

I lust for one of these ovens. The only thing I hate about them is the controls at the top; may end up too high, and get hot. Otherwise, it's everything I'd love.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#9 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,114 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:03 PM

Just get a small frig and a microwave. Then, eat out all the time. The economy needs your $$.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#10 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:08 PM

I recently remodeled my kitchen and bought all new appliances. I have an Electrolux range and refrigerator and a Miele dishwasher.

The range is dual-fuel and has a lower drawer that is a second oven. Good heat control with the burners. Lots of nice features for automated oven controls. The touch-pad oven controls are are sort of dumb. Pain in the ass to install.

Refrigerator is French door with freezer below and water and ice on the door. Nicely designed. My only complaint is that the ice dispenser is sort of messy.

Dishwasher is excellent and was easy to install. I really like the separate tray on top for cutlery.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#11 scamhi

scamhi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

miele for dishwasher
sub zero for frig or something else 24" deep
I like our 36" wolf range 4 burner with a grill center

#12 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,066 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

We are building a kitchen.. We looked at the DCS for awhile but have heard strange things about them.. Supposedly, they are made in the same factory as Wolf.. However, DCS only goes to 48 inch and there are lots of complaints about oven issues. I think we are going for the 60".. Sub Zero for the fridge.. In terms of the dishwashers, we are still deciding what to get.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#13 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

I'll chime in on the recommendations for GE appliances. Everything we have is GE and they have served us well.

On the fridge, don't get a side by side as it is a very inefficient setup storage-wise. I wish our fridge had the freezer on the bottom, perhaps the pull-out type. Besides seeming to make more sense, it is logical that the regular refrigerator be higher up since it is the compartment most often accessed.

On the washing machine, get a front end loader. Much quieter and more efficient than the top loader.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#14 GG Mora

GG Mora

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Jan 22 2010, 01:47 PM)  
I'll chime in on the recommendations for GE appliances. Everything we have is GE and they have served us well.

On the fridge, don't get a side by side as it is a very inefficient setup storage-wise. I wish our fridge had the freezer on the bottom, perhaps the pull-out type. Besides seeming to make more sense, it is logical that the regular refrigerator be higher up since it is the compartment most often accessed.

On the washing machine, get a front end loader. Much quieter and more efficient than the top loader.

Oh, yes, on the front-loader washing machine. Cleans so much better, uses less water, wrings more water so that the dryer doesn't work as hard.

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(GG Mora @ Jan 22 2010, 01:50 PM)  
QUOTE(Peter Creasey @ Jan 22 2010, 01:47 PM)  

Oh, yes, on the front-loader washing machine. Cleans so much better, uses less water, wrings more water so that the dryer doesn't work as hard.

uses less soap, as well

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*