Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 27 2010, 01:56 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Lex @ Jan 27 2010, 01:54 PM) View Post
QUOTE(g.johnson @ Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM) View Post
The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

Because it's our mac duty

Comment from an Apple fanboy on the NY Times blog -
I have been following this long awaited announcement for a long time. I can hardly wait to see what Steve Jobs has in store for us now! my first apple device was the iPhone and now all the members of our family have one and love them! Whatever Steve Jobs announces we have already decided we are going to buy it, apple sells quality quality. we think its going to change the way we look at all aspects of reading, gaming, etc with this new device. we live in a small town in rural alaska and our iphone puts us in touch with the world and with family. yes i can say i am more then excited over this and can hardly wait to see what Mr. Jobs brings forth. Thank you Apple for your innovative ideas, for your quality products. we will be watching from Alaska!!!!

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#17 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

not a fanboy - at all, I sort of don't get this, but to answer why not a Macbook air - gotta be price. Netbook - functionality

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#18 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jan 27 2010, 01:59 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 27 2010, 01:56 PM) View Post

Because it's our mac duty

Comment from an Apple fanboy on the NY Times blog -
I have been following this long awaited announcement for a long time. I can hardly wait to see what Steve Jobs has in store for us now! my first apple device was the iPhone and now all the members of our family have one and love them! Whatever Steve Jobs announces we have already decided we are going to buy it, apple sells quality quality. we think its going to change the way we look at all aspects of reading, gaming, etc with this new device. we live in a small town in rural alaska and our iphone puts us in touch with the world and with family. yes i can say i am more then excited over this and can hardly wait to see what Mr. Jobs brings forth. Thank you Apple for your innovative ideas, for your quality products. we will be watching from Alaska!!!!

Wow! That's impressive because most alaskans are watching Russia

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Jan 27 2010, 02:01 PM) View Post

not a fanboy - at all, I sort of don't get this, but to answer why not a Macbook air - gotta be price. Netbook - functionality

$1,500 for an Air. That doesn't leave much room to avoid cannibalizing Air sales while still delivering the usual healthy Apple profit margin.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#20 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

NPR had a piece about this yesterday. Apparently Gates has something somewhat similar in mind? Meanwhile sales of the Google phone are not significant. The way I got it from the guy on NPR was that you would have several of these tablet things laying around in different rooms of your house and just pick one of them up to get data, info, calls, send e-mails, whatever as you need to.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#21 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

The thing looks sort of dumb when held. And it isn't just Jobs' ET-esque fingers.

This will definitely revolutionize tablet computing.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#22 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:09 PM

Best NY Times reader's comment on the live blog -
Can you use it while you're driving?

#23 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jan 27 2010, 11:06 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Anthony Bonner @ Jan 27 2010, 02:01 PM) View Post

$1,500 for an Air. That doesn't leave much room to avoid cannibalizing Air sales while still delivering the usual healthy Apple profit margin.

The Air has problems. It is great when I travel, but it does not run multiple applications well without overheating.

#24 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,109 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

One issue is battery life. Said to be 10 hours.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#25 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(hollywood @ Jan 27 2010, 11:21 AM) View Post
One issue is battery life. Said to be 10 hours.

If they can do that for the tablet, will that technology eventually translate to the iPhone or laptops?

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,522 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(The New York Times @ Jan. 27, 2009)
Steven P. Jobs says the tablet device, which will start at $499, will fill a gap between laptops and smartphones.

Why am I thinking of Zeno's Paradox here?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jan 27 2010, 02:26 PM) View Post
QUOTE(The New York Times @ Jan. 27, 2009)
Steven P. Jobs says the tablet device, which will start at $499, will fill a gap between laptops and smartphones.

Why am I thinking of Zeno's Paradox here?

You got lowballed. The one people are going to want costs $829.
Mr. Jobs says Apple has met its cost goals: The iPad’s pricing starts at $499. (Which means, at the very least, there is little reason to buy the much more limited Amazon Kindle DX.)

For $499, you get you 16 GB of storage, with WiFi built-in. For $599, you get 32 GB of storage. For $699, you get 64 GB of storage.

The 3G models cost an extra $130 each.

So all told, there are six models of the new iPad. The most eexpensive 64 GB model, with 3G, costs $829 plus the monthly charge.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,522 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:39 PM

I was focusing on the last part.

Apple can spend the rest of infinity filling the gaps between its last two products.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jan 27 2010, 02:39 PM) View Post
I was focusing on the last part.

Apple can spend the rest of infinity filling the gaps between its last two products.

but what if i want to use it at the beach? there won't be any beach.

man, i need a headache

#30 peppyre

peppyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:03 PM

I'm still stuck on it being called the iPad blink.gif Seriously? There are no women working at Apple??