g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jan 27 2010, 01:54 PM) View Post
QUOTE(g.johnson @ Jan 27 2010, 01:45 PM) View Post
The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle or equivalent for a while. This fills that need* plus it'll handle email and browsing. So instead of taking 5 books and a laptop on vacation, I can just take this.

*Still a bit heavy at 1.5lb.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#32 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE(g.johnson @ Jan 27 2010, 03:08 PM) View Post
The major thing wrong with that article is the premise that the reader already has an iPhone (or other portable email device) and a Kindle.

I think that's a correct premise for Apple's target market. Maybe I'm missing something but why would you buy one of these instead of a netbook or a Macbook Air?

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Kindle or equivalent for a while. This fills that need* plus it'll handle email and browsing. So instead of taking 5 books and a laptop on vacation, I can just take this.

If you're viewing it as a laptop replacement you'll need the optional keyboard. And the optional screen holder while you're typing.

ETA - I'm not joking. In the Times live blog they mentioned that these accessories would be available.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#33 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:18 PM

I am not sure what this is for, but where should I stand in line to get it?

#34 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE(Lex @ Jan 27 2010, 03:14 PM) View Post
QUOTE(g.johnson @ Jan 27 2010, 03:08 PM) View Post

If you're viewing it as a laptop replacement you'll need the optional keyboard. And the optional screen holder while you're typing.

ETA - I'm not joking. In the Times live blog they mentioned that these accessories would be available.

No, not a laptop replacement but an ebook reader that'll let me browse the internet and do email.
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#35 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,513 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Right. I got a very small, very light full-featured laptop a few years ago, which I thought I'd use in place of a smart phone (which I don't have because I hate the dinky screens and keyboards). But I find I don't: it's just too much of a process to take it out of the case, power it up, log on, have it load, etc. It's still too much a computer.

I can see the usefulness of this iPad.

I'm not going to rush out and get one. But I can see the usefulness of it.

ONLY if you don't already have a smart phone, though.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#36 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,513 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE(peppyre @ Jan 27 2010, 08:03 PM) View Post
I'm still stuck on it being called the iPad blink.gif Seriously? There are no women working at Apple??

lsjU0K8QPhs
Bar Loser

MF Old

#37 Carolyn Tillie

Carolyn Tillie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Jan 27 2010, 12:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(peppyre @ Jan 27 2010, 08:03 PM) View Post
I'm still stuck on it being called the iPad blink.gif Seriously? There are no women working at Apple??

lsjU0K8QPhs

Post of the day, Sneak! laugh.gif

#38 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,102 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE(Wilfrid @ Jan 27 2010, 12:18 PM) View Post

I will sell you my place in line.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#39 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,102 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE(peppyre @ Jan 27 2010, 12:03 PM) View Post

You would have preferred uPad?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#40 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(hollywood @ Jan 27 2010, 03:40 PM) View Post

i'm almost up to the cash register, so please buy my place in line.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#41 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 27 2010, 04:22 PM) View Post

Steve Jobs said it's the most phenomenal experience you've ever had. You can touch the web with your greasy fingers!

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#42 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(Orik @ Jan 27 2010, 04:25 PM) View Post
QUOTE(splinky @ Jan 27 2010, 04:22 PM) View Post

Steve Jobs said it's the most phenomenal experience you've ever had. You can touch the web with your greasy fingers!

but what if i'm wearing gloves?

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#43 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,100 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

you can use the tip of your tongue and lick it.

As usual, the first generation will stink but will still be well ahead of the competition due to a hardware advantage (low power consumption video processor). By the time others catch up, the product will be much better and they can run it on commodity hardware. Hopefully the economy supports yet another $2000/year device.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#44 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

i guess the nytimes announcement makes more sense. iContent is always worth more

~Jack Handey

#45 Squeat Mungry

Squeat Mungry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,139 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Of course the MetaFilter folks are having a heyday with this thing. It's a huge thread and I'm just skimming, but my favorite comment so far:
I kinda kept hoping Steve would walk up on the stage, scream "PSYCH!!!", and then walk off silently.

It is a pretty poem, Mr. Pope, but you must not call it Homer. -- Richard Bentley