438 replies to this topic

#1 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

David's Brisket House is an old skool deli in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn (Nostrand Ave., just above Atlantic across from where Herkimer Place butts in).

Why Brooklyn Is The Greatest Borough In The World

David's was, of course, originally Jewish owned. Maybe 10 years or so ago (when you get to be my age, you lose all grasp of time), it was bought by an Arab. Who has totally and completely kept up standards (and of course is a great guy to boot). This is still one of the best Jewish delis in New York.

Back To The Food

It's called David's Brisket House, so what they feature is: brisket, cured brisket (corned beef), cured and smoked brisket (pastrami). The brisket is, I feel safe in saying, the best of its kind in New York (its kind being Jewish deli brisket: I'm not going to get into a debate about whether Texas barbecued brisket is a superior product). Juicy, beefy, great. The corned beef and pastrami are near the top -- the pastrami being almost as good as Katz's. And now that the Carnegie has fallen, maybe the corned beef is the best in New York. I don't know. I live in the (approximate) hood, so I'm prejudiced.

One good thing is that they serve "small" sandwiches for reasonable prices (used to be $5, now $7). So if you don't feel like pigging out on a $12 sandwich that no reasonable person could finish, you don't have to.

Unless, that is, you want one of the great sandwiches in New York: David's pastrami/brisket combo. The combos are sold only in "large" size, which means you have to fork out $12 and gird yourself. This is one fucking fabulous sandwich.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,158 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:49 PM

awesome.. you scooped me.. i been waiting to post this for some time.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#3 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

I've never even heard of it before. There shoulda been a thread.

#4 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,014 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:45 PM

This place was in Jim Leff's original book, the one that advertised the start of a new food board and listed "eclectic" best places in NYC. It was already not Jewish owned back then, but (if I remember correctly) owned by a Caribbean guy who worked for the old owners and bought it when they retired. However, since that time, I believe it changed owners at least twice and was closed for a substantial amount of time. Always been good.

This space available… contact owner.

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:01 PM

I'm not claiming this as a new discovery or anything. I've been going there for years and years and years.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

thanks for the report. i've driven by and been incredulous as to its existence. now i'll have to go.

man, i need a headache

#7 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,863 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Never heard of it. A well kept secret.

#8 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Apr 4 2010, 06:01 PM) View Post
I'm not claiming this as a new discovery or anything. I've been going there for years and years and years.

Sneak, you should write about places like these more often. All of us are attracted to and distracted by the shiny new places, but few of us really know old Brooklyn. I know you must know lots more places like this, and a lot of them are worthy of rediscovery, or discovery, for those of us who are ignorant. (Although I'd rather not see places like Tom's crawling with hipsters.)

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Apr 4 2010, 06:56 PM) View Post

Sneak, you should write about places like these more often. All of us are attracted to and distracted by the shiny new places, but few of us really know old Brooklyn. I know you must know lots more places like this, and a lot of them are worthy of rediscovery, or discovery, for those of us who are ignorant. (Although I'd rather not see places like Tom's crawling with hipsters.)

then we need a thread that's invisible to hipsters.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#10 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:09 PM

Actually, with this, these, and the hardly-unknown Tom's, I might have shot my wad.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:12 PM

Oh, and Leske's Bakery in Bay Ridge. (This place is a VERY big deal. Best Danish pastry -- I mean real Danish pastry [from Denmark], not "danish" -- in New York.)

And the hardly-unknown Mill Basin Kosher Delicatessen.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 H. du Bois

H. du Bois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 4 2010, 07:02 PM) View Post
QUOTE(H. du Bois @ Apr 4 2010, 06:56 PM) View Post

then we need a thread that's invisible to hipsters.

Who here is good at technology?

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:31 PM

Oh, and I know this pizza place on Ave. J.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE(Sneakeater @ Apr 4 2010, 07:12 PM) View Post
Oh, and Leske's Bakery in Bay Ridge. (This place is a VERY big deal. Best Danish pastry -- I mean real Danish pastry [from Denmark], not "danish" -- in New York.)

And the hardly-unknown Mill Basin Kosher Delicatessen.

leske's was great in it's day. everything made from scratch. i think recently not as many things are made from scratch in-house. i hope the baker was just on vacation.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE(splinky @ Apr 4 2010, 11:40 PM) View Post
leske's was great in it's day. everything made from scratch. i think recently not as many things are made from scratch in-house. i hope the baker was just on vacation.

I haven't been there in several years. If what you're saying is true, then what made it so great will have disappeared.

Their almond paste -- I know there's a name for it -- was like heaven.
Bar Loser

MF Old