162 replies to this topic

#151 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 10:26 AM

A friend of mine recently told me how great Azurmendi (in Bilbao which isn't necessarily relevant to your trip) is with his children, so I wouldn't assume you can't do 2 and 3 stars

How old were the kids ?

A couple of us have stayed in the same airbnbs in San Sebastian, PM me if you want details

I would enjoy seeing the Airbnb listing, either here or in a PM ... whatever works best for you

#152 Jesikka

Jesikka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 11:21 AM

A friend of mine recently told me how great Azurmendi (in Bilbao which isn't necessarily relevant to your trip) is with his children, so I wouldn't assume you can't do 2 and 3 stars

How old were the kids ?

A couple of us have stayed in the same airbnbs in San Sebastian, PM me if you want details

I would enjoy seeing the Airbnb listing, either here or in a PM ... whatever works best for you

One is five, I think the other is 8 or 9, but he's also been taking them for years.  I definitely see young kids in those settings on occasion.  I'll PM the airbnb.

#153 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 12:57 PM

I saw a table full of five and six year olds at mugaritz.

#154 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 01:40 PM

i'd maybe rather sit next to that table than a table full of loud-mouth Americans.

#155 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,351 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

I was at Elkano Friday. Kids are fine there.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#156 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:42 PM

Fair enough ... I surely believe it happens ...

Now for the relevant question ...  would you recommend bringing 5 year olds to Mugaritz ?  or Azurmendi ? 

How about 3 year olds ? 

#157 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:24 PM

I held off for personal reasons ... a preference for being fully up-to-date ... so let's proceed ...

Context ...

Also do you think I can take a 3 year old to Elkano/Kaia Kaipe? Ibai?   Eating things won't be a problem, its just kids in a dining room issue.

Disclaimer #1 – I have ZERO idea what it’s like traveling with (or eating with or dealing with) little kids. Do 3 year olds walk yet ? talk yet ? eat normal food ? start screaming uncontrollably for totally unknown reasons ? does said screaming stop immediately cuz you pop a pacifier in its mouth ? I truly don’t know about any of this stuff, except for that walkie-talkie part. 
Re Elkano vs Kaia ... Elkano is indeed a more “fine dining” ambiance but I do think you could take a 3yo there, especially if you have a 16yo on hand to exit the resto with any crying or restless little ones as the parents continue to enjoy their meal. Northern Spaniards are pretty forgiving and understanding of families dining out and that kids are kids, but a loud, crying baby inside that resto would not be acceptable and would need to be taken outside IMHO. I would NOT recommend taking a 3yo to 2*/3* restos in Spain but although Elkano is a nice place and a civilized place, it’s simply not at that level.

I stand by the above words, strongly ... but this is simply one man's opinion ... 

Elkano also seats outside in the front and I think you could do very well with a kid there

I will note that those outside tables can be VERY noisy (aka semi-unpleasant) because they are right by an intersection with a major road ... and they CANNOT be truly reserved because they are highly weather-dependent (this is Basque country, remember, and the weather can change hourly) and they are in use for just a few months per year. More importantly, service outside is going to be much worse and the true Elkano experience is to be inside and soak in that wooden decor and be around the warmth of the other diners. If you are not going to be inside at Elkano, then just go to Kaia Kaipe. That said, as I said, young ones inside Elkano isn't a big problem if they are exited when overly-excited, as Bonner attested to

A friend of mine recently told me how great Azurmendi (in Bilbao which isn't necessarily relevant to your trip) is with his children, so I wouldn't assume you can't do 2 and 3 stars, I would just call the restaurants and ask because many of us on this board are child free

I don't know your friend ... we don't know your friend ...

but have you been to Azurmendi ? Mugaritz ? and would you recommend taking a 3 year old there ? or even a 5 year old ?

These restaurants, unlike almost every single resto in the United States, are TRULY in the SERVICE business

They will NOT say no. They WILL accommodate

But that's not the relevant question ... the relevant question is whether it's a good idea or not ... and Chambo says DON'T DO IT

For YOUR pleasure and for everyone else's, GET THE BABYSITTER ... tiny ones don't belong at these restos ... these restos are MAJOR EVENTS** ... they are NOT meals* ... and there is a MAJOR difference IMO

* Elkano is a meal ... Rekondo is a meal ... Zuberoa is a meal ... and I'm NOT really recommending these places ... just stating that they are meals and not events

** Quique is an event ... Diverxo is an event ... Disfrutar is an event ... etc ... and if the multi-stars aren't events then they are probably too sophisticated or too formal for tiny ones ...

YMMV ... and if others feel otherwise, do speak up because there is no one answer ... and I'm done on this subject and won't respond

mitchells ? you've been and you're a Dad ... and Father Knows Best ... 3yos in Azurmendi ... or 5yos ... good idea ?

#158 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,853 posts

Posted 25 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

Fair enough ... I surely believe it happens ...

Now for the relevant question ... would you recommend bringing 5 year olds to Mugaritz ? or Azurmendi ?

How about 3 year olds ?
the short answer is no. I would have taken my daughter to any restaurant in the world when she was three, but things change.

#159 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:47 PM

Old Town Coffee

Chambo loves this place ... been going daily ... very, very good flat whites ... nice terrace ... good, cool service ... very good breakfast (and I'm not even a bfast person) ,,, and they sell beans too ... hence this VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION ... trying to save myself an immediate chore in the City of Lights

Do I want to buy LA CABRA beans (whole beans, not ground) that were roasted on August 14 to be used starting on August 29 for the entire ensuing week ie 7 full days ? 

Beans will be manually ground chez Chambo by Chambo with Hario then put in a Bodum french press with hot water for 2 minutes 50 seconds

Normally I would want to buy my beans roasted within 6-10 days of use max ... but since I don't stray from this, I don't know the potential SEVERE consequences

The guys at shop say it's fine ... even when I reiterate that I'm doing "filter" and not "espresso" ... check out the label on the beans, please

Bonus points for the Team if 2 consistent responses come within next 5 minutes (otherwise response still useful before you 'mericans go beddie buy (bye ? by ? bi ? ... not sure)

arZr9ls.jpg

mMmIQNB.jpg

Prices are HALF the price of Paris ! HALF and it's better too !

d8d75BE.jpg

yS89XJ3.jpg

zI9Q0Jq.jpg

yQpBiUg.jpg

I can be there is FIVE minutes, Bonner !

liPvnKM.jpg

CZx3sTc.jpg

#160 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

While we like Sakona a little bit more than Old Town for their pour overs, I do get the charm of the outdoor seating.

RE: Beans  - I don't think you'd have much to worry about using that coffee when you're going to use it; I've been reading about some baristas using beans beyond what we think of as prime time, and getting excellent results. 

And I just looked at their web site, where they say (and which coincides with some of what I've been reading):

Our coffee performs best when thoroughly rested. For both espresso and filter brewing they peak after 30 days. In the case of filter we are happy to brew them after 14 days but after a month is ideal. The experience will be far superior; better flavour clarity, more integrated acidity and less bitterness. They simply open up, tasting more transparent and structured. We've aslo written a more in depth blog post about this.

They're breaking the mold!

#161 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 07:55 PM

Here's the aforementioned blog post...

https://www.lacabra....ting-our-coffee

#162 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 06:56 PM

While we like Sakona a little bit more than Old Town for their pour overs, I do get the charm of the outdoor seating

Sakona Coffee Roasters got demoted in Chambo's arsenal as solely to be used for afternoon cold brews ... and those are good.

Last year on my final Bastard day, the battle plan was Sakona for coffee, GOÑI for wine and photos at the fish market* of course ! Then immediately pedal back to hotel, return bike, load up car, high tail it to BIO in Bilbao, say bye bye Basque and prepare to be bonjour-ing before the coucher du soleil.

I executed excellently if I must say so myself, but Sakona's flat white was so inexcusably, amateurishly bad that they ruined the start of my last Spanish summer day to such an extent that I've held a grudge to this very moment

There's always problems percolating somewhere ... and Chambo's always optimizing ... always looking for a solution to problems that don't require one ... or do they ... that's a question for you to decide

* do you folks realize that I have thousands of pics from fish markets all over the place ... yep, I do ... I was considering doing a PhD fish seminar here at one point a few years ago ... but opted not to ... reason overcame me

Like I said, I'm not much of a breakfast guy. My normal morning breakfast is coffee and a yogurt, full stop

So I tried this the first day at Old Town and I liked it ... nice fruit, right ? There is amazing and cheap fruit throughout all of Spain, by the way ... ohhhhh and the tomatoes ... but that's a fruit too, I believe ...

FyF56jn.jpg

M5O2RP1.jpg

So yesterday on my final Spanish summer day, the plan was Old Town for coffee, GOÑI for wine, photos at fish market, of course ! Then immediately pedal back to hotel, return bike, load up car, high tail it to BIO, say bye bye Basque and prepare to be bonjour-ing before the coucher du soleil.

I executed excellently and so did Old Town !!!      even if this Caprese Bagel is actually a roll with hole because Spaniards don't know bagels from a hole in the wall.

I did indeed buy their La Cabra Ethopian beans, per joe, which I was drinking early this morn and I like very much.

Further, because they got a brand new delivery of some other beans that were roasted one week ago, I opted to additionally buy some Gardelli Ethopian beans that I have no real need for (they are hiding on the far right of the pic below) ... but that's not unexpected because I also suffer terribly from FOROOC, which is a sub-condition that FORO suffers often have deal with

Life isn't without its challenges ...

1TV3cB2.jpg

6mTLEwm.jpg

#163 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Good job.

And don't worry, as my research continues to show, resting beans longer than you think they should be rested for, might not be as bad as you (and I) once thought...

https://clivecoffee....offee-too-fresh