181 replies to this topic

#166 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:00 PM

I had a really nice espresso at parlor coffee in bushwick thanks to the list that taion posted up thread.

I still can't find a consistently okay option in central/north park slope. gorilla seems to be getting worse, the donought plant stopped using george howell, and grumpy is still too far south. is there someplace I'm missing?

#167 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 20 July 2016 - 03:35 PM

BTW, the $18 coffee ended up being the Ninety Plus Juliette.

My old roaster (before they had a pipe burst in their basement) sold it for $70 for a 12 oz bag, with $5 for shipping, so $18 for a 60 g bag is a pretty fair price.

I do wish it were something that were new to me, though.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#168 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 01:02 AM

A fantastic piece on this super-expensive gesha coffee: https://legacy.sweet...ha-i-mean-gorei

#169 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:49 AM

He's writing as if in 2002 he was already a seasoned coffee expert, but iirc it was only in 2001 (or maybe 2002) when sweet maria switched from being a joke in the trade to realizing they were consistently being taken for a ride by coffee bean merchants...

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#170 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:19 AM

That is not at all the impression I get from the opening paragraph:

I used to have this vain notion I was "there" for the discovery of Gesha coffee. Where? Panama, 2002. Or was it 2003? It was the first time the Gesha variety had been put before a panel of tasters, as a separate lot. But I hadn't been to many coffee-growing places yet. I was just trying to take it all in. It probably could have been a fruity over-fermented coffee and I wouldn't know the difference. And I didn't discover anything. I just tasted it, with a lot of other people. Many said things like, "Gee, that's different." We all agreed it was floral. It won.

#171 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Not when Boxkite sells Drop, Square Mile, &c.

You mean sold.

#172 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:57 PM

Way ahead of you there, buddy: http://mouthfulsfood...pool/?p=1385959

#173 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

The interesting – well, maybe not so interesting – thing about coffee is that, the better the coffee, the more tolerant it is of poor technique.

I don't know why this is. The first time I heard this (from Steve Holt at Ninety Plus), I more or less rolled my eyes and was like "yeah, whatever".

So anyway, the Superlatives thing I talked about a bit upthread – it was a completely disaster on the logistics. The roasting was done out of Australia, but the shipping agent apparently just sat on the roasted beans for a week and a half.

All in, I didn't get the beans until over a month after roast date.

So, now they're horribly stale and flavorless now, right? Well, no. Not at all.

I mean, the age of the beans was obvious as soon as I tried to use them. There was absolutely zero off-gassing during the pre-infusion, given that the beans already lost all of their CO2.

The weird thing, though? The coffee tastes great. The first time I made it, I was groggy from just having woken up and messed up the amount of water I added and had to eyeball the ratio, and yet the coffee was spectacular – it had that characteristic floral, round, honeyed sweetness that I chase above everything else in coffee.

Damn, but this would have been something even more spectacular if I'd gotten it in the peak of freshness.

Part of this is because the regular roaster that I use has been out of commission for the last half year or so due to a burst pipe over the winter, so a lot of the "wow" factor is just in contrast to typical single-origin coffee. I mean, this coffee is $70-$80 for a 12 oz bag, compared to the usual $20 or so. The extra expense isn't for nothing.

Still, not sure where to go from here. I'm not sure I trust this outfit not to mess up the shipping logistics again. There are a couple of roasters that accept mail orders for the Ninety Plus gesha coffees, but $80 for a bag of coffee is a lot. I guess I could take a step up and get in on the next George Howell limited roast for the Hacienda La Esmeralda gesha, which is even more exorbitantly expensive at $80 for an 8 oz bag, but... eh.

Drinking a coffee like that every morning for two weeks... I mean, I've done it before, but it's sort of a waste.

#174 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

Are you sure that having the shipping agent sit on the beans for a week isn't some special part of the process?

Bar Loser

MF Old

#175 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:13 PM

Well, they apologized for it... could be some elaborate misdirection though.

#176 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,101 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 05:54 AM

Ask them what the shipping agent was wearing.

#177 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:00 AM

I mean, come on, the poor shipping agent sat on a pile of coffee beans for a whole week.  It must have been horribly uncomfortable.  And I won't even think about what might have happened when he needed to relieve himself.  Maybe they were trying to mock up those coffee beans that get excreted by cats or something.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#178 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Good point. The next batch might not be as good without the "special treatment" from that shipping agent. Hmm. Now I'm even less sure what to do.

#179 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,824 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

I see that I’ve posted about their coffee upthread, and still can’t find better than OK coffee in my neighborhood, but the espresso I had at the parlor location in fort greene last weekend really blew me away. it’s on vanderbilt between park and flushing and they’re only open from 10-2 on sundays, so I guess they’re not a real coffee bar or whatever, but I’d say it’s definitely worth a short walk if you’re anywhere nearby. I guess it’s on the way to the new russ and daughter’s or transmission locations in the navy yard for most people.

tl/dr? the parlor coffee location in fort greene is amazing.

#180 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,519 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:17 PM

You can combine it with Russ & Daughters in the Navy Yard!
Bar Loser

MF Old