181 replies to this topic

#16 porkwah

porkwah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

is the stumptown at the ace hotel better than the one in brooklyn? i've all but stopped going to the one in brooklyn -- serious consistency issues.

Significantly better, if you're talking about Cafe Pedlar. I've stopped frequenting Pedlar and will go to Iris Cafe, which is also much better and more consistent.

yes, i'm talking about pedlar.
i haven't been to iris -- i'll try it. it's a bit out of the way for me.
i sometimes go to coop on atlantic (the crop to cup place). i've had excellent coffee there. they have consistency issues, but it's binary -- it's excellent ~90% of the time and terrible ~10% of the time. and customer service is excellent 60% of the time and terrible 40% of the time.

man, i need a headache

#17 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:59 PM

What's the joint on West Broadway the pulls Black Cat?

Kaffe 1668? They're actually on Greenwich though but the website lists their espresso blend as the Black Cat Ecco Reserve.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#18 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,923 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

is the stumptown at the ace hotel better than the one in brooklyn? i've all but stopped going to the one in brooklyn -- serious consistency issues.

Significantly better, if you're talking about Cafe Pedlar. I've stopped frequenting Pedlar and will go to Iris Cafe, which is also much better and more consistent.

i sometimes go to coop on atlantic (the crop to cup place). i've had excellent coffee there. they have consistency issues, but it's binary -- it's excellent ~90% of the time and terrible ~10% of the time. and customer service is excellent 60% of the time and terrible 40% of the time.

Frankies on the LES used to serve great coffee and then they expanded the annex area into a Pedlar and the coffee now sucks. I worry that Stumptown is overreaching.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#19 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

I've never had a decent espresso pull from the Co-Op.

#20 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:01 AM

Just curious. Are there people who will travel more than a block and a half for a cup of coffee?

Yes of course. I mean, you don't go to Starbucks if you actually like coffee, so usually it's necessary.

#21 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

I guess cause coffee for me is pretty much something in the morning before work or during the work day. Even on a Saturday morning, the thought of travelling for a cup of coffee is odd. On the other hand, if I were meeting someone and we didn't want food or drink, and there was a coffee bar in their neighborhood, I guess that would merit a journey. But it would seem odd to get on a subway just because the 1.5 oz "pull" over there may taste better than an espresso at any of the 50 or 60 places within 5 minutes of any other spot in New York. But that's just me; I'm kind of lazy.

#22 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

I guess cause coffee for me is pretty much something in the morning before work or during the work day. Even on a Saturday morning, the thought of travelling for a cup of coffee is odd. On the other hand, if I were meeting someone and we didn't want food or drink, and there was a coffee bar in their neighborhood, I guess that would merit a journey. But it would seem odd to get on a subway just because the 1.5 oz "pull" over there may taste better than an espresso at any of the 50 or 60 places within 5 minutes of any other spot in New York. But that's just me; I'm kind of lazy.

But you'll travel half an hour for a great steak? or incredible sushi?

Now you understand how the other 90% of the world feels about food geeks.

#23 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Yes, of course. It's a meal, not 1.5 oz of coffee.

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:17 PM

Getting on a subway is something else. I am talking about being on East 79th and Park, which I often am, and walking down to 73rd and Madison just for an espresso at Via Quadronno.

ETA: I agree I'm not getting on a subway to the UES just for coffee.

#25 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:20 PM

Well, that makes sense. I thought you were sitting around in the East Village one morning and thought, hmm, I'll take the F train for a few stops and transfer to the B to get to Queens so I can get some coffee.

#26 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,432 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

You said a block and a half, and I am dull and literal as you know.

If I am at MoMA, I will walk two or three blocks to Zibetto. That's the kind of thing I mean.

#27 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Well, that makes sense. I thought you were sitting around in the East Village one morning and thought, hmm, I'll take the F train for a few stops and transfer to the B to get to Queens so I can get some coffee.

When we lived in midtown east (this was before the espresso revolution) we would walk about 20 blocks for a decent espresso. There are certainly regulars at abraco who drive or bike from the far west village or chinatown-ish.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#28 juuceman

juuceman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Wilf - Where is Quadronno's midtown location, which you mention in the Pink Pig?

Puzzled. I don't know of one. Where do I mention that?

Eating the Apple, 2010 edition, Page 110 or so. You mention that they have a midtown branch that you were unaware of..

#29 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:15 PM

Was out walking the dog and went by Abraco. Ordered myself a pull -- "and put your back into it!". Nice fellow gave me a dog biscuit as well, which the dog didn't eat. That's some funky espresso. I'm guessing it's not a flavored coffee? Not quite sure I liked it, oddly tangy, but yes, very interesting.

#30 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,071 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 03:37 PM

I walked by a new espresso bar on 38th & Lex called Culture Espresso. Didn't have time to try it but it had all the trappings of a serious joint. (La Marzocco, Counter Culture, etc.)
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns