95 replies to this topic

#61 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:47 PM

got my postcard from wc telling me to call to set up the install of the new faster internet service. thinking i should maybe switch back to signature home for a few weeks to get a beter tech and my choice of installation day. SteveR i hope they can figure out how to duplucate your install

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#62 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:34 PM

in an insane twist, twc said i could install the new modem myself. then when i asked them to check on the upgrade eligibility at my mom's house (i'm her tech support and sugar mama) i was able to get her upgraded service at $40 less per month and perhaps $20 less than that if she takes their stupid phone service. then from what i learned by repackaging my mom's service, i went back and got some additional upgrades to my monthly service and reduced the cost of my monthly service by $20 per month. so right now due to clever repackaging i have the equivalent of signature home service with the concierge service but with additional premium channels and enhanced whole house dvr for $80 less a month than it would cost for signature home with premium channel package.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#63 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,637 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:00 PM

I'll give you $50 to call them for me.

#64 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,357 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:08 PM

Seconded

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#65 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

boys, boys, i'd love to help you

~Jack Handey

#66 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

had my install today. it was a 6 hour ordeal. i knew it was going pear shaped when the tech told me that he'd never heard of time capsule or sonos. they also sent the wrong dvr boxes with the tech. more on that later. so, now i have 300mbps service if i sit my laptop next to the time capsule but only 5mbps service in every other room. a supervisor had to come and fiddle with modem and he left me instructions for my call to apple to see if they can try changing the channels on the time capsule to see if it extends the signal broadcast. if that doesn't work he will come back and try his plan B.

so i was supposed to get enhanced whole house dvr and the ability to tape six shows at a time and watch the shows taped on either of two dvr boxes. instead the tech installed a new box that wasn't programed to record let alone share drives with another box. i had to explain several times what the set up was supposed to be. he had no idea how to configure it (it's what i had before and all that was suppose to happen was added functionality of multiple simultaneous recording and more storage for recordings. the new box did neither. and it didn't communicate with the master bedroom box. i convinced the tech to installed two of the smart boxes to see if that would work. (they are not supposed to).

the first tech was also kind of creepy and spent a lot of time trying to figure out if i lived alone. i wouldn't cop to it, but i noticed that he opened the master bath door and cracked the closet door, presumably to see if saw any man's stuff. he offered to drop by tomorrow with a replacement dvr (i told him that there's no work allowed in my building on weekends, he said he was sure they'd let him up. i'm not going to let him in. 

eventually after many reboots and later after the supervisor swapped the two boxes for one another (the first tech had placed the provisioned boxes in the wrong rooms which prevented them from properly initializing) the two boxes started to function correctly. the supervisor who came later seemed impressed that i was able to wrangle two smart boxes. and for all my trouble and bullying i get a bonus of now being able to record 12 shows at once and a ton of storage.

i sure do hope apple can help me to extend the signal

still, not too bad for a twc tech call, most end in total disaster.

~Jack Handey

#67 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,882 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:58 PM

My box broke. The cable guy was early!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#68 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:04 PM

My box broke. The cable guy was early!

the guy yesterday came 2 hours early

~Jack Handey

#69 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,882 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

Yeah, but THAT'S not a surprise: they're always early when they're thinking they might want to molest you.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#70 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:19 PM

had my install today. it was a 6 hour ordeal.

I know I'm missing something because you have a far more elaborate setup than I do.  That said, isn't it just a matter of telling your wireless devices the name of the new modem and then entering the new password?  The new modem is broadcasting on the same frequency as the old one, right?

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#71 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,021 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

I called Verizon.  They dropped my bill $20 month.

#72 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

had my install today. it was a 6 hour ordeal.

I know I'm missing something because you have a far more elaborate setup than I do.  That said, isn't it just a matter of telling your wireless devices the name of the new modem and then entering the new password?  The new modem is broadcasting on the same frequency as the old one, right?

That should be the case.  I don't have her fancy "I can record 6 different shows at once" cable boxes but my 2 boxes can each record 2 at once.  That being said, any program that we record from either box is available on the other… once recorded, all shows recorded by either box show up on the listing of recorded shows in both places.  As for the computer modem/router issue, I'm sitting in my den at my desk typing this & my Apple Time Machine is sitting on the desk right next to the new 300mbps TWC modem.  I have both wi-fi's working (not using the 2nd one that the TWC modem is capable of… I don't need 3), one from each and both of these wi-fi's, when activated, seem to utilize the same increased speed for the iMac sitting on my desk.  At least speedtest.com and a couple of other similar products tell me so.  Both of my iPhones and my iPad get both of these wi-fi addresses all thru our apartment (yep, even in the bathrooms… try not to visualize) and all seem to be fast on either.  I don't have a laptop, so I can't speak to whether or not it would be speedy when used in another room.

All that by way of saying that Splinky's technician was inept (& obviously Halloween creepy).  The guy who replaced my modem/router with the new 300mbps one a couple of weeks ago was very personable but immediately admitted his limitations on knowing how to set up my computer system so that my Apple router (in the Time Machine) could work parallel to the TWC one & that I'd be able to switch back and forth to each wi-fi.  But he swapped out the modem by being careful not to change the broadcast frequency and, when he left no more than 30-40 minutes later, I called TWC tech support & worked it out.  She found the new coded address (that ended in -5G) & helped me rename it to replace my old one and then make sure that all my devices, including my wireless printer, recognized it while not losing their recognition of my Apple wi-fi id/code.

It can be done.  That is, unless I think I have all this but really don't.  But, that'd be ok too since believing is good enough as long as things work when I press the buttons. 

This space available… contact owner.

#73 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

Both upgrades should have taken less than 20 minutes all told including provisioning time but the guy was clueless and didn't think a girl would know more about than he did. He also brought the wrong equipment several times and I think deliberately tried to prolong his stay. He was totally Halloween creepy.
After that I had the supervisor come to make sure I had the right modem and boxes and that the boxes both worked, because I didn't want to waste another day waiting for them. I was pretty sure I had the right stuff by then but one of the boxes didn't record correctly and still may not quite be communicating with it's mate in the other room. It's a software provisioning problem and I want to note all to he issues before I call again. The supervisor admitted to me that the new smart boxes had a high fail rate.
My wifi set up is different from stever's because my network is only through the time capsule. The wifi on the twc modem is turned off it'd cost like an additional 10 or 20 dollars monthly to have it turned on and I'm cheap. When I realized there was an added charge for using their modem's wifi I decided against it. That's what I had before but it also interfered with the time capsule and the phone service. The call to apple is to reset the modem channel and maybe take advantage of the twc 5g through the time capsule and extend the broadcast range.
Steve your current set up is technically against the twc rules but they won't take it away because they can charge extra for the wifi

~Jack Handey

#74 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

i got time warner to turn on the wifi on their modem today. so now i have 4 wifi networks set up. a 2.4 g and 5g on the twc modem and 2.4g and a5g on my time capsule. none of these run at 300mbps but twc says they think there's a line problem slowing the connection and they think they can fix it. the enhanced whole house dvr is still not working correctly but i have 2 terabytes of dvr storage

~Jack Handey

#75 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,839 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:55 PM

today was the 4th tech visit from twc since the initial "upgrade" installation last friday. the internet speed is still slow but improved. they claim that in addition to their line problem in the building there is also interference from a wireless router in another apt on my floor. the guy fiddled with the channels and that helped some. i will have to take some time and test different channels myself and see which has the least interference.

as it turns out the problems with the new dvr boxes are "known issues" but twc has no idea when the problems will be resolved. they promise software patches in the near future. in the meantime, programs record without sound and the boxes reboot constantly (sometimes 4 or 5 times an hour) causing scheduled records to be cancelled and interrupted. i had to pay to join hulu plus in order to watch the programs i had already paid twc to broadcast into my home because hulu plus allows you to watch the programs with sound. twc is paying me back for this months hulu plus subscription and i expect to ask them to reimburse me for hulu plus each month until twc can provide sound recordings along with the picture and fix the glitch that causes their dvr boxes not to record at all.

most worthless upgrade ever but on paper,  have pricing and services that should allow me to negotiate a great rate with verizon for fios or renegotiate with twc to keep me as customer. today i asked for and received a $40 credit for the services they haven't delivered but i will probably asked them to credit me for the entire monthly fee in the next few days.

worst upgrade ever!

~Jack Handey