479 replies to this topic

#466 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

they are gross IMO.  Early days they did some stuff that had a really salty component that made it interesting, but now Tosi seems to be playing a game of "how much sugar and transfat can I get into something ostensibly homemade"

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#467 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

Does anyone like their (momo in general) desserts? I remember being put off by them years ago and a recent viewing of Mind of a Chef reminded me how much so.

(figured the kids section of the thread might be the place to ask)

they are gross IMO.  Early days they did some stuff that had a really salty component that made it interesting, but now Tosi seems to be playing a game of "how much sugar and transfat can I get into something ostensibly homemade"

Yep - never liked any of the desserts.  I think some of the early ice creams were ok, which are really the first desserts I can remember.

#468 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,841 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

Ate in the new Columbus Circle (TWC) Noodle Bar.

This, and the adjacent Bãng Bar, are sort of what the initial iterations of Noodle and Ssäm Bar would have been if they didn't develop. Bãng Bar is what Ssäm Bar was supposed to be before it developed into a food lab for renegade cooks. And Noodle Bar is what Noodle Bar was supposed to be before it became the kind of place that could have led to Ssäm Bar.

So the menu is kind of simple: some bread sandwiches or wraps, some small plates, a bunch of ramen/noodle dishes, a couple of large plates, one meat, one fish (was the fish a whole fried dover sole? I think it was).

That dover sole is one typical Chang touch: let's offer what's usually an insane luxury item in a homely (but technically precise) preparation. And maybe if you look hard there are others. But the food seems to me to be basically basic. As it sort of must be: Uptown, shopping mall, etc. They're not going to fall into the trap White Gold did.

The cooking is very exact and proficient, as you'd expect at a Chang place. But this is the kind of place where the waitstaff sounds like it thinks it's introducing you to a life of foodie wildness when they tell you (as they probably correctly feel they must) that you can eat the heads and shells of the (beautifully cooked) fried prawns.

They claim to have developed a new kind of buckwheat noodle for the ramen, and yes, those noodles are good. But you have to do something very special to get people excited about your particular ramen in this City by this point.

Oddly, the best thing I had was a cucumber salad, which was surprisingly flavorful.

Service is perky.

So, in sum, perfectly good food: you won't go wrong if you stop here after a show at Rose Hall. What's missing is what made Momofuku great: the sense that you don't know what they're going to come up with this time, that you're probably about to eat something (very well done) that you'd never even thought of before. Happily, that spirit still exists at Ko Bar (and, I'm informed, has revived at Ssäm Bar). But don't go looking for it in the Time Warner Center.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#469 Tubbs

Tubbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

I wonder how it compares to the (very good) ramen place a block west on 9th Ave.

#470 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,841 posts

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

I also wonder how it compares to Bar Masa upstairs, where I haven’t been in years.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#471 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:54 AM

I was at Bar Masa several months ago. It was fine. Sort of overpriced.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#472 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,841 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:05 AM

To be clear, what's depressing and off-putting about this new Noodle Bar is the certainty that it won't develop into anything else.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#473 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:59 PM

Ate in the new Columbus Circle (TWC) Noodle Bar.

This, and the adjacent Bãng Bar, are sort of what the initial iterations of Noodle and Ssäm Bar would have been if they didn't develop. Bãng Bar is what Ssäm Bar was supposed to be before it developed into a food lab for renegade cooks. And Noodle Bar is what Noodle Bar was supposed to be before it became the kind of place that could have led to Ssäm Bar.

...But the food seems to me to be basically basic. As it sort of must be: Uptown, shopping mall, etc. They're not going to fall into the trap White Gold did.

The cooking is very exact and proficient, as you'd expect at a Chang place. But this is the kind of place where the waitstaff sounds like it thinks it's introducing you to a life of foodie wildness when they tell you (as they probably correctly feel they must) that you can eat the heads and shells of the (beautifully cooked) fried prawns.

...What's missing is what made Momofuku great: the sense that you don't know what they're going to come up with this time, that you're probably about to eat something (very well done) that you'd never even thought of before.

Well, as you said, it's a mall, no matter how upscale [and what proportion of the traffic at Time Warner, as at, say, Westfield, are tourists?]. I am very curious whether this is a precursor of Chang going mass-market [or relatively so] à la Ivan Orkin.  Maybe a Noodle Bar chain with chicken sandwiches and pork wraps?.

#474 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,204 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:06 PM

Does orkin have more than two shops?
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#475 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:10 PM

I'm not gonna mock anyone who convinces people fried bologna with American cheese is special.

#476 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:12 PM

I'm not gonna mock anyone who convinces people fried bologna with American cheese is special.

Yeah it's almost like mortadella with provolone.

#477 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,352 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:15 PM

A hot dog is a hot dog

#478 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:17 PM

Does orkin have more than two shops?

Some outfit called 'Corlex Capital' is supposedly financing 'worldwide' expansion 'over the next five years'.  I've never understood why the closest thing to a mass market ramen chain in the West has been wagamama. Most of the noodles in the New York area already come from Sun, right?

#479 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:33 PM

The Columbus Circle Noodle Bar is superior to the East Village original?

#480 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:48 PM

While the others I know haven't said it's superior to the original, they have given it kudos, especially for creativity.

I haven't been, and don't know if I'll ever - either here or the Hudson Yards locale.