2884 replies to this topic

#1591 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:49 AM

It's breeders like you that are contributing to global warming and/or social inequality and/or the oppression of disadvantaged groups and/or fascism and/or the Syrian Civil War.

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#1592 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,366 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:54 AM

We're just trying to outnumber chaotic good libertarians.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#1593 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 01:58 AM

Can someone direct me to the Tinder for lawful stupid neocons?

#1594 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,042 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:40 AM

That's the horrible irony of New York: working conditions for professionals suck so badly that it only makes sense to endure them if you live like a rich person.

But real estate and other costs here are so high that professional wages only buy you a middle-class life.

A truth few abused professionals are prepared to admit.

Eh, that's after you have kids, no? Life's pretty good for single/DINK people.

The city's a pretty fantastic consumption good.

Agree with the last statement, obvs.

But in the long run, unless you make it big, I think it's hard even if you don't have kids.

Of course, I'm just a failed lawyer. I'm not pulling in those tech bucks.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1595 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:19 AM

I'm nowhere near making it big, and long-run is going to be tough without good luck, but damn if I'm not living a damn sight better than most of my friends from e.g. high school who actually are more properly middle class (even bordering on upper middle class).

I mean, none of us have valets or butlers (except for Chambo), but in terms of things like food, travel, clothing, furniture, entertainment? It's pretty damn nice.

#1596 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

Trump promises me so much winning I'll have my own brownstone.  Or maybe a proper cast-iron loft like Creatives used to have when America was great and the murder rate was 14x what it is now.

#1597 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 03:32 AM

"Least likely to invade and annex Mexico".

#1598 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,214 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:13 AM

I'm nowhere near making it big, and long-run is going to be tough without good luck, but damn if I'm not living a damn sight better than most of my friends from e.g. high school who actually are more properly middle class (even bordering on upper middle class).

I mean, none of us have valets or butlers (except for Chambo), but in terms of things like food, travel, clothing, furniture, entertainment? It's pretty damn nice.

I steal my fathers  shoes, when I go back to my parent's house.

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#1599 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:14 AM

I tell my cat that if he can't make it big on YouTube, I might have to cut back on his food ration some day.

#1600 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,042 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

Not to pry, but savings?
Bar Loser

MF Old

#1601 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:35 PM

When I was in finance, yes.

Now, it's just a bet on the equity.

#1602 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 05:08 PM

none of us have valets or butlers (except for Chambo)

Give me a break ... will ya ... please !

It's not just me !

I've got butlers who have butlers who have butlers !

I've got valets who have valets who have bidets !

Are you being serious ! You truly don't have a butler ?

America is the greatest, richest country in the history of the world ! 

Are there actually people in America who don't have butlers ??? Do these people have a high school degreee or not ?

Look ... I'm going to take your word for it ... but I'm skeptical ...

But guys ... HELLO ! HELLO !

Life ain't about the assets that you hoard ... it's about the memories that you've stored ... and shared.

Life ain't about the money that you earn ... it's about helping humanity learn.

Don't ever forget that !

And don't forget this ...

You can't always get what you want but if you try some time you just find you get what you need ...

I should be a song writer.

Trump promises ...

And I am so sick of all this Trump talk.

Let's be honest ... the guy's a peon. 

In my peer group, we refer to him as the single-digit twit. He's worth less than 10.

Have you guys looked at the data recently ? 

There are THOUSANDS of billionaires !

THOUSANDS of them crawling around and scurrying here there and everywhere ! ! !

It's like an ant infestation and us woolly mammoths of the world need to watch our every step so we don't step on and squash them.

Being a billionaire nowadays ain't what it used to be.

Has anyone been to one of those Billionaire Balls recently ?

Pfffft ! 

They are horrible.

Everyone there is some stuffed shirt who thinks he's a big shot. The lines to get a cocktail are hellacious, the small talk is usually fallacious, barely a word is salacious and you must maintain interest and be gracious throughout.

It's like Chambo's worst nightmare because he simply doesn't like hanging out with the hoi polloi and prefers to socialize in more rarefied circles.

US double-digit billionaires enjoy hanging together and having each other's hairy back and keeping all the little ants from climbing in and up our pants and becoming king of the mountain one day.

It's a full time job.

From this thread I am sensing that there might be a lot of interest throughout the country in educating folks about how YOU TOO can breathe the rarefied air that we woolly mammoths inhale ... about how YOU TOO can easily rise above all the single-digit twits out there.

Hmmmm ... Chambo University. Helping Humanity Learn !

What a wonderful ring to it.

$36k a year seems like a bargain to me. We only aim to sign up a couple of million wannabe billionaires ... by going for a small niche market and keeping it exclusvie, we could focus solely on the greater NYC metro area ... first year revenues should be in tens of billions. It's like stealing candy from a baby.

This making money shit is just so ridiculously easy ... frankly, lying by the pool in this hot weather is almost as hard.

Later guys.

Splash !

#1603 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

Do you want the real answer on dim sum? Because you won't like it. Flushing or Sunset Park. Flushing is easier as you can take the lirr two stops.

Lobster Rolls are literally everywhere. How do you fall in the Mayo camp? I.e. the pearls style roll that is pretty much lobster salad or something less dressed. Also where are you staying

Sushi - are you looking for high end at a counter? Or do you prefer a table with the kinder?

I don't know if I want to travel that far for dim sum. I can get OK ones here, so unless it is really extraordinary... 

Mayo...I guess my position is best captured by your sig line. We're staying in UWS. 

Sushi would probably be for an adult night out, counter. Given how infrequently we get out (and free babysitting) we're not very price sensitive but the reservation/cancellation policies at Yasuda/Masa already put a damper on the mood for the evening, you know? 

But I could see taking the kids somewhere japanese mid priced izakaya-style, if it exists. They love gyoza, karaage, noodles, pretty much all fish and seafood...

Korean bbq is another option probably -- the only way I've ever gotten them to eat lettuce.

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#1604 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,999 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:03 PM

Lobster rolls are everywhere -- most aren't so good. Luke's is great in a pinch, but Red Hook Lobster Pound is, IMO, best.

Dim Sum, if you have to stick to Chinatown, I like Jing Fong, although the new Joy Luck Palace looks interesting, and got a thumbs up from Daniel on here.

Sushi -- the new chefs at Azabu are from Iwa in Tokyo, and it's currently my favorite, though I hear they may be moving soon. Kura is excellent and starts, I believe, at $80. Nakazawa is very good although somewhat pedestrian in its neta choices, but you can order a la carte if you're at a table or in the lounge area.

Thanks! 

Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#1605 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

Jah that was my feeling, and that's why I suspect I might need to slip him a fifty so that he doesn't worry too much about squeezing into his budget.

Any 'ethnic' recommendations in your borough then?  Not Thai in Red Hook...

Tacis Beyti. Excellent Turkish.

Chimu in Williamsburg.  (Peruvian.)

Korzo in Park Slope.

Sottocasa on Atlantic near Smith.  Teriffic pizza and salumi.

Fiore in Williamsburg.  Good Italian.  (Cash only.)

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China