2884 replies to this topic

#2581 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:24 PM

Holy cow. I presume they have a Vegas branch then.

I always thought that octopus pastrami looked a bit too Lovecraftian for my digestion.

Vegas, Atlantic City, Boca, Miami, Hamptons, Poconos... 

The octopus was decent, even if it was basically a repackaged dish from WD-50. It reminded me more of a marble tabletop than Cthulhu, personally. 

#2582 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

Edited: the competition nextdoor would be Frenchette? Their niches are a bit different though. [I've been trying to book Frenchette, but nothing comes up on Resy.]

Yeah, Frenchette. Which is too noisy to be considered "posh" I think. 

I'd say the niches are similar, at least as far as the food menus go - chef-driven, occasionally vaguely creative spins on classics. Similar price points. The vibe is different though. Based on my last Bâtard experience it didn't appear anyone under the age of thirty was going there anymore, unless their parents were taking them out. It was kind of like going back to the final year of Montrachet. 

It was relatively full, but I made a joke on leaving that it might be time to shut it down and re-open as Puligny or Chassagne or something. 

#2583 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

From a distance it looks like a terrine made exclusively of the big fatty bits from an old-school chunky pâté.  :(  Though I do rather enjoy the latter [like Wilfrid, I foundthe one Liebrandt made for Chefs Club made me nostalgic for traditional pastry-clad terrines].

Perhaps this should go under 'places I'm curious about', but is the Columbus Circle Noodle Bar far superior to the original E Village location?

#2584 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

Perhaps this should go under 'places I'm curious about', but is the Columbus Circle Noodle Bar far superior to the original E Village location?

Haven't been yet, but from what I gather it's mostly the same with a few dishes unique to each location. I assume it being summer all the truffle specials are gone for the time being. I suppose there's worse places to grab lunch if you happen to be in that part of town. 

#2585 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:45 PM

I started paying attention after I saw it listed amongst Sutton's best restaurants of the first half of 2019. LOL.

#2586 Seth Gordon

Seth Gordon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

I started paying attention after I saw it listed amongst Sutton's best restaurants of the first half of 2019. LOL.

I had an extraordinarily ordinary meal at Haenyeo, and can't fathom how he'd rank it that high, but de gustibus non est disputandum and all that. Maybe we just ordered the wrong things. 

#2587 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,892 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:17 PM

You don’t want a Downtown restaurant. You want an Uptown restaurant that happens to be below Houston Street.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2588 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

I don't think I care for Uptown people though. Or maybe my set more accurately are Uptown people who wish they were Downtown? [I seem to recall your slandering the current young people in the West Village as that sort.]

Edited: my set of course are actually skaters and surfers from the Jersey Shore. A friend of mine brought his deck with us into Momofuku Ssäm Bar last night, and the hostess very firmly requested to check it in.

#2589 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,913 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 06:17 PM

I wish anywhere was serving Chevalier's cuisine.

(It's not Lincoln, where Shea is just doing Ciano again, presumably at higher prices.)

#2590 GerryOlds

GerryOlds

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

What about Pastis 2.0?

#2591 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 07:53 PM

the pork and lamb wraps at the takeout counter next to the columbus circle noodle bar are nice.

#2592 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 08:11 PM

Jah, La Mercerie feels more a café.

Il Mulino moved from the Village to Tribeca?

I think I'd rather put a pistol to my head than go to Nobu. :cool: I don't think I could go back to Bâtard after being served frozen foie gras there, heh. I for one wish Liebrandt was still cooking in that location.

Edited: OK, I do admit it's interesting Bâtard has a quail pithivier on their menu right now.

I wish Le Coucou served the late [and lamented by me at least] Chevalier's cuisine. That would be pretty close to my ideal Downtown restaurant.

Edited the edited: oh man, soufflé with strawberry compote. Will I have to give Bâtard another chance?

Mulino didn't close their Downtown place, just added a Tribeca location. (There's also "Il Mulino Prime" in SoHo, and 8,000 or so other locations strewn about the country.)

Il Mulino Gramercy recently opened in the old Veritas space (across from Gramercy Tavern).

#2593 Neocon maudit

Neocon maudit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 11:13 PM

What about Pastis 2.0?

Has anyone tried it yet? Cuozzo was thrilled to see it return, but his assessment of the food was: 'The dishes I tried from chef Michael Abt held their own against those of Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson'. I guess that's good.

No dinner tables on Resy. I feel fairly confident we could probably walk in, but this is a birthday dinner, so I'd like to be somewhat more certain.

Bâtard has plenty of tables. LOL.

#2594 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,892 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:39 AM

Crown Shy is downtown.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#2595 The Flon

The Flon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:21 AM

Crown Shy is downtown.

and a tough reservation for prime hours but bar serves full menu.