Vaucluse and Majorelle

#2822 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:00 PM

Frenchie friends in NYC imminently to visit their lovely Tribeca-based daughters ... [just taking some precautions here :) ] ... but I digress

1. They are considering going to Nom Wah in Chinatown for dinner ... should they be actively dissuaded ? 

Nom Wah is a hole in the wall, right ? If so, is Great NY Noodletown an across-the-board superior choix ? or what ?

And is G NY N (and/or N W) BYOB nowadays or not ?

Personally I think that they should do Sichuan in the city because good, real Sichuan is unavailable in Paris

Is Lan Sheng still very good ? If not, what ? and it must be CPSouth or below ... and lower is probably better but quality first

2. Is there any good reason for them to be going to Hometown BBQ in Red Hook for dinner ? It seems to me like a LONG haul for BBQ and they are NOT planning on going there on a weekend. Assuming Hometown isn't an amazing choice then what's the top 2 BBQ contenders in Manhattan for a good overall dining experience ?

3. Joseph Leonard for brunch ? How good of an idea is this ? It's theirs, not mine. I've passed along Atla, Russ & Daughters Cafe, Momofukos, RedFarm. They've done Katz before

4. When I asked him if his preference was casual, he responded as follows ... Yes I prefer casual, unpretentious, good value, where the chef owns or co-owns the restaurant, rather than a VC / private equity fund, with layers of partners and directors ... take a wild guess what biz he's in ? .... anyhoo I also offered up Atoboy, Totto and Tori, Cafe Altro ParadisoThe Bombay Bread Bar (although I went Paowalla two years ago so I'm only guessing on this one) and I tossed out Locanda Verde as a close to the gals option with the caveat that I have zero idea what it's like nowadays

Act fast !

#2823 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,421 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:07 PM

Hometown is quite good and i'd say its def in the top 2. Is it worth a trek to Red Hook? Depends how much they like bbq and or a ferry ride?   On a weekday non-rush hour if based in tribeca and happy to uber it? Kind of super easy actually.

Joseph Leonard will feel kind of west village cool, but its weak food wise and is pretty uncomfortable.  Would not recc personally - but I get the appeal. Given his asks I would not recc to him. Its part of a larger group that is not food driven.

BBB is no more.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#2824 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

Great NY Noodletown is better than Nom Wah but both are dive-y compared to Wu's.  Wu's is a better place of the same ilk, in my opinion.  Much nicer room, still byob, and easy to navigate.  Takes reservations too.  From what I saw in May, all 3 are much better than anything Cantonese/Hong Kong'ish in Paris.  But you're correct: Szechuan is the thing here.  Haven't been to Lan Sheng in quite awhile so can't vouch for it.  You also have to have some knowledge to order at a Szechuan place compared to a Cantonese.

I agree with Bonner.  Hometown is comparably better for bbq than almost any Manhattan place.  Its not, by itself, a destination, but it sits in an area with a great Manhattan skyline view over the water, Statue of Liberty included.  Its also 4 very walkable blocks to the Prieto Chocolate and Black Widow Bourbon place, the Red Hook Winery (couple of hundred NYS grape wines by the glass) & Steve's Key Lime Pie.  Overall, might be worth it.

This space available… contact owner.

#2825 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:29 PM

Yes I prefer casual, unpretentious, good value, where the chef owns or co-owns the restaurant, rather than a VC / private equity fund, with layers of partners and directors ... take a wild guess what biz he's in ? .... anyhoo I also offered up Atoboy, Totto and Tori, Cafe Altro ParadisoThe Bombay Bread Bar (although I went Paowalla two years ago so I'm only guessing on this one) and I tossed out Locanda Verde as a close to the gals option with the caveat that I have zero idea what it's like nowadays

cough, cough, if you are looking for casual, I am pretty sure we do not require shoes...  Seriously speaking, there is no real Cantonese Chinese restaurant I would offer up to a traveler, one that is a friend too .. People here seem to like Wu's, I am personally offended by it so, who knows.. I don't think I would offer Great NY Noodle Town to most. It's pretty dicey in there and it requires exact ordering.   Different strokes, for different folks.. I would probably recommend a hot pot place to them.. Little Sheep or something along those lines.. Fun, interesting, familial gathering around a fire and pot.  Sounds like my kind of tuesday.. 

BBQ, I mean, Danny Meyer is not a bad choice, Blue Smoke is still alive and kicking, keeps them in Manhattan.. Especially after they had just traveled to my place the night before. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2826 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

Without a doubt the places they are considering are the girls' suggestions cuz Dad wouldn't know about any of these places and Mom might but she would surely let the girls lead the way in "their" city ... me too, of course, unless they are heading down a road that should NOT be traveled

Hence sounds like Hometown is perfectly fine and I'll simply suggest that they consider my brunch options as ... hint ... very good backup choices

I do think they could benefit by a Nom Wha upgrade though 

So to confirm, WU is BYOB ... and do we think that G NY N and Nom Wha both BYOB too ? and if corkage fees, all would be <= $20 ? I'll tell him to call to confirm of course but I just want to give him a general idea ...

And Daniel, you are recommending Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot on the Bowery, correct ? What the order for 4 there ?:

Re knowledge to order at a Szechuan, I have that knowledge so they'll have no issues

#2827 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,269 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 07:56 PM

Without a doubt the places they are considering are the girls' suggestions cuz Dad wouldn't know about any of these places and Mom might but she would surely let the girls lead the way in "their" city ... me too, of course, unless they are heading down a road that should NOT be traveled

Hence sounds like Hometown is perfectly fine and I'll simply suggest that they consider my brunch options as ... hint ... very good backup choices

I do think they could benefit by a Nom Wha upgrade though 

So to confirm, WU is BYOB ... and do we think that G NY N and Nom Wha both BYOB too ? and if corkage fees, all would be <= $20 ? I'll tell him to call to confirm of course but I just want to give him a general idea ...

And Daniel, you are recommending Little Sheep Mongolian Hot Pot on the Bowery, correct ? What the order for 4 there ?:

Re knowledge to order at a Szechuan, I have that knowledge so they'll have no issues

more importantly, i said my place, jerko... But yeh, little sheep hot pot is a lot of fun.. I would get the fish balls with roe, I would get some green vegetables, the lamb, the fish paste balls, the sliced fish, the clear noodles, and whatever else looks good. 

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2828 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:06 PM

keeps them in Manhattan.. Especially after they had just traveled to my place the night before

Daniel Daniel Daniel, this would wreck your marriage ! TRUST ME !!!!

You could barely keep your dirty little paws off that Uberette, right ?

These two sirens are world class lasses and they would sink your battleship so suddenly you wouldn't be able to swim to shore and you'd drown and your dreams would go down with you ... you know it and I know it !

Screw your head on right, will ya !

You should thanking me a millionfold for my wisdom in these departmental matters

And what do I get in return, huh !

jerko...

Chambo the jerko, right ? 

That dirty dog don't hunt, Daniel ! You should be ashamed !!!

You're the jerko Daniel cuz you can't see past your ... your ... bottom ... bottom line

I bet you were jerking already, huh ... were ya ? be honest with us ...

#2829 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

I don't think either Noodtletown or Nom Wah would permit you to bring in wine.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2830 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:10 PM

Really ? Hmmm, seems like some calls are in order

Didn't they used to ???

#2831 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

I didn't think so.  So I might be wrong.

Note that Nom Wah has been taken over by a new generation of the owning family and is now run much more like a normal mainstream restaurant.  I wouldn't even call it a "hole in the wall" the way Noodletown is.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2832 mitchells

mitchells

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:36 PM

Has anyone ever said, "I sure wish I had a glass of wine" while eating at Noodletown?

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

#2833 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,528 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 08:39 PM

I was going to add that.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#2834 rozrapp

rozrapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

Crown Shy just started serving brunch.

#2835 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,311 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

Yes, they should be actively dissuaded from Nom Wah for dinner. Of the 3 Cantonese-y places mentioned, Wu's is certainly the choice to have a nice meal, and yes, it's bring your own wine. The wine glasses are a bit of a drag, but still so much better than the unwashed water glasses of tea handed to you at GNYN (that's why the wine pros going to Wu's bring their own setups). P.S. Ordering right helps here as well. Share their classic NY #1 wonton soup to start.

Our last few Sichuan experiences, whether in Manhattan or in Flushing, haven't made me want to rush back to either. I'm eating Hunanese here in the city.

I'd have no problem taking adult parents (well, not mine) to Blue Smoke. Lots of good booze there with passable smoked meats and other stuff to order if someone doesn't want 'cue. Hometown always appears to be at the top of lots of lists for a reason - it's good, but worthy of the schlep is another story.

And the parents - what about one of those places with a view that you've enjoyed, chamboski, at least for a cocktail?  Manhatta? The Fulton? Maybe even Wayo, Chango's latest at the seaport.

Russ & Daughters always wins out for me - a total classic, and still the best of its ilk.  Beware no ressies for breakfast or brunch.

Nothing wrong with Altro Paradiso in that 'hood.  You know what? Nothing wrong with Aqua Grill either.

I've also heard about this place in Clinton Hill, now with a new location in Willyburg... :)