MF Old

#168 paryzer

paryzer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

Smorgasburg will be debuting in Manhattan (76 Varick St.) in early August.

A little smaller than the Brooklyn sites, at 22,000 square feet, this location will allow for an indoor market in the winter for a daily, year-long Smorgasburg. “It’s a fully designed and landscaped site with shading.”

Rather than generator-powered food stands, the space allows for food truck parking. Since Smorgasburg is technically a private space, vehicles don’t need a mobile food vending permit, something Demby hopes will make it easier to find first-time mobile vendors.

On weekdays, there will be four to six food options, with many more on weekends. Not only will this location serve food (and drinks), but it will also combine with Brooklyn Flea to bring in up to 40 other vendors and products. “It’s like a smaller and hybrid version of Smorgasburg and the Flea,” Demby says. He’s trying to source an Airstream to serve as the bar, which will have a full liquor license pending Community Board approval.

http://ny.eater.com/...-soho-manhattan

Follow me on Instagram @eparyzer

#169 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:34 PM

I visited Smorgasburg (East River Park) for the first time today. I was surprised to see so many vendors that were familiar to me - Red Hook Lobster Pound, Rai Rai Ken, etc., because I was under the impression that most of the food at Smorgasburg couldn't be found elsewhere. I had a spinach and paneer dosa from Dosa Royale, which was fine, nothing special, although the okra served with it was notable for its awful woodiness. The most popular dish there seemed to be a dragon fruit with a straw in it. Anyway, it was nice out, and the lines weren't bad. I could see going once a year.

#170 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:25 AM

I was under the impression that most of the food at Smorgasburg couldn't be found elsewhere.

The Big Lie of Smorgasburg.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#171 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

I was under the impression that most of the food at Smorgasburg couldn't be found elsewhere.

The Big Lie of Smorgasburg.

To be fair, only partially false. As with the original Red Hook Ballfields vendors, quite a few of the Smorgasbord vendors couldn’t originally be found elsewhere. But, just as Brooklyn Flea & then Smorgasbord helped the Red Hook folks replicate & then branch out to brick & mortar, several of these vendors’ success at Smorgasbord helped them expand as well. I think Dosa Royale might be a good example of that (not sure).

This space available… contact owner.

#172 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,195 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:35 PM

Fair point.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#173 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:10 PM

That may true of some of the vendors, but Rai Rai Ken opened in 2000 - long before there was a Smorgasburg. Eh, it matters not. I was with friends from Boston, and it was all new to them. I couldn't find a vendor list online, which would've helped me plan a little better. I did find lots of blog posts about "the coolest new stuff at Smorgasburg for 2017." Those weren't too helpful, because my interest in spaghetti formed into a donut shape is very low.

#174 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

WNYC will host a table for a few hours at the Brooklyn location on December 9.

Discounted beverage coupons for members, etc.

Email on the way to members.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#175 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

Went to the burg in Billyburg this weekend. Lovely weather, lots of fall attire being prematurely donned. I was trying to familiarize myself with the new products. Lots of long lines keeping me from trying to popular items. I passed by cupcake Pizza with a group of children I was with. Rightfully so, there was no one in line. I selected 4, 3 bite cupcakes for 14 dollars. Actually before tax as there is a credit card charge there now. It was like almost 2 dollars more for using a card.
They threw the cupcakes into some small oven thing. Moments later, the unevenly heated cupcake was given to me. I want say it’s among the worst things I’ve eaten. It definitely is one of the most anger inducing things I’ve ever eaten. I can definitely say, it’s been a long time since I have had something so bad. The sauce must be commercial. It was sweet and thick, maybe like lots of tomato past and sugar, the pastry was just, I don’t know. I googled pizza cupcake and several links from pillsbury and Betty Crocker dating back 10 years ago but according to Delish.com someone invented them less than a year ago. I don’t know, it’s been days later and I don’t understand why Puzza cupcakes exist outside of well the Betty Crocker website.
I tried to get meat on a stick from d’abruzzo but yeh, the line was too long. Multiple dumpling people with long lines, I settled on Chinese noodles that were bland despite me asking for extra hot and them making a big deal about it.
So that was fun.

Beautiful day to sit outside.if someone wants to steal my hipster egg roll idea, I still think you would do well there. Just find away to put avocados in one or dip one into one and you will be ok.

The food sort of is like a return to being a toddler. What else do kids like, fish sticks, jello cups, mashed potatoes, creamed corn, popcorn, hot dogs, chicken fingers, snack packs, pudding cups, cheese sticks. Ooo what about like gourmet Cheerios in a baggy. Grapes cut in half. There’s an idea in there and it could be the next big thing.
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#176 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,571 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 02:53 PM

Grapes cut in half. There’s an idea in there and it could be the next big thing.

I think we called them Bette Davis eyes when I was catering.

Dipped in goat cheese and chopped pistachios maybe?

Oh yeah...https://www.food.com...petizers-165227

#177 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,907 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

Jesus Christ. Also like corn dogs. What’s an obnoxious thing you can make for Instagram involving a corn dog. Just one that has exploding cheese. Mashed potatoes on a stick. Fried crouquetas on a stick wrapped with bacon dipped in nachos and then ripped apart by the hands of a person who has no intention of eating it.

A cone of mashed potatoes covered in chili, cheese, truffle hot sauce and then like shaved truffles over top. “Oh my god you guys, this is life”

Is there an online archive that has children’s menus from around the country. I need some serious research
Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#178 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,956 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 03:57 PM

Grapes cut in half. There’s an idea in there and it could be the next big thing.

I think we called them Bette Davis eyes when I was catering.

Dipped in goat cheese and chopped pistachios maybe?

Oh yeah...https://www.food.com...petizers-165227

You learn something terrible every day.

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns