#31 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:45 AM

Early Friday Evening.

There’s a gallery opening at 7 Easy Street, but Chambo is strolling into 4 Easy Street just before 7.

What gives ?

Naturally, there’s a little wine tasting going down at 4 Easy Street that ends at 7pm.

Sean Larkin of Larkin Wines is in town and pouring: Sauvignon Blanc, "Grand" (a red blend) and Cabernet Franc. The Sauv B and Cab F weren’t bad. Sean was pouring at Current Vintage – just one of those normal vintage clothing, home decor and wine shop combinations. Believe it or not, they have a reasonable set of wines on offer (for a vintage clothing, home decor, wine shop combo).

I cross the street and check out the gallery at 7 Easy Street.

Truly. Terrible. Art.

Onwards and upwards.

Chambo is now heading elsewhere. On a little piece of paper in his pocket is the following address: 7 Old South Wharf. Hmmm, mighty suspicious … what’s Chambo up to ?

Old South Wharf is a sickeningly, charming little nook just south of Straight Wharf. With boat docks on either side, Old South Wharf is a string of one little, touristy gallery after the next.

http://www.bing.com/...554&form=LMLTCC

These galleries are all open this Friday evening. Some have wine on offer. Others, wine and cheese. In general, these wines are pretty pathetic (white: insipid pinot grigio, red: Yellow Tail, no: that was not a misprint, cheese: cheddar). The art is not much better.

Hmmm, seriously suspicious … what’s Chambo up to and what is he doing here ?

Chambo has been reading the Inky Mirror. He saw an ad in the Inky about a place call Dupree & Company. The place is new. It opened on Memorial Day this year, so someone said. The ad referenced 60-something French cheeses and plenty of Burgundian wine. It’s kind of like spilling a gallon of honey on your front steps and wondering if there will be any ants assembled in the morning. Spill the beans on French wine and cheese and Chambo will surely be on your front steps.

Or, at least, that was Dupree & Company’s experience.

What the heck is this wine and cheese shop doing intermingled with all these itsy-bitsy galleries on Old South Wharf ? What’s this place doing here ? Sounds like a job for Scotland Yard.

I enter.

Upon first glance, the large, tall glass display case does indeed have dozens of cheeses. Shockingly, the prices seem very fair. My eyes light up a bit. Fair prices? On ACK? Is this possible? I inspect further. Ohhhhhh, those prices are not "per pound", they are "per ½ pound". Got it. That’s more like it.

But I came to check out their Burgundian wines. Reasonable growers ! I’m seeing price tags for most bottles, but the Comte Lafon Meursault has no price displayed ? My eyes continue to scan the row of bottles. I’m seeing prices for the other bottles, but now the Comte Lafon Volnay Santenots-du-Milieu is again without a price! I pick up the bottle and spin it around – no price, no where. Hmmm. My eyes continue onwards and I’m now looking at a bottle from the winemaker Benjamin Leroux. However, I’m now feeling a pair of eyes watching me from behind. And now I hear a soft voice from behind ask me:

“Do you know the grower Comte Lafon?”

Hahahahaha. This guy has no frickin’ idea that he’s addressing Chambo !

Nonchalantly, without turning around, without expressing any emotion, I rhythmically respond:

"Dominique? Yes, I do. And I know Benjamin Leroux, too. Do you?"

My interlocuteur’s reply:

"As a matter of fact, I do. It just so happens that I worked with Benjamin. He is the winemaker at ... "

I interject, still with my back to my interlocuteur, still perusing the rest of the Burgundian bottles:

"At Comte Armand in Pommard. I’m not the biggest Pommard fan, but their Clos des Epeneaux has given me pleasure from time to time".

"As a matter of fact, I did work as Benjamin’s assistant at Comte Armand."

I now turn around. We’re face to face. We both smile at each other. We are sizing each other up, admiringly. We are slowly realizing that we are both members of an exclusive club. I continue:

"I’m good friends with his Benjamin's brother Florent who owns the bicycle rental shop in Beaune. I met Benjamin for the first time in New York City a few years back when he was doing a tasting of his wines at Crush Wine and Spirits in midtown. He’s a nice guy. I must admit that we clearly aren’t the best of friends because when I was just in Beaune a month ago, he wouldn’t schedule a tasting for me at Comte Armand. It was holiday weekend. He said something like I hope you understand that I need to spend Sunday with my family. Pffffft ! "

My interlocateur smiles. He introduces himself as Ethan Dupree. He has wild, exotic, almost mesmerizing blue eyes. (No, I don’t want to sleep with him.) He asks me my name.

"Chambo."

"That’s a curious name ?"

"I guess ? It’s my nickname. Anyway, some folks are members of Club Med. Others, like us, are members of Club Burg. Pleased to meet ya ! " I extend my hand.

We shake. We chat. Ethan’s a pretty cool guy.

If you are on ACK and want a big selection of French cheeses and don’t really mind what they cost, check out his Dupree & Company. He does private wine and cheese tastings. He’ll probably do whatever you want, within reason, if you are willing to pay the price.

By the way, now’s as good a time as any to mention this. Want to hear a good one. Did you know that Nantucket and Beaune were sister cities?

Now you do:

http://currentvintag...m/blog/2010/10/

You don’t trust a Nantucket vintage clothing, home decor and wine store source? Fine. How about this:

http://en.wikipedia....4_sister_cities

Current Vintage.
4 Easy Street.

Dupree & Company.
7 Old South Wharf.

#32 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

Late Tuesday Evening.

Solo Chambo sat at the pseudo-semi-circular bar ce soir.

The 8-seat bar was pale-yellow lacquered.

The bar top sought to propose a nautical cartographic theme with intermingled quotes thrown about like flotsam and jetsam.

In front of Chambo on this very lacquered bar top was the following Drinking Song:

Wine comes
in at the mouth
Love comes in at the eye
That's all we shall
know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth
I look at you and I sigh.

Chambo sighs.

For he recalls sitting in this exact seat on a prior occasion and he recalls reading this exact rhyme.

Final question: Where is Chambo ?

Final clue: Just to Chambo's left is another lacquered inscription:

Oran Mor
Has Good Liquor
Fit for either priest or vicor
But to drink and not to spill
Will try the utmost of your skill.

Other things that were found in front of Chambo tonight included:

Yellow Zucchini, Tomato and Saffron Bisque
Smoked Chatham Mussels, Croutons, Basil Oil

Grilled Portuguese Octopus
Fingerling Potatoes, Fava Beans, Calamata Olives, Chorizo, Chimichurri

Spice Roasted Pekin Duck Breast and Leg Confit
Organic Emmer, Quinoa, Baby Bok Choy, Fig Preserve, Port Wine Sauce

A bunch of crappy wine by the glass
But really, how can wine by the glass compete with Chambo's cellar

Chambo was then asked about dessert and he responded:

Negative. I have a rendez-vous across the street at The Juice Bar and then I have to high tail it out to The Far Dock.

With a cup filled with toffee crunch and blackberry, Chambo high tails it to The Far Dock.

Final, final question: How did Chambo high tail it from The Juice Bar to The Far Dock?

Oh come on guys ! Am I talking to myself here ! You should know this by now !

Chambo rambled down Easy Street ! :

http://maps.google.c...lg=w&z=17&via=1

And as Chambo approached The Far Dock, but still 100 yards away, it was crystal clear (by looking at the upper decks of the biggest motor yachts) that Big Zip and Kisses were still in port. However, there were indeed new additions. The two most interesting were Bella Vita (Palm Beach, FL) and Endless Summer.

Bella Vita and Endless Summer - what more needs to be said ...

#33 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Hi Chambo. Haven't been to ACK or MV in a long time so it's fun to read your posts. Still have my Souza's Fish Market T-shirt. We usually get those Big Beasts with the Cayman flags in August up here in Portland, on their way to various coves downeast. Silver Cloud looks definitively whacko to me.

Loved the Portuguese Grilled Octopus dish. July is the big octopus harvest over there - lived there as a teen so it brought such fond memories I'm off to go find some.

Cheers
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"
- Rachael Ray in a potentially lucrative new gig

Portland Food Map.com

#34 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

I'm drawing a blank on the restaurant but I think I recall it.

We were Souza Lobster fans too. If you think Silver Cloud looks whacky on line, you ought to see it in person..44' beam. They're docked 100 yds off our bow; but taking off for a week..maybe headed your way? Bella Vita and Endless Summer pass through every season.

Chambo, Keep the posts coming. Brings back nice memories.

Just for fun, who owns this boat? no cheating by googling..:)

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Hi Chambo. Haven't been to ACK or MV in a long time so it's fun to read your posts. Still have my Souza's Fish Market T-shirt. We usually get those Big Beasts with the Cayman flags in August up here in Portland, on their way to various coves downeast. Silver Cloud looks definitively whacko to me.

Loved the Portuguese Grilled Octopus dish. July is the big octopus harvest over there - lived there as a teen so it brought such fond memories I'm off to go find some.

Cheers

#35 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

No need to draw any blanks on the restaurant. Go back and click the provided link in your Final Clue (and if you let the photos scroll by, you can even see that fully-populated bar, but not the bar top) ... I'm drawing a blank on the boat owner though ...

Hi Chambo. ... Still have my Souza's Fish Market T-shirt. ... Loved the Portuguese Grilled Octopus dish.

Hey there, johnnyd. If you went to Souza's Fish Market*, then maybe there was a chance you also bought some overpriced supplies to finish off your dinner at Annye's (no misspelling (sp?) on that Annye's by the way).

Annye's Whole Foods is a bit of an organic lover's institution for mid-island folk and is worthy of a post all on her own.

You can see Annye's to the right (to the East) of Souza's on the same street as Cinco and the yoga place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Souza's+Seafood,+Trotters+Lane,+Nantucket,+MA&hl=en&ll=41.265896,-70.087591&spn=0.004702,0.009645&sll=41.266195,-70.118179&sspn=0.075224,0.154324&z=17

I pass by here all the time because the only gym on island is located on Young's Way - one street away from Annye's, two from Souza.

Re that Portuguese Grilled Octopus dish, those were some mighty lime-green fava beans (used quite sparingly, not enough of them), but the chorizo was so so mild and soft that I relooked at the menu to verify that it was indeed chorizo and not some Portuguese blood sausage or something. Frankly, I'm not convinced that I ate chorizo last night in that dish. I will report back if necessary ...

* FYI Souza's swordfish is $16.95/lb but caught with long lines about 200 miles off the coast, whereas East Coast Seafood traffics in freshly harpooned $18.95/lb sword, currently being speared 30 miles from ACK. Swordfish can be lazy and just lollygag around near the surface. Big mistake.

For Margs: Sauza (Hornitos) works just fine.
For sword: go east, young man, go east to East Coast Seafood.

#36 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

I don't think I was aware of East Coast Seafood when I was there. BTW, for the uninitiated, harpooned sword fish is far superior to long lined. The fish is killed quickly and doesn't writhe around on a hook for many hours, stressing the fish and affecting the flesh..well worth the small premium.

Boat hint..their wine cellat is well stocked with a specific CA cab that gets a premium price.

No need to draw any blanks on the restaurant. Go back and click the provided link in your Final Clue (and if you let the photos scroll by, you can even see that fully-populated bar, but not the bar top) ... I'm drawing a blank on the boat owner though ...

Hi Chambo. ... Still have my Souza's Fish Market T-shirt. ... Loved the Portuguese Grilled Octopus dish.

Hey there, johnnyd. If you went to Souza's Fish Market*, then maybe there was a chance you also bought some overpriced supplies to finish off your dinner at Annye's (no misspelling (sp?) on that Annye's by the way).

Annye's Whole Foods is a bit of an organic lover's institution for mid-island folk and is worthy of a post all on her own.

You can see Annye's to the right (to the East) of Souza's on the same street as Cinco and the yoga place:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Souza's+Seafood,+Trotters+Lane,+Nantucket,+MA&hl=en&ll=41.265896,-70.087591&spn=0.004702,0.009645&sll=41.266195,-70.118179&sspn=0.075224,0.154324&z=17

I pass by here all the time because the only gym on island is located on Young's Way - one street away from Annye's, two from Souza.

Re that Portuguese Grilled Octopus dish, those were some mighty lime-green fava beans (used quite sparingly, not enough of them), but the chorizo was so so mild and soft that I relooked at the menu to verify that it was indeed chorizo and not some Portuguese blood sausage or something. Frankly, I'm not convinced that I ate chorizo last night in that dish. I will report back if necessary ...

* FYI Souza's swordfish is $16.95/lb but caught with long lines about 200 miles off the coast, whereas East Coast Seafood traffics in freshly harpooned $18.95/lb sword, currently being speared 30 miles from ACK. Swordfish can be lazy and just lollygag around near the surface. Big mistake.

For Margs: Sauza (Hornitos) works just fine.
For sword: go east, young man, go east to East Coast Seafood.

#37 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

Silver Oak Cab ?

#38 9lives

9lives

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

Silver Oak Cab ?

yes...SOC stands for Silver Oak Cellars...120+

#39 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 04:06 AM

Grilled Portuguese Octopus
Fingerling Potatoes, Fava Beans, Calamata Olives, Chorizo, Chimichurri

Here's to you, johnnyd, cheers ! Just for you, I went to American Seasons again tonight to have:

Crispy Pork Belly & Seared Octopus
House Made Kimchee, Black Vinegar Barbeque

Their Halibut special.

Their Lemon Cheesecake, shortbread, strawberry dessert thing that's not on the menu.

The food was decent. The meal at the bar was more interesting.

A smoking hot, 30-ish blond gal walks in and sits down next to me at the bar. She looks at Chambo and, being the friendly type, she says "Hi, what's your name?". Chambo gulps. Dazed and confused, he says "Your personal errand boy ? ... Actually, didn't I see you jogging today? ". "I was jogging, were you biking by ? " Oh my goodness, was this love at first sight! "I was. Either Surfside or Miacomet?" "Nope, Madaket." So much for love at first sight. "Strange. You must have a body double with those same gorgeous, athletic thighs who was jogging elsewhere on island within a half hour of the sunset." "Nice sunsets we have on island ?", she says with a delicious smile. "Nice smiles we have on island", Chambo says with a devious smile. And so on ...

She lives in Chicago but is a real Nantucketer - comes back every year for the summer. A yoga instructor. Works in a boutique wine shop. Says she's a foodie. Chambo knows how to rap and spits out "Tru, Blackbird, Alinea, Next ... Burgundy, Cote de Beaune, Cote de Nuits, Chambolle Musigny, Les Amoureuses ..." Now she's dazed and confused.

However, the bartempress wasn't allowing Chambo to focus on business. She was also smoking hot. Brunette, not blonde. Another Nantucketer. Both were born and raised. Both went to high school here. Bartempress also returns for the summers, but lives in Brooklyn. Worked at the original John Dory. Worked / works at the Breslin. Chambo shoots his New York rap. She's saying how she loves Del Posto's desserts. Chambo's saying that she and I should share Babbo's chocolate semifreddo. She says Otto. I say Coppetta. Things are gettin betta and betta.

We all are rapidly planning a Burgundian bacchanalia chez Chambo.

Bella Vita. Endless Summer. What more is there to say ...

(Yikes ! My French friends are arriving on Friday ! )

#40 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

2. Eos has made 2 stops before leaving for France...300+ and a crew of 26 and by many measures the largest private saiing vessel ...

2. As they say, "it ain't the size of the ship that matters, but the motion in on the ocean". I'll take the Maltese Falcon, any day. And it's a good thing that you qualified your "largest private vessel" with the word "sailing", otherwise the Sheik, Roman, Larry and Paul would be quickly calling you:

http://worldbesttopt...cht-owners.html

It's kind of funny that we were just discussing this cuz ...

Some friends just boated over yesterday from Edgartown (that's the Vineyard, ie Martha's Vineyard, for all you landlubbers out there). She and her husband came over on their relatively-recently-acquired, electronic-ed-up-the-ying-yang 38' Tiara (Satellite up/downlink, 3 TVs, Internet, radar, awesome mapping and on and on). Pretty sweet. They are Providence-based and spend a lot of time on the water in the summer, often in Newport. I've know her since forever - since college days - since she was a coed at some grassy, leafy, all-female college in the Boston suburbs where Presidential contenders have attended.

I head over to the boat for drinks and nibbles. We head out for a harbor cruise and it was blowing pretty good yesterday - every mooring is taken and it's kind of dangerous, actually - we had one slightly close call as the wind changed direction and a moored boat rapidly came our way as we were proceeding through a narrow passage. We continue on our merry way and pass by The Far Dock. It's nice to see those big boats from the water, too! She says to hubbie "Look there, that's Kisses, isn't it? I always see her in Nantucket." I respond "Yep and that's Big Zip two boats down." So, inevitably, ...

We get to discussing yachts. They are telling me that Newport just had the privilege of having the largest, private sailing boat in the world stationed there for about two weeks. And her husband saw the female owner on deck one morning in a shimmering, red negligee that he didn't stop talking about for 3 days. He smiles. She laughs. I ask: which boat?. Answer: "The Maltese Falcon".

I yawn. While covering my mouth, I proceed "Yeh, yeh, Tom Perkins of Kleiner Perkins built it. 88 meters. Sold in 2009. That Greek, hedge fund billionairess out of London picked it up for a bit north of $100m. Hate to take the wind out of your sails, but are you aware that EOS is now the largest private sailing yacht in the world at 93m. Mere details, though. Having the 2nd largest boat in your waters is respectable." I smile widely. She grimaces. He rushes like a madman for his iPad. I wink and whisper: "Gotcha". She laughs: "It's just like old times, Chambo. Good to see ya". We hug.

Of course, the devil is always in the details, but they haven't called me on it yet :cool: :

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Eos_(Yacht)#Largest_sailing_yacht_in_the_world.3F

#41 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hey there, johnnyd. If you went to Souza's Fish Market*, then maybe there was a chance you also bought some overpriced supplies

Well, in my day there wasn't any Whole Foods place or yoga, and Souza's was the cheapest fish shack on the island, and on MV, anyone could walk into the Edgartown Yacht Club and sit at the clam bar and buy a dozen littlenecks picked out of Katama Bay that morning for a quarter a piece. The last time I was there, I felt if I even looked at Katama Bay I'd have to pay a fine. And I rather enjoyed Nantucket more in November - I took a mountain bike into the moors which was a riot of Autumn colors, and there isn't a line for anything in town.

But such as it is, I do love those islands in Summer. I spent every summer on MV growing up.
"Chicken Zaatar in thirty minutes! Ready to eat by the end of evening prayer! Deeelish! Allah-akbar, everybody! Woohoo!!"

Portland Food Map.com

#42 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 04:51 AM

Ah yes, johnnyd, the good old days.

Although your days on MV probably predate mine, you're chatting with someone who spent many a summer on MV. Katama to be specific. With a group of Boston friends we used to rent a couple of charming 18th century farm houses on one of the most beautiful properties that existed in the world. We rented these properties for pennies. And you may think that I jest. These rustic farmhouses couldn't fit a queen size mattress up the main stairs to the 2nd floor without having to bend that mattress into an arc. It was a team project to get that job done. People were smaller in the 18th century.

We were on a magnificient 200+ acre property just to the west of the "right fork" in Katama (also known as Herring Creek Road) with access to our own private beach. Just opposite the Katama grass airfield. Edgartown Great Pond and Crackatuxet Cove were our personal playgrounds. There was a silo on that property to die for. Imagine motorcycling down private roads past massive fields of golden, summertime hay to your own, isolated beach. Friends would come visit us and they couldn't believe our fortune to be installed here for the summer. David Letterman rented what we all called "the big house". Used to cycle by Letterman and give him the thumbs up. By the way, hanging on a private beach with your friends and David Letterman ain't prison. To this day, our group still refers to ourselves as "the farm friends".

Alas, all great things must come to an end. The property was finally sold by the Wallace family not long after the arrival of the 21st century. At the time, it was the largest private real-estate transaction in Massachusetts history. It was a very complicated deal that was held up by a myriad lawsuits for years. Never have I more rooted for our legal system to grind to a halt than when that transaction was been pushed along. Each year, we'd find out at the very last moment whether our MV rental would be available for the upcoming summer. Finally, it all ended. And then I decamped for Nantucket - staying on MV would never be the same. [Chambo wipes a tear from his eye]

The property was called Herring Creek Farm. It has since been partially (mostly?) ruined and carved up into a kooky non-profit teaching farm and land preserved by the Nature Conservancy and some massive homes. Letterman bought his rental house and a bunch of land. A Goldman Sachs partner, the same. An early Oracle exec, the same.

For those interested, you can see the remnants and read all about it here:

http://www.herringcreekfarm.com/

http://www.mvgazette...rticle.php?2668

#43 johnnyd

johnnyd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

Holy Hannah - what a nightmare. And the farm sounds like it's in the hands of conservation do-gooders instead of real farmers. Oy! We were opposite side of the Bay on Chappy, atop a bluff for many years but when my older brothers went to college we rented places in Edgartown. Both older brothers raced in the Wednesday and Saturday Regattas (Intl.110's)and won a bunch of ribbons and a brass plaque on the wall of the EYC. I wasn't old enough so I set about learning how to shuck littlenecks flawlessly.

One night in my last summer there I wandered down to the Town Dock to see the Thursday concert and it was a "Rock" band with a woman on a very spare drum kit and some thin guy playing violin. The guitarist struck up some Band - Music From Big Pink tunes so I stuck around. Being a know-it-all at ten, I'm telling my brother how much that lady sucked playing drums and he starts laughing - "That's Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground, you bonehead!"

But this thread is about Nantucket. So Chris Matthews is kind of a little guy, huh?

Portland Food Map.com

#44 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:38 PM

Holy Hannah - what a nightmare. And the farm sounds like it's 1. in the hands of conservation do-gooders instead of real farmers. Oy! We were opposite side of the Bay 2. on Chappy, atop a bluff for many years but when my older brothers went to college we rented places in Edgartown. Both older brothers raced in the Wednesday and Saturday Regattas (Intl.110's)and won a bunch of ribbons and a brass plaque on the wall of the EYC. I wasn't old enough so I set about learning how to 3. shuck littlenecks flawlessly.

One night in my last summer there I wandered down to the Town Dock to see the Thursday concert and it was a "Rock" band with a woman on a very spare drum kit and some thin guy playing violin. The guitarist struck up some Band - Music From Big Pink tunes so I stuck around. Being a know-it-all at ten, I'm telling my brother how much that lady sucked playing drums and 4. he starts laughing - "That's Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground, you bonehead!"

1. This was an unbelievably convoluted transaction, ten plus years in the making, that was conceived by some very powerful people to score themselves some beautiful homes while meeting the needs of a whole slew of random "do-good" interests. Power prevailed in the end.

2. Is there any cooler ferry in the world than the Chappy ferry ? A one-minute ferry. The stories I could tell about me and my friends trying to make the last ferry home on various liquid-soaked nights.

3. A skill few possess. A skill much needed in the world. A skill that lasts a lifetime.

4. It's hard to talk about music on MV without talking about Carly and James. They were split by my time there but somehow we were in their peripheral orbit often enough. MV is pretty small and it's pretty cool to be at friends' island parties and barbecues and as the night progresses, one of them opts to entertain for a bit. Outside, under the star-clogged skies, watching shooting stars and listening to Fire and Rain.

That's the naked heart of Martha's Vineyard beating ...

#45 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Some friends just boated over yesterday from Edgartown (that's the Vineyard, ie Martha's Vineyard, for all you landlubbers out there). She and her husband came over on their relatively-recently-acquired, electronic-ed-up-the-ying-yang 38' Tiara (Satellite up/downlink, 3 TVs, Internet, radar, awesome mapping and on and on). Pretty sweet. They are Providence-based and spend a lot of time on the water in the summer, often in Newport. I've know her since forever - since college days - since she was a coed at some grassy, leafy, all-female college in the Boston suburbs where Presidential contenders have attended.

Let me give you lovers of boat stories a follow up ...

My French friends arrived last week. The Tiara twosome tells me that they would love to meet a couple of Frenchies so please do come over for drinks aboard once again. We do. We drink. We dine out. We depart early. They are heading back to Rhode Island at 7am sharp.

Next day, we have a quick and violent thunderstorm a bit after midday. My French friends are wondering if the Taira twosome made it back home fine and avoided the storm. Of course, they did, they left at early, I said. But I was curious myself and sent them a quick email inquiring.

Here was the response:

We ran directly into that thunderstorm several miles from Cuttyhunk, and
had to make a mad rush to tuck into Tarpaulin Cove. It was spectacular to
watch. We had [our 6 year old nephew] with us, and the poor little guy seemed petrified
-- until he asked if I could tell him a scary story in the middle of the
worst part of it.

The bad news is that we lost a prop on the way home yesterday, and had to
labor back on one engine -- boating in August may have been thwarted
unless we can manage to find a used spare someplace while a new one is
being made (has to be custom built in Korea). :-(

Great to see you -- LOVED your friends, particularly [la francaise] -- she's
fabulous.

Shit happens ...