4 replies to this topic

#1 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

I was hanging out down in Pioneer Square when I stumbled upon Il Terrazzo Carmine. I did a search here and the only post I can find about it is from Malarkey stating that it has a nice patio to bask in the sunshine.

Can anyone provide comments about the food/ambiance? It looks quite inviting with its white table cloths and interior design... I went online and the menu looks good albeit a bit pricey.

Is it worth a trip down there on our Vespas? :)

#2 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:07 AM

They're still in business?? I swear I heard they were closing at some point. I've been, but it was well over a decade ago. Old school, formal Italian.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#3 Eden

Eden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:14 AM

They're still in business?? I swear I heard they were closing at some point. I've been, but it was well over a decade ago. Old school, formal Italian.

Likewise my experience was over 10 years ago but someone I was talking to recently said they were still quite good...
A change of meat is often good, and those who are wearied of common food take new pleasure in a novel meal.
- Athenaeus

#4 christy

christy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

I went recently for the first time and was unimpressed. The menu is 1990s Italian-American--ie cappellini with sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese. My Linguine con Vongole was just odd--it had a beefy flavor. Service was not great--we were ignored for 10 minutes after being seated, brought the bill without asking about dessert, etc. Decor is dated too.

#5 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

Damn the opinions! My wife and I decided to go to Il Terrazzo Carmine for dinner last night. It was a very nice dinner. We arrived 15 minutes early and that was no problem with the staff. We were walked to a table in the corner of the restaurant that was perfect for two people. A nice place to have a private conversation.

They were quick to bring the bread and butter. The bread was an excellent country-style, crusty bread and we really enjoyed it. The waiter came up and offered each of us a glass of prosseco Rive della Chiesa (wine-searcher says it's available at $10.99 retail at Wine World). Good stuff.

We ordered the bufala mozzarella as a house special hors d'oeuvre and they were happy to divide it between two plates for us. Fresh bufala mozzarella, heirloom tomatoes, evo, and balsamic vinegar. Very nice. It went very well with the prosseco.

I perused the wine list and initially decided on a Robert Chevillon Nuits St-Georges Villages, but then I thought since I'm in an Italian restaurant I should order an Italian bottle. We ordered a 2009 Vietti Barbera d'Alba Scarrone (wine-searcher says it's available at $39.99 retail at wine world). I guess I'm going to Wine World because this also was a good bottle. I'd be curious to see what a bottle is like with a decade or so of age on it.

Since it was pretty cold out my wife decided to go with some comfort food and ordered the Rigatoni Bolognese. I went with Ravioli di Capriolo, which was filled with venison, spinach and mushroom veal sauce. Both dishes were tasty and went very well with the wine. For dessert we had cannoli filled with the usual ricotta and blotted with green pistachios.

We got out for just over $200, but I can see a couple easily paying $400. Our dishes were under $20 each and our wine was $75. Several menu items were in the high $30s and our bottle was in the lower 25 percent price range.

I agree it's an old school formula with dated decor, but sometimes I like that. We'd like to go back as we both liked the ambiance, the food was good, and for the service I'd give it a C, which is better than 90 percent of the restaurants in Seattle and that subject alone could have its own thread.