804 replies to this topic

#796 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 12:13 PM

There’s a profile of Iggy Pop in the new issue. Filled with trepidation. Me, not the article.

Wasn't bad.

#797 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,849 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

I agree.  It wasn't bad.  She interviewed the right people.  But didn't you feel that this was someone who hadn't spent a lot of time listening to the music?

She's talking about his new album, which has some inappropriate lyrics, and she says - hey, don't be surprised, and starts telling the old stories about his stage show. I think anyone immersed in the music would have said, hey don't be surprised, look at "I Wanna Be Your Dog"

#798 small h

small h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 07:08 PM

I used to be young enough to wear this shirt. Looking forward to being old enough to wear it again.

jbKuzDT.png

#799 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,849 posts

Posted 29 October 2019 - 11:40 PM

I enjoyed the Adam Driver profile, especially as I didn’t know much about him except that he keeps turning in great performances in movies I like. And I don’t even have a crush on him (see Oscar Isaac).

I can’t think of a better movie I’ve seen about poetry (poetry, not the life of a poet) than “Paterson,” and that was my introduction to his work.

#800 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,849 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 11:01 PM

Just picked up the new issue and there’s a piece on Moondog, hurray.

But it’s written by Amanda Petrusich, boo.

I also see a long piece on William Gibson which is going to congratulate him on his intense engagement with developing technologies - exactly what makes his fiction date so quickly (unlike Burroughs who keeps his distance from the real).

First I judge, then I read.

#801 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:35 PM

Well, the current issue has Schjeldahl's piece about a dying art critic. Sadly, it's autobiographical, and as is his writing about art, it's pretty brilliant.

#802 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,837 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:56 PM

i had dinner with schjeldahl and his wife (and a couple of colleagues) a few years ago when he visited to give the commencement address at my college. i set up a dinner at piccolo, which they loved. his commencement address was short, unsentimental and completely moving. one of the best i've heard.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#803 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,841 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:48 PM

That piece is great.  Unfortunately.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#804 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,849 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 12:07 AM

I have been backing away from it, but I will get to it. Which reminds me I should post about Clive James.

#805 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 01 January 2020 - 05:11 PM

I thought I used to like Helen Rosner's writing, but this piece about the best things she's eaten this (past) decade annoys me with its prose. Sounds like a romance novel or something.

The Best Things