3 replies to this topic

#1 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Almost two years to the day of the announcement (July 30, 2010), Target is opening one of its four "City" stores. The others are in LA, Chicago, and San Francisco.

Groceries are on the bottom floor, other stuff on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Peeking in through the windows I can see they have a pretty good selection of groceries and they're focusing on having smaller size/quantity products so I no longer have to buy the 192-pack toilet paper elsewhere. They have a Starbucks at the Union entrance, this makes 7 within a 1/4 mile, I think. They also have a Chase ATM at the Pike entrance. It'll be nice to have a grocery store so close. It should be interesting to see how well this goes, and I think it'll go very well.

My main concern is going to be the parking garage. At any given time we'll have 5 people doing 7-point turns trying to get into a parking space and 5 people trying to get out of their space. It'll take me 20 minutes just to get out of the garage, assuming I can successfully dodge the shopping carts.

As an aside the building across the street, where Osaka Teriyaki is, recently sold and will be converted to a boutique hotel. This is very good news seeing how 6 of the 7 floors are abandoned. The 'hood' is starting to shape up.

#2 tighe

tighe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

What does this mean for the Kress Grocery store on 3rd? This might kill them since they don't have parking.
It may have been Camelot for Jack and Jacqueline
But on the Che Guevara highway filling up with gasoline
Fidel Castro's brother spies a rich lady who's crying
Over luxury's dissapointment
So he walks over and he's trying
To sympathize with her, but thinks that he should warn her
That the Thirld World is just around the corner

#3 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

What does this mean for the Kress Grocery store on 3rd? This might kill them since they don't have parking.

I won't shed a tear if they die given the amount of 5AM deliveries I had to wake up to since they opened 3-4 years ago. Seriously, a beer delivery at 6AM on Saturdays, every Saturday?

#4 Really Nice!

Really Nice!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

They have a Starbucks at the Union entrance, this makes 7 within a 1/4 mile, I think.

Actually my count is now 11. There's one at 2nd and Seneca, one in the Chase FKA WAMU building, I guess it's called 1201 Third Avenue according to Wright Runstad & Company, and I forgot about the two in Benaroya Hall. I'm probably missing another 15 or so.

After spending a couple of hours in Target I think Kress will survive. If you're just looking for groceries and you're east of 3rd you really have no reason to go to Target. I think Kress has more SKUs and I'm not seeing any great pricing deals in Target to draw people away from Kress. The selection of meat, deli, and produce is more vast at Kress than it is at Target.

I'm not sure people actually drive to Kress. It was never intended to be a driving destination. If you work or live downtown it was the only grocery store around, not counting the corner store on every 4th block or so, or the higher-priced-than-whole-paycheck Ralph's on 4th and Lenora. If you have a car you could drive to QFC on lower QA, QFC on first hill, or Uwajimaya in the ID. Why pay the $6 an hour in the parking lot behind Kress?