63 replies to this topic

#1 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hello! Last month on our way to and from Punta Cana we did two overnights in Miami. We decided to stay on the Biscayne Bay side which was perfect (as we were already spending a week on a beach). one night at the Hotel InterContinental and one night at the Kimpton Epic.

We ate at the Yardbird which I loved. We don't get a lot of true southern food in Seattle so the delicious fried green tomatoes, cheddar waffle with chow chow and fried chicken were welcome treats. Oh and they have a lot of Bourbon.

We also ate at Ole! which a friend suggested. Although I found the location and dining room space a bit weird we had a very good dinner here. Traditional Miami food with a twist I'd call it?

BTW the Epic is really that on a weekend, I've never seen so many high end cars in my life! We didn't party with the pretties but the hotel and pool have amazing views during the day and the staff was top notch.
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#2 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

We ate at the Yardbird

I'll give you the real lowdown on the joint from last year ... Yardbird was / is Jeff McInnis's new place. Jeff's a very nice southern boy .. he even spent some time in Charleston and is actually sorta-pseudo-semi-buds with the Brockster (Sean and Jeff did some insanely priced thing for last year's SoBe Food & Wine fest ... I always wonder who are the idiots who pay those prices ... actually I don't wonder about that cuz those idiots are my friends ... oh by the way, Jeff can't cook like Sean) Yardbird was indeed a pseudo-stylin' place to be last winter (for about a month) when you weren't really tryin' to be stylin' cuz Yardbird has a casual, semi-rustic-but-"design"ed thang goin' on. It was a tough ressie for a couple of weeks in early oh 12 during prime time hours unless you knew someone. (Yeah, Chambo knew someone) I ate, or more accurately met folks for a drink, there at least 10 times last year cuz the location just seemed to work. But it's southern food ... lots of heavy stuff. Yeah, they added a salad section for the skinny models, but if she wanted to be looking real good in her bikini (and she did), she wasn't seeing much real good on the menu to suit her bathing suit (ie no salmon sushi selections).

But then Juvia opened !

See Ya(rdbird) Later, Alligator !

Juvia, up on that roof, with that view, now we're seriously stylin' ! Oooooooooooooh man ! Serious serious talent was to be found up there glowing in the starlight during the first few weeks. Chambo drank a lot of champagne up on that rooftop. Juvia's some import from a couple who owns resto Bonito in St Barts ... they don't know too much about food but they do know how to attract the pretties. Yardbird's bikini brigade decamped, walked the couple blocks towards Lincoln Road* and right when you thought that they were going to enter the Shake Shack, they instead slipped into a private elevator and were whisked up up up towards those French bubbles. How was the food at Juvia ? Who cares ! It's SoBe ! The champagne had bubbles ! What more do you need to know ? (How good do you think a Miami place that tells you excitedly upon sitting down that they are a French-Japanese-Peruvian fusion joint and is getting ready to give you an "intro" ? My response: "Thanks, stop right there ! I've heard too much already, now stop holding those menus hostage, hand them over without hurting them and please go forage us a few bottles of champagne, will ya ?")

Speaking of alligator, Yardbird had an ok chicken-alligator stew-ish dish on their menu for a while. They also had an inferior version of Chang's Shrimp & Grits (that, for SoBE, was a pretty respectable offering, if you can believe).

Chef Jeff shot to Miami fame with Gigi's but then broke with the owner there with whom I'm pseudo-friendly. (Trust me, me and the owner are not BFF but I make believe so I get into his joints ... if you know what I mean). Anyway, Gigi's was the first of many Miami's riffs on a Momofuku-like experience (ie small plates, weird combo of ingredients, low comfort, some stools, loud music, cool vibe, no ressies) but in standard Miami fashion they totally blew-off the part about excellent ingredients and serious skill in the kitchen and re-directed the focus to marketing buzz.

Works for a while ... like about a month ... and that's SoBe in a nutshell in case you didn't know.

* Actually, that's a lie. Bikini babes don't walk around in SoBe ... they exit colorful Italian sports cars.

the Epic is really that on a weekend, I've never seen so many high end cars in my life! We didn't party with the pretties

Next time, if you want to party with the pretties, just tell Chambo !

By the way, important multiple choice question ... what color is your favorite high end car ?

a) Red
b) Yellow
c) White
d) Red, White and Black
e) All of the Above

#3 Chambolle

Chambolle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

While exiting Ola (on James Street in SoBe) after wolfing down some Smoked Marlin Tacos and heading to Casa Tua for a night cap ... look what we have here !

Posted Image

While heading to my buddy's place on the Venetians for a swim and a boat ride ... look what we have here !

Posted Image

#4 little ms foodie

little ms foodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

LOL!! you are too much :rolleyes:
Wendy.....Seattle, WA

Luggage Tag

#5 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 11:14 PM

any updates? am headed down, later this week

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#6 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

Had a lovely meal at Yardbird on Sunday. They have a nice modern southern menu and some kick ass bourbon drinks. They have a separate gluten free menu, which makes a goodly portion of the regular menu available without gluten. Service was attentive but not intrusive and the food was great. I'd made fried chicken the day before, so we didn't get to try it this visit but we otherwise had a big sampling of the menu.   Their coffee was very good but we didn't try the desserts because 4D gelateria was just a few blocks away in Lincoln mall and stopping their was high on our list. 

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,391 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

Are you sure you can drink bourbon? I've done some research for my friend, and found that there's some stuff other than corn in the mash. I think. (Not trying to ruin your fun: if it doesn't feel bad, please disregard this.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

Are you sure you can drink bourbon? I've done some research for my friend, and found that there's some stuff other than corn in the mash. I think. (Not trying to ruin your fun: if it doesn't feel bad, please disregard this.)

it depends on the brand. some are fine and some have made me sick as a dog. all depends on what's added for flavoring or coloring after distilling. some are actually wheated. i've never had a problem drinking maker's mark but i won't usually try a bourbon i haven't tested before. it's a guaranteed way to ruin an evening

~Jack Handey

#9 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:35 AM

i think technically it's not bourbon if there's more than 75 or 80% corn in the mash and it needs to be more than 50% corn. the wheat, rye and barley contain the offending protein but it's left behind in the vat during the distillation process

~Jack Handey

#10 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:44 AM

I don't quite understand how you could get gluten in a distilled beverage unless it was added post distillation.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#11 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:46 AM

I don't quite understand how you could get gluten in a distilled beverage unless it was added post distillation.

i think that's the only way you could.

~Jack Handey

#12 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:20 PM

I'll be back in Miami next month...South Beach only...for a couple nights.  Unfortunately one of them is Amateur Night (the 14th) so desperately trying to avoid crappy heart-shaped tasting menus.  Have a placeholder reservation at Yardbird right now.  Other possibilities on the list: Khong River House, Tongue and Cheek, Lucali, Michael Schwartz at the Raleigh, Pubbelly, Casa Tua.  Sardinia is reliable but I've been there several times.  For cocktails: it looks like Khong River House, the Regent Cocktail Club at the Gale and The Broken Shaker are the best bets?  (only a couple years ago there was no such thing as a serious drink on South Beach...now that's supposedly changed)

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#13 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:36 PM

Yardbird -- see the separate thread.  in sum, book a flight for the next snow-storm and eat here.

Khong River House -- it's good (same owners as Yardbird)...very polished.  and the cocktail program is indeed a joy.  everything done right.  (except I wasn't really a fan of the different house tonics...but that's a quibble).

Pubbelly:  ugh, you want this place to be so good.  it just wasn't.  salt and pepper squid was very good.  udon carbonara (with pork belly and peas), reads well, looks good, the noodles were good...and it was horribly underseasoned (as agreed by everyone at the table)....we had to fix that.  cocktails read well and are horrible.  sickly sweet (such as the sake Negroni.  do they know what a Negroni is?  a Cosmo it is not).  various dumplings were gummy.

but my real problem with Pubbelly is that the entire menu and concept is copied from the Momofukus (right down to its trademark dish being the Momofuku pork bun), heirloom tomatoes with whipped tofu, ramen, kimchee in odd places etc. etc....playlist too.  which would be fine if a. they executed -- which they don't, b. ever acknowledged it instead of purporting originality.  oh, and the press coverage of the place misses it entirely.  it's easy to see David Chang as overextended/over-publicized but then you read a NY Times (a NY Times!!!) article on Pubbelly that misses such obvious plagiarism (the article even talks at length about the pork buns without a hint of recognition).

btw, there's a branch of 100 Montaditos on Lincoln Road.  damn those prices are low...food's not horrible either.

very good cocktails at the Regent Cocktail Club too.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,424 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

100 Montaditos should use that line:  "Not horrible, especially at this price!"

#15 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,286 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Khong River House is like the best de-racinated se Asian food imaginable. I mean that as a compliment. Cocktails we had were great - even the ones that read as too sweet were not.

Bazaar - I hate this place as a concept but the food is extremely well done. I mean it's only on recounting you realize there is no ingredient cost in anything that isn't explicitly a protein and the crowd in the room is terrible but pretty. The wine list is very lame for a place of this ambition and price point although we found a decent godello on the wine list.

Probably the best croquettes I've had in the states. Some really nice Asian inspired raw fish dishes and sort of wonton things. Only weak dish was a hangar steak.

Really excellent food its basically a perfectly executed MePa/Vegas big box place

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"