#1 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

A lot of shooting goes on around here.

First pheasant of the season last weekend. Grilled breast and confit of the legs.

Rather overcooked roast mallard on Saturday.

Our neighbour has promised us the next pike he catches.

(No, he doesn't shoot the pike.)
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#2 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

He could if he put it in a barrel, no?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#3 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:47 PM

Dynamiting the mill pond is more efficient.

#4 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

A rabbit without pellets. No, not farmed, ferreted.

#5 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

.......from a really good butcher.
Posted Image
It was not a new dish, as I recognised my tooth marks. Wilfrid

#6 Lippy

Lippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,464 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

.......from a really good butcher.
Posted Image

[sigh] I'm making do with D'Artagnan quail tonight.

#7 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

I still can't get over how lovely the butchers, bakers and other shops are. I go around Norfolk on my days off exploring (in my little Fiat 500) and it seems every little village has wonderful butchers. We have at least 3 butchers (one within walking distance) that have sausages and bacon that are out this world and a huge range of game and they can tell you which farmer they come from.

#8 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

Kind of OT: how do you like the Fiat 500? We've only ever owned Fiats (124 sedan and Spider convertible, in the mid-to-late 1970s), and if we need to get a car in the future (long story), I'd consider the 500. What's your experience with it?

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#9 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,617 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

I saw about 5 of them in a 1 hour period in Gowanus.

#10 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

I saw about 5 of them in a 1 hour period in Gowanus.

You could fit into one??

#11 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,404 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

I still can't get over how lovely the butchers, bakers and other shops are. I go around Norfolk on my days off exploring (in my little Fiat 500) and it seems every little village has wonderful butchers. We have at least 3 butchers (one within walking distance) that have sausages and bacon that are out this world and a huge range of game and they can tell you which farmer they come from.

And I bet they don't need to wear flannel shirts and bizarre facial hair to do so!

#12 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:59 PM

Kind of OT: how do you like the Fiat 500? We've only ever owned Fiats (124 sedan and Spider convertible, in the mid-to-late 1970s), and if we need to get a car in the future (long story), I'd consider the 500. What's your experience with it?

I simply love it. It's unbelievably cute for starters-- makes me chuckle just looking at it and I look forward to going anywhere in it. It's very comfortable, at least the two seats in front (two could get in back unlike the smart car, but it would be a squeeze); high seats in some ways, unlike my better half's Audi's low-lying things, but I prefer the Fiat seats for short journeys.

Wonderful for parking.

Nice cultural exchanges on the roads too: Other Fiat drivers will give you right of way. I have the silver one, but I do love the baby blue ones.

Posted Image

#13 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,830 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

I simply love it. It's unbelievably cute for starters-- makes me chuckle just looking at it and I look forward to going anywhere in it. It's very comfortable, at least the two seats in front (two could get in back unlike the smart car, but it would be a squeeze); high seats in some ways, unlike my better half's Audi's low-lying things, but I prefer the Fiat seats for short journeys.

Wonderful for parking.

Nice cultural exchanges on the roads too: Other Fiat drivers will give you right of way. I have the silver one, but I do love the baby blue ones.

Posted Image

omg, it's so cute that it needs a kiddie modeling contract

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#14 yvonne johnson

yvonne johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,078 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

I did hear that it's the only thing that Fiat makes money on these days.

ETA: Every car dealer that we asked about a "city-shopping-little--everyday car" said FIAT.

Dream to drive and so much fun. And right they were.

#15 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Partridge for dinner tonight -- roast with quince, and some mashed celeriac, and roast jerusalem artichoke.
Not sure about wine.