40 replies to this topic

#16 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

No cameras set up prior to hunting day? All the cool hunters do that, so they can check out the action before they get there.

#17 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:10 PM

I'd love to see a pic of your saddle of venison. I always think it's a good looking hunk of meat. One of my favorite cakes is rehrucken kuchen which is baked in a mold and decorated to resemble the saddle

This isn't really a "saddle" shot. But you get the idea.

Posted Image

This is looking down at the top/back of the ribs. The neck is at the top, and I'm separating the backstrap from the left side of the spine:

Posted Image

#18 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

... There's a big, fat doe right in front of me. I could have spit on it. It looks at me. I look at it. It knows that I don't have a doe permit. It saunters away looking for some food.

At the shot, the doe jumped up, turned around and dropped. It didn't even kick. We waited to see if a buck would come out after it, but it was getting dark. We walked down to the doe.

I just noticed, you mentioned that you didn't have a permit to shoot a doe. But you did, anyway?

Not judging, just clarifying. . .

#19 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:21 PM

I was in a different area. I didn't have a permit in Zone 4Z. I had one for my neighbor's land, Zone 3F.

#20 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,838 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

more likely, chuck did.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#21 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Ah, I see.

Regarding bears, do a lot of people in your area eat bear? Or do they hunt them for the pelts? One of my co-workers (an avid hunter and trapper) doesn't do bear because it's not very tasty, or so he says.

(I've eaten bear in Japan, but I was so drunk I don't remember much about it.)

#22 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

Between the furniture making and now this, I have increased my bet that says there is no way you are Jewish.

I've been thinking the same exact thing.
Future Legacy Participant.

#23 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

I haven't met anyone who has shot a bear. Up until last year, there were no bear permits issued near me. I suspect that bear hunters will be a mix of people eating them and those who only want the trophy. We have had more bear sightings in my county recently -- my neighbor with all the land sees a few each year. I've never seen one. I have no desire to shoot one.

#24 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,205 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

Bear tastes fine, but I'd rather pay for some non-Jewish person to hunt stuff for me (except fish, which doesn't count).
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#25 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:25 AM

Wow. Thanks for posting all this. Fascinating to read what it's really like, at least for one person.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#26 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing pictures of the butchering and stuff. Didn't someone on eG once do a pictorial on that stuff? More recently someone showed the butchering (?) of a Canada goose.

Or maybe you could post a link to a flickr album with all the pics? If you want, that is.

An aside, if you eat mostly game all year round, you'll have high hemoglobin levels.

#27 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

There's a fair amount of bear hunting in MN and WI. I would say that most of it is about trophy hunting rather than hunting for food or pelts. Certainly there are old-timers who still cook and eat bear and render the fat for candles or lamps. Mostly, when eaten, it is at some sort of game dinner and it's often poorly cooked.

I think that now, deer hunting is often about trophies rather than food.

We've got wolf hunting and trapping now. Pelts and trophies.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#28 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,842 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Which one is Stone?

Posted Image
Bar Loser

MF Old

#29 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,634 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:57 PM

Oy vey. I guess I gotta go buy some stupid hats. I apologize in advance for the skinny jeans. They wont be good for anyone.

#30 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

My first thought was that they were hunting hipsters.
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China