55 replies to this topic

#16 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

but what if all those blacks answered lincoln or the civil war? american blacks had to wait almost an extra hundred years for freedom on paper and yet the struggle continues...

I thought about that - "Who did America get its freedom from?"

"The North"
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#17 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

That 20% to 25% figure keeps popping up again and again. I've seen it show up for years. It's not a coincidence. I suspect that the same people hold crazy positions about a whole variety of issues.

I'll update this thread when I see the next poll result. You can bet there will be lots more.

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

(e.g. I'm sure you could find 20% of Americans who think Michael Jackson was killed by ferrets. That Obama is the lizard cousin of Kevin Bacon from V the Final Battle. That milk is worse than smoking for your children. Whatever.)

eta: I love the idea of it being the same 20% though. :lol:
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#18 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

#19 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

Another thing I noticed is there's a group that seems to believe *every* conspiracy theory. The Rothschilds are running the fed, 9/11 an inside job, inflation numbers are rigged, every war in the world is part of a conspiracy by the neocon cabal (well, maybe that's true Posted Image), radiation, fracking... it's all the same.
sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#20 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

Indeed, it is a group-paranoia.

#21 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

Another thing I noticed is there's a group that seems to believe *every* conspiracy theory. The Rothschilds are running the fed, 9/11 an inside job, inflation numbers are rigged, every war in the world is part of a conspiracy by the neocon cabal (well, maybe that's true Posted Image), radiation, fracking... it's all the same.

The National Enquirer, Nation of Islam, many gold bugs, survivalists, etc would collapse without this bedrock of belief. There's a parallel view that some organizations (Catholic Church, Israel, your favorite political party, etc) can't be wrong, and whatever thy do is somehow for the good. Not much different from the old time lefties who continually apologized for every Stalinist, etc atrocity, the deal with Hitler, etc.

I attribute that to a lack of healthy skepticism. Many people are just plain lazy.
Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#22 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:17 PM

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Nobody that I've met so far in Western Europe, but as you head East (at least in my experience) the conspiracy theories start getting more popular.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#23 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:21 PM

Nobody that I've met so far in Western Europe, but as you head East (at least in my experience) the conspiracy theories start getting more popular.

To be clear, Western Europeans also think up lots of stupid stuff, just not the same stupid stuff.
-Chomskybot

#24 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:55 PM

To be clear, Western Europeans also think up lots of stupid stuff

yes. house music, for example.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#25 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

To be clear, Western Europeans also think up lots of stupid stuff

yes. house music, for example.

House music was created in NYC!

#26 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,539 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

House music was created in Chicago!
Bar Loser

MF Old

#27 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,539 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:27 AM

(Mongo must mean like microhouse.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#28 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:36 AM

i meant the terrible music that's always playing in movies produced by luc besson.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#29 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

92% of Americans believe in god.

And 20% percent believe in the Corn God who makes the fields fertile and who must be appeased by human sacrifice every spring.

Think yourself lucky. In Norfolk it's 78%
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#30 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Apparently 50+ per cent of Americans believe in Santa Claus.
. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .