55 replies to this topic

#31 g.johnson

g.johnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,881 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Around here the locals think the world is much, much older than 7,000 years.

Posted Image
The Obnoxious Glyn Johnson

#32 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

With Super Bowl XLIX coming up, about 25% of Americans think God decides sporting events: new survey
One in four U.S. citizens believe God plays a role in determining which team wins sports contests.

And a majority said God also favors athletes who live successful, faithful lives.

Article

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#33 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

They got any opinion on where the better Chinese food is?

This space available… contact owner.

#34 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,798 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

these people think it's in nyc.

my annoying opinions: whisky, food and occasional cultural commentary

current restaurant review: house of curry (sri lankan in rosemount, mn)

current whisky review: glen ord 28

current recipe: white bean curry with green peppers

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#35 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

It's a real shame I don't live in Minnesota.  Then I could celebrate Sweetest Day with Mongo.

Sweetest Day is a holiday celebrated in the Midwestern United States, and parts of the Northeastern United States, on the third Saturday in October. Sweetest Day has also been referred to as a "concocted promotion" created by the candy industry solely to increase sales of sweets. It is also a day to bestow romantic deeds or expressions. Eleven states and parts of two states observe Sweetest Day: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#36 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,798 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:13 PM

as always with the failure of reading. it's celebrated in new york too.

facts are meaningless. you could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
~homer simpson

#37 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

TEBOW!

#38 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:24 AM

A failure of reading indeed -

"and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains."

#39 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:18 AM

I've never heard of Sweetest Day.  I think it's a conspiracy to sell more "pop" and "pizookies".

Man about town.

#40 mongo_jones

mongo_jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,798 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:18 AM

A failure of reading indeed -

"and areas of both New York and Pennsylvania west of the spine of the Appalachian Mountains."

so, now you deny your appalachian roots?

~homer simpson

#41 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

This has been my response over the past 5 years whenever anybody at works brings up some new poll that 20% of Americans believe....

Serious question --In Europe, when you get out of the cities, do you have rural areas filled with people who believe the Earth is 7,000 years old, Jesus is coming very soon, the government shouldn't be taxing wealthy people to pay for lazy people, etc.?

Anything?

#42 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

Anything?

That's an interesting question.

With the collapse of formal religion in much of Europe, I'd be surprised if people ascribe much of anything to God, whether good or bad.

(With an exception for fundamentalist Islamic and fundamentalist Jewish folks, all of Poland, and a few St Pius X  Catholics.)

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#43 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 12:18 PM

There is some percentage who seem to think Europe is under imminent threat of islamicization. Not 20% though.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#44 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,303 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

Europe has crazies. Just different. Inflationistas. McDonalds Bulldozers. Like actual real fascists. Legit separatist movements. Anti-GMO woo.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#45 balex

balex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:17 PM

Yes,  a lot of liberal new-age crazies rather than right-wing gun nut crazies.