55 replies to this topic

#46 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,306 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 01:45 PM

On multiple occasions after learning I went to a Jesuit university I've had Spanish businessmen tell me how much better life under Franco was.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#47 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:04 PM

Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey commissioned by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.

As laughable as this sounds it goes against my contention that about 20% of Americans are flat out nuts.  The percentage should have been higher.  Then I read further into the article.

One Department of Agriculture study, commissioned in the early ’90s, found that nearly 1 in 5 adults did not know that hamburgers are made from beef.

Ah.  My faith in American lunacy has been restored.

Washington Post

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#48 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:32 AM

The polls and studies are often (usually?) biased.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#49 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:51 AM

The polls are RIGGED!!!
"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#50 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:01 AM

Seven percent of all American adults believe that chocolate milk comes from brown cows, according to a nationally representative online survey commissioned by the Innovation Center of U.S. Dairy.

As laughable as this sounds it goes against my contention that about 20% of Americans are flat out nuts.  The percentage should have been higher.  Then I read further into the article.

One Department of Agriculture study, commissioned in the early ’90s, found that nearly 1 in 5 adults did not know that hamburgers are made from beef.

Ah.  My faith in American lunacy has been restored.

Washington Post

Personally, I find it charming that you think that most burgers are made from beef.  

I, myself, try not to think too much about the "chicken" I get from Chinese delivery joints.

This space available… contact owner.

#51 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:28 AM

Glad burgers are not on my diet!

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#52 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,112 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

The polls are RIGGED!!!

Hillary is stuffing the ballots from her spam server, slowing down the internet. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#53 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

The Washington Post article described some of the other curious survey results.  A significant number of people believe that onions and lettuce aren't vegetables for example.

Me? I'm glad wine is a fruit...

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#54 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:18 AM

http://www.npr.org/t...oryId=487654380

SMITH: As far as David remembers, by the way, 4 percent of Americans answered that they had been decapitated.

http://www.publicpol...l-results-.html

- 4% of voters say they believe “lizard people” control our societies by gaining political power

Really this measures the percentage of people who like trolling pollsters. I hope.

That or there are a lot of headless people walking around that are just invisible to me.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#55 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 01:21 AM

That "lizard people" question is even sillier in the actual poll: http://www.publicpol...ries_040213.pdf

Do you believe that shape-shifting reptilian people control our world by taking on human form and gaining political power to manipulate our societies, or not?

I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#56 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:53 AM

You need to watch out for the Deros. https://en.wikipedia...d_Sharpe_Shaver  BTW, is Elon Musk building some underground cities?

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought