Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

http://mayfieldbk.com/

688 Franklin Ave

What a pleasure this place is.  It is one of those restaurants that you feel should be on every corner in NY but, it is just not the case.  Perhaps they are so good at making it look effortless, you almost take them for granted.  

The menu is perfectly balanced, the type of place you can take your 80 year old grandparents, or a 5 year old child.   There is something for everyone and we are not talking about people just settling, the food is good.  

You can sit around around and order oysters, or ceviche, you can get homemade pastas, a steak, a whole trout, a plate of mussels, some fish and chips, steak tartare, a couple of sandwiches, or smoked eggplant with faro.  Not to mention, I think tonight, they were offering 7 different vegetarian dishes.  Every dish is something i could be in the mood for.  Nothing cutting edge or over thought out concepts, it's just classic dishes, prepared how they should be. 

i have heard different things about where the chef's come from.. Miss A told me tonight, two of the guys worked at Ouest, I read somewhere the owner worked at Stone Park.  

I started with the most adventurous sounding dish, grilled pork belly, with grilled octopus and white beans.  Bacon was very crispy, the octopus was also grilled well, a simple beans and greens in a sauce,  It was well, my least favorite dish and it was still very nice.  

Miss A started with a leek salad.  I did not really pay much attention to the salad as i was once again breaking my vegetarian diet.  

Miss K started with a cup of coffee and a steak tartare.  The steak tartare was very nicely prepared.. Served with a ton of toast points.  Tartare was very fresh ground beef, perhaps 4 or 5  ounces.  It was tossed with a little mustard, some cornichons and some tarragon.  Topped with a cracked quail egg.  Lovely dish.  Was not over produced or drowned in sauce.  They offered a sour cream horseradish sauce that did nothing for the tartare. Thoughtfully served on the side.  Dare i say the tartare was light and refreshing?  French press coffee for 3 bucks. 

For dinner I had the whole trout.  It was deboned with the head on.  In most cases, I have had the fish deboned and kept whole and pan seared.. In this case, it was roasted.  Skin was a little less crispy then I would have liked but, it was nicely roasted.. Served with a very delicious and expertly made bernaise sauce.  Loved the fresh tarragon.. 

Miss A got the whole belly clams.  These are the best whole belly clams I have had in recent memory.  I have to think back to Johnny Ad's in CT, or some clam shack up route one to even consider a challenger.  They were battered yet, the beautiful texture of the whole belly clam remained.  Crispy and fried but, then the belly bursts with all it's briny lusciousness. 

We also ordered the corn pudding or spoon bread.  It was a custard corn cake that both excelled in taste and texture.  

We had a couple of drinks from their smart beer list.. Miss A also had a cocktail,  i don't recall what it was.   But 12 dollars seems to be the new norm.  

All in all, this place is wonderful.. i want to go back and try most of the menu.  We sat right by the kitchen and got to watch all the dishes come out.  The burger looked great, as did the fried quail and I would highly recommend the trout for anyone that would be into that.  

I could see myself eating here 2 to 3 times a month.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 SethG

SethG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've been meaning to post about this place.  It has received nice write-ups in the New Yorker and the NYTimes.  Robin & I went a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it.  Daniel nails it.  Great neighborhood bistro, good prices, more sophisticated food than you expect at the price point.  

Why yes, I do have a rock climbing blog! Climb and Punishment

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Thanks Seth. I was really happy with this place. I hope to be a regular.

#4 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,515 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Kitchen is open till 11 PM Sunday through Thursday and midnight Friday and Saturday!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:32 PM

This is a very good thing. We like to eat dinner at 10 or 1030 on the weekends.

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,515 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:59 PM

Daniel so completely nailed this place that there's almost nothing else to say.

But, this being the internet, we go on.

It's great.  Neighborhood great, but still great.  Don't travel to go here.  But Daniel, Seth, Aaron, and I have a new hangout.

The menu is all "basics" -- but every dish is tweaked in a little way that makes it interesting.  It's the kind of menu you just want to eat your way through completely.  And I'm sure we locals all will.

(One thing notable about the menu is the total imbalance between appetizers and main dishes:  there are many many many more appetizers.  That's cuz they aren't really appetizers:  they're small plates, called not appetizers but rather "vegetables," "meat", and "fish".  The few (but choice) main dishes are then listed as "entrees".)

I started with the fried oysters.  Now fried oysters are worse than fried clam bellies by definition.  But these came with house-smoked salmon and a celeriac remoulade, and the combination was hard to resist.  A very nice dish.

But not as nice as the trout.  Beautifully cooked whole (boned) trout, skin nicely seasoned, topped with some squiggles of bernaise sauce, served over some roasted fingerling potatoes.  Lovely.

The guys from Louro should come here and take a look at what a contemporary low-key wine list looks like.  They wouldn't be satisfied with how cheap everything is.  But what they should look at is the selection, a nice version of What We Drink Now, not at all geeky or obscure but not a single uninteresting choice on the list.  Everything they have (maybe 16 or so selections) is available by the glass.  I had a nice Muscadet with the oysters and an also nice Riesling (German off-dry) with the trout.

The cooking here is spot-on.  The dishes just interesting enough.  Wonderful.  Just wonderful.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,515 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:39 PM

Eating through the menu, I haven't been disappointed yet.

(People who like tongue should try the tongue.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

People that like the tongue should get the tongue at Bar Corvo, then eat the rest of their meal at Mayfield. 

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,515 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:13 PM

A night out in Crown Heights!

Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

can't wait to start eating again.

#11 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,268 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Went here on friday night.. The place was packed.. Not a seat in the house.  We were lucky to grab three stools at the bar as three people were getting up at the exact moment I was doing a walk by.  

We waited at the bar for 2 drinks while a table was being readied. 

The food was off.  My first experience was during an empty restaurant and we were the only people the kitchen was cooking for.  Shockingly, in the middle of a slammed Friday night, quality dropped.  

The food was still very good, it was just missing in execution on a few items.  A soup came out under seasoned.  My pork chops was slightly over cooked.  Just slight mistakes in a panic.  

Oh well,  It's not really a Friday Saturday night spot for me anyway so, life will go on. I will happily go here early on weekdays as that is really what I need a place for anyway. 

#12 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,515 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks. Good to know. (Although as you say, it's not really a Friday/Saturday spot for people like us.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#13 Steve R.

Steve R.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,115 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Almost asked Ginny if she wanted to go last night (Sunday) but decided to go to the Waterfront Ale House instead.  Seems like my nachos w/chili and her cheeseburger (both with described tap beers from far away places... mine from Belgium, hers from Red Hook, Brooklyn) were the better choices.  Especially since we got to sit at the bar where Dmitri was working and controlling the playlist of great blues (Etta James, Dinah W., Nina Simone...) while a soundless "Once Upon a Time" was up on the tv.  Weird series... I might have to watch some back episodes.

This space available… contact owner.

#14 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 87,274 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Lest it be overlooked, I discuss Mayfield, along with Pot Likker and Sel de Mer, at the Pig this week.

#15 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,515 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:40 AM

Daniel/Aaaron/Seth alert:

The new lamb chili dish on the menu here is really good. The fried whatever that comes on the side is questionable. But the chili is extremely delicious.

COMP DISCLOSURE: If the bartender tells you he's treating you to one of your glasses of wine, but it shows up on your check anyway, that's not a comp, right?
Bar Loser

MF Old

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Brooklyn, Franklin Ave