92 replies to this topic

#16 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

I can't find a decent shot of the bar at the Holler House in Milwaukee.  Lots of photos of the downstairs bowling lanes.

I like Nye's here in Minneapolis.

Photo_Video_33314365397788290100265_medi

It's actually two bars.  The photo on the upper right is the bar in the dining room near the piano bar.  The lower left is the polka bar in an adjacent room.  It can be irritating at times when young drunks clog the place but there are lots of non-ironic families who eat, drink, and dance together.

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#17 GordonCooks

GordonCooks

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

I've spent a few late afternoons at Pete's on Irving Place. It's the typical neighborhood dive bar but I like it.

Jazz is musical improvisation; it is the art of the moment. In the recording of jazz, the inspiration and inventiveness of this moment is made permanent by technology, giving pleasure many years after the performance.

Photography is jazz for the eye. - William Claxton

#18 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Spent a few nights eating chicchetti and drinking wine at the reasonably well known Cantinone Gia Shiavi in Venice.  No  barstools.

Venice-Cantinone-gi--Schi-001.jpg

gia-schiavi.jpg

Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#19 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

WXOU on Hudson street.  Wonderful light on Saturday afternoons.

5873462164_b442d2af3d.jpg

5873462194_593ff48207.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#20 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Donohues in midtown Manhattan.  A little jewelbox from the early 1950s.

8316660648_11caf46e3f.jpg

8316653072_d6e47a83d9.jpg

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#21 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,819 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:10 PM

Spent a few nights eating chicchetti and drinking wine at the reasonably well known Cantinone Gia Shiavi in Venice.  No  barstools.

Venice-Cantinone-gi--Schi-001.jpg

gia-schiavi.jpg

It's been years, but great place.

Nye's in Minneapolis - that building is very cool.

#22 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

Bait and Tackle in Red Hook.  A treasure trove of of carefully collected kitsch. We went last July 4th.  The place was deserted except for the bartender.  He poured us a couple of cold ones and after about 15 minutes he said "Hey, I've got to run out for a little while.  Could you watch the place?"

"Sure.  No problem."  This marked a new high for me in casual bar management.

Of course we did watch the place and took time to take lots of pictures.  Behold the wonders of RHB&T.

#23 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,819 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:21 PM

This place was great, hidden in a little alleyway in North Beach...

8576975779_485c8aa9ca.jpg

#24 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:26 PM

I notice you favor pink lighting and pink marble. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I can blend into the background.

#25 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:28 PM

I've spent a few late afternoons at Pete's on Irving Place. It's the typical neighborhood dive bar but I like it.

Probably New York's oldest continuously operating fully licensed bar.  Usually a lot busier than this:

image.jpg

#26 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

A lovely space, but you eat at Pete's at your peril.

This is a great topic, and thinking about it I realized that all the bars I regard with special fondness: Red Cat, Highlands, Odeon, Rules, the place on Calle Gagos around the corner from my sister's place in Sevilla--are in/attached to restaurants. I'm such a girl.

When I was in my twenties there was a place on Second Avenue and 13th, called Nightingales, long defunct, and in a space that is now no doubt an NYU bro hangout. My husband and I loved it, it was a real neighborhood place bustling with locals: artists, writers, musicians, the famous movie actor who favored transsexuals........

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.

#27 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Nightingale's is not so long defunct, but it transformed itself into a boring lounge quite a few years ago (retaining the name).  That's the bar where I saw the Fleshtones concert which climaxed with the band leaving the bar, still playing, climbing into a cab outside, driving round the block, and re-entering the bar--still playing--to finish the song.

ETA: Still there.  I thought it had closed.

#28 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Back in the day:

nighte5.jpg

#29 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,555 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

The oldest bar on Staten Island, Liedy's Shore Inn.  Tranquil in the daytime: not a place to be stepping on anyone's feet after dark.

02.liedys-506x380.jpg

#30 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,678 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

Wow, I'm stunned it's still around. But as you said same name but not the same bar.

I'm also remembering we used to put in a fair amount of time in Puffy's when that neighborhood was the Wild West. But I haven't been in there in years. And talk about bare bones.

Sardines aren't for sissies.---Frank Bruni
------------------------------------------------------------
The mistake one makes is to react to what people post rather than to what they mean.---Dr. Johnson
-------------------------------------------------------------
I want to be the girl with the most cake.