92 replies to this topic

#91 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 12:38 AM

The oldest bar on Staten Island, Liedy's Shore Inn.  Tranquil in the daytime: not a place to be stepping on anyone's feet after dark.

02.liedys-506x380.jpg

What a great thread, I’d forgotten it existed.

Anyway, I decided to get off my ass today, and took the ferry and bus to the heart of Staten Island for an African Festival indicated by Eating in Translation. I think Dave maybe hadn’t been for a few years, but there wasn’t a lot to do there.

I decided on exercise. Walked up to Richmond Terrace under the “African sun,” as the festival MC had plausibly described it. Strolled a couple of miles and took some rest under the mighty pillars of Snug Harbor.

Then Liedy’s. Cool and frozen in time, game on the TV (it’s a Yankees bar). Four or five regulars at the bar. I smiled and gave them the big hello. I was bought a drink. We talked. I was lucky to get away. I was that fascinating thing, not a regular.

The place is a gem. And still has the Elvis shows.

I still had a long walk back to the ferry.

#92 Behemoth

Behemoth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 01:19 AM

I can confirm that dragonfly in Beirut still exists, and is still great. Torino Express next door is also really friendly.
Summarizing, then, we assume that relational information is not subject to a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test.
-Chomskybot

#93 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,523 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:06 AM

We are winning. 😊