• PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:42 AM

Lam Zhou

144 East Broadway

NY, NY

(212)566-6933

4576760803_4b69cf914d_z.jpg

It's a pretty sparse and tiny rectangular stall.  Really not much to look at, a few tables, mainly seats along a shelf that outlines the space and a marble table where a man makes hand pulled noodles to order.   It's great fun watching this man expertly slam the noodles down on the board and slowly stretch out noodles.  

9037856832_048de273fa_z.jpg

We ordered 12 fried dumplings for 3 bucks.  They arrived immediately and were perfect.  I think I have to say, these are my favorite dumplings in NYC.  So delicious.  

The offer a few condiments which one can add to either their noodle soup or the dumplings.  Chinese Vinegar, hot sauce, sriracha and some sort of pickled green. 

8356068980_8d8fa3b962_z.jpg

Miss A ordered the beef noodle soup while I ordered the lamb.  While the noodles were outrageous, we both felt the soup to be bland.  However, if you are a noodle person, you will be incredibly pleased with the quality of the noodles.  Just so lovely. There was bok choy that was nice.

9037859258_2901b06364_z.jpg

4317924428_7a72c3e768_z.jpg

There is a dish #11 that is dry noodle with pork, i feel like i would give that a shot next time.  

Dinner was 13 bucks.  I made it to a grocery down the street where I stocked up on my Chinese Snacks for the week.    I would say you have to try the dumplings and the noodle soups are worth further exploration.  The beef and the lamb I would pass on.  

Ason, I keep planets in orbit.

#2 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

I'm surprised you hadn't been here before, Daniel.  This and the one downstairs on Eldridge (the name I always forget) are pretty much the best of the hand-pulled noodle joints. And their dumplings are awesome, as you say.  The broth - just a vehicle to get the noodles to mouth.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

I am spicy guy when it comes to Chinese Food.  I normally get dumplings in the morning so, I hit the places that open before or around 8.  This place opens at 10 so, it's not normally on my schedule.   I just did a major search of Manhattan Chinatown, there are a few places I really want to go now.. I think we are going to start trying to have dinner in Chinatown once a week for the next few months.  

#4 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:36 PM

Noodle Village should be on your radar. I've noticed a bunch of new dumpling places, but haven't screwed up the courage to give them a try - yet.

#5 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

So far on my list:

Cha Chan Tang

A-wah

Sweet Spring now Mei Yu Spring

Shu Jiao Fu Zhou

Spicy Village

and 

Boil

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:30 AM

So my memory sucks as I haven’t been back to lam zhou since 2013 and completely forgot about it. Dumplings are still great, soup is still bland. The price of 50 dumplings is up 150 percent and it’s still really cheap. Last night we ordered the duck and squid soup along with fried and steamed dumplings as well as fish balls stuffed with pork.

I wish I bought a 50 bag. But, yeh, my opinion hasn’t changed and neither has their food. Yeah, dumplings

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:43 PM

Steamed duck and squid soup.. Again, the soup was kind of flavorless despite having duck and squid in it.. The squid was scary as hell.. I was at  first excited as it looked like duck blood cakes but, I quickly realized it was a brown floppy mass.. If that's squid, I have never seen a squid like that.. 

Squid at 5 o'clock 

49023883216_698e32dc8d_z.jpg

Photo credit: Jax Mekelburg

49023363683_84a9936f03_z.jpg

The dumplings are delicious:  They have dumpling sauce already inside of them.. if you puncture the thin skin, sauce leaks out.. It reminds me of when I stuff wings with blue cheese.  It's all self contained and delicious

49023882841_3dc102c52d_z.jpg

Fish balls stuffed with pork... Another Jax photo. 

49024091657_9cb01e9c46_z.jpg

So, this is a pork shop... Lanzhou, from Gansu province has a long history of muslim culture.. But there isn't cilantro, or any spices you would associate with Chinese Muslim Cooking..  It was surprising that they didn't offer lamb dumplings and everything was so pork heavy.. But yeh, i wish they had lamb dumplings and they would have better lamb soups.. I got the duck soup, maybe I should go pork.. there was a pork foot that I would try and still haven't gotten the minced pork dish.. But, reading from my last time, we got beef, lamb and now duck..  Still haven't tried the pork..  But really, get the dumplings and try other things I haven't yet. 

#8 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,730 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:42 PM

Is it possible that's dried, rehydrated squid (or cuttlefish)?

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,015 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 08:06 PM

Is it possible that's dried, rehydrated squid (or cuttlefish)?

That would make sense

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 144 E. Broadway, Manhattan, Chinese, Noodles, dumplings