776 replies to this topic

#706 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:50 AM

Sure. So what's happening is that the yupster wave is more or less gentrifying out everything of actual interest in all the major metropolitan areas.

It's sort of awful.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#707 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:52 AM

But it has nothing to do with the winning aesthetic having been that hipster aesthetic per se. It could have been some other one. It'd still have played out the same way.

#708 Adrian

Adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,958 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:22 AM

But it has nothing to do with the winning aesthetic having been that hipster aesthetic per se. It could have been some other one. It'd still have played out the same way.

Don't disagree.

I think you need to interpret what I'm saying in a reasonable way.

#709 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,595 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 02:58 AM

It's not like there were competing significant countercultural tendencies and "hipster" won (or lost, depending on how you look at it).  Hipster was what there was.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#710 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:33 AM

What part of it?

I mean, some form of this creative class yupster thing was probably inevitable given that we're all miserable little starfuckers.

The content of the aesthetic though? Various strands of Portlandia via Brooklyn, mid-century American and Nordic modernism, &c. &c. – those seem contingent to me. I'm not sure there's anything that was inevitable about cocktail bars looking like Milk and Honey rather than Pegu Club or Bar and Books (as an example of an aesthetic, not a cocktail joint) or whatever.

#711 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,399 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

What part of the story can't be explained by the huge success of Ikea in the decade prior to airbnb and it being the obvious option for building out new airbnb-purposed spaces? Where does the interweb play into that?

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#712 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:12 AM

The Eames chairs.

#713 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,595 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:31 AM

What part of it?

I mean, some form of this creative class yupster thing was probably inevitable given that we're all miserable little starfuckers.

The content of the aesthetic though? Various strands of Portlandia via Brooklyn, mid-century American and Nordic modernism, &c. &c. – those seem contingent to me. I'm not sure there's anything that was inevitable about cocktail bars looking like Milk and Honey rather than Pegu Club or Bar and Books (as an example of an aesthetic, not a cocktail joint) or whatever.

It's not so much that it isn't contingent or was inevitable, as that it's what happened.  Again, there wasn't really a competition.   This is what the culture happened to throw up (I don't necessarily mean that as a pejorative).

Bar Loser

MF Old

#714 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,595 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:35 AM

I guess what I'm saying is that the counterculturalists decided to adopt the hipster ethos, and then the mass culture decided to take it on itself.  So the question is, why did the counterculturalists adopt it in the first place (which was contingent and not inevitable).  Cuz once they did, the game was essentially over as far as the mass culture was concerned.

(I'm saying this as someone who lived through the '60s and '70s.)

Bar Loser

MF Old

#715 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,595 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

Man, I can't wait to spend some time in Grünerløkka.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#716 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,399 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:54 AM

The Eames chairs.

DWR also predates the interweb, and most of current era hipsterism.

Having built some spaces early on in this story - the options in the US tend to be drab dreck designed for cheap single family homes, or cut-rate modern (because of course there are commercial / production cost reasons why modern looks like modern). The options in Europe also include very expensive dark wood, which doesn't help if you want decent ROI. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#717 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:17 AM

I guess what I'm saying is that the counterculturalists decided to adopt the hipster ethos, and then the mass culture decided to take it on itself.  So the question is, why did the counterculturalists adopt it in the first place (which was contingent and not inevitable).  Cuz once they did, the game was essentially over as far as the mass culture was concerned.

(I'm saying this as someone who lived through the '60s and '70s.)

What "mass culture"? It's mass culture in the sense that Adrian uses, but by the time this stuff happened, mass culture proper was dead.

#718 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:18 AM

There is no good reason that Vitra charges twice as much for the same pieces as Herman Miller.

#719 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65,595 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:19 AM

It's a funny offshoot of the current Scandinavian obsession (which obvs I share) that it includes Danish Modern, the furniture of my youth.

I hope it's clear that I agree that there are material reasons why various pop culture occurrences occur.

Bar Loser

MF Old

#720 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,699 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

Was it really like all that? Like, these lustworthy beautiful midcentury modern pieces were just... normal furniture?