52 replies to this topic

#16 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:12 AM

There are people who love the Revox reel-to-reel.  And rave about the quality of the sound

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#17 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:46 AM

And they're right.

Better even than vinyl.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#18 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

gosh, you folks are out of date on this thread.  circa 2012 recommendations.

1.  no such thing as lower resolutions anymore.  even though you can't tell the difference between 720p/1080i/1080p below about 50", no one makes tvs below 1080p anymore.  if you find one it's an old old model they're getting rid of.  (and yes it's too early to bother with 4K.) 

2. plasma v. LCD.  Plasma has deeper blacks, LCD refreshes the screen faster (better for sports).  realistically plasma is disappearing.  LED....a type of LCD.  what you need to know is there are two types of LED TVs...ones with local dimming and ones with edge dimming.  most sold as "LED" are edge-dimmed...they really are no different (in terms of screen quality) from regular LCDs (which are also disappearing).  local dimming is better and more expensive.

3.  screen size.  bigger is generally better.  to appreciate HD quality you have to sit closer to the screen than you did with SD.  the exact size you should get is based upon exactly how far away you are sitting (there is an optimum screen size for each distance).  here is a calculator.  http://lcdtvbuyinggu...calculator.html

4.  brands.  all the big ones (Sharp, Samsung, Vizio) make ones that are really good and ones that suck.  it's model dependent.  instead of asking MF use CNET.  just use CNET:  http://reviews.cnet....v-buying-guide/

5.  yes, get one with as many HDMI inputs as possible.  decide how many you think you need and then add 3.

6.  do not, for the love of all that is good and right, do not purchase HDMI cables from Best Buy.  in fact, do not purchase anything with the word "Monster" in the name.  when you do this puppies cry.

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#19 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Was gonna mention that about cables.  I think I paid $2 or $3 for my HDMIs.

#20 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,114 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

You really need a Sony kd-84x9000

Or at least a Panasonic TH-L65WT600

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#21 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:34 PM

2. plasma v. LCD.  Plasma has deeper blacks, LCD refreshes the screen faster (better for sports).  realistically plasma is disappearing.  LED....a type of LCD.  what you need to know is there are two types of LED TVs...ones with local dimming and ones with edge dimming.  most sold as "LED" are edge-dimmed...they really are no different (in terms of screen quality) from regular LCDs (which are also disappearing).  local dimming is better and more expensive.

I believe you are incorrect on the latter assertion regarding refresh rates.

Actually, isn't it the case that there still has yet to be a better all-around TV made than the Pioneer Kuros?
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#22 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

For what it's worth, when I change the resolution and/or refresh rate on my tv, the difference in picture quality is very noticeable.  Unless I'm doing it wrong.  

Of course, the warning on HDMI cables is important. Don't spend more than $10 -- and even $10 is expensive.  You can get inexpensive hdmi cables from new egg and other on-line sources.  (although it is a little inconvenient because you don't have them to set up your tv immediately.)

#23 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

I believe you are incorrect on the latter assertion regarding refresh rates.

Actually, isn't it the case that there still has yet to be a better all-around TV made than the Pioneer Kuros?

ugh, you're right on refresh rates.  regardless, plasma is disappearing.

and you are correct on the Kuros...but it hasn't been made in years.

#24 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

For what it's worth, when I change the resolution and/or refresh rate on my tv, the difference in picture quality is very noticeable.  Unless I'm doing it wrong.  

Of course, the warning on HDMI cables is important. Don't spend more than $10 -- and even $10 is expensive.  You can get inexpensive hdmi cables from new egg and other on-line sources.  (although it is a little inconvenient because you don't have them to set up your tv immediately.)

what's the size of your tv and what are you changing your resolution to?  it also matters what the resolution is of your source material.  for example, some hd cable channels are actually broadcast in 720p (this was true of ESPN and may still be true, I'm not sure) and then upscaled by your cable box or your TV.

#25 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,114 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

Samsung F8500 - Plasma 2013

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#26 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

what's the size of your tv and what are you changing your resolution to?  it also matters what the resolution is of your source material.  for example, some hd cable channels are actually broadcast in 720p (this was true of ESPN and may still be true, I'm not sure) and then upscaled by your cable box or your TV.

55"  Samsung.  My Tivo box claims to be 1080, but I don't know what the stations are broadcast at.  I think my Apple tv is still 720.  I guess netflix is now streaming at 1080, but I don't know what I'm getting.

#27 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:39 PM

Samsung F8500 - Plasma 2013

It's hardly a fair comparison, is it, given how old even the newest Kuros are? Not that you can buy them any more anyway.
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#28 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 03:40 PM

55" will show a difference if you're sitting close enough.  the reality is that for the best possible picture quality you need to be using a Blu-Ray as your source material.  (all cable/satellite and internet streaming involves compression)

#29 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:08 PM

Re:  BluRay -- I think you're right.  But dealing with discs is too much of a hassle. It's unfortunate that Blockbuster went under before the streaming technology caught up.  But I still look at my tv, streaming content through a 720 Apple TV, and think the picture is awesome.  

I guess, also, as with audio (and food) most people don't notice the difference between, say, streaming 720 through Apple TV and watching full Blu Ray through a decent player -- unless they're viewing side-by-side.  I think that's why Apple wont start hi-res music downloads anytime soon.  

#30 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:33 PM

oh it's totally true that the differences are generally not discernible except when viewed side by side....and streaming is the future (for everything media-related)...so we just better hope that the compression keeps getting better