52 replies to this topic

#31 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

I bought an under$100 Samsung blu-ray player.  The thing is awesome...it loads discs super fast.

#32 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

Do you get discs from Netflix?  Are there any brick & mortar disc rentals anymore?

#33 joethefoodie

joethefoodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,826 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Netflix.  We are on the 1 disc + streaming plan

#34 Nathan

Nathan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,023 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Do you get discs from Netflix?  Are there any brick & mortar disc rentals anymore?

Redbox.  That's where everyone gets Blu-Rays from (plus those with legacy Netflix physical media use).

Blatantly Obvious Disclaimer:

My opinions are obviously my personal opinions. Not yours. Not universal.

#35 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 05:35 PM

Now you're all starting to speak in a foreign language I don't understand. And I'm not sure I want to, but thanks anyway for the information.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#36 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Buying a television is more complicated than ordering dinner in a Japanese restaurant.  

#37 AaronS

AaronS

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

I get discs from netflix because they look much, much better than the streamed content we get through the blu-ray player.  

there's a video rental place in greenpoint.  I see mondo kims no longer rents movies.

#38 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Netflix is apparently rolling out a low cost, single TV at a time access deal. No HD.  It's expected the share with friends and family deal will go up significantly in price once the new deal is out.

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#39 Orik

Orik

Advanced Member

• Technocrat
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,119 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Samsung F8500 - Plasma 2013

It's hardly a fair comparison, is it, given how old even the newest Kuros are? Not that you can buy them any more anyway.

Right, I was just pointing out an example of a living, breathing plasma model that's better. 

p.s. One issue that I'm sure will come to the US in a few years is that eco standards are actually making contrast on the lower end models worse. 

sandwiches that are large and filling and do not contain tuna or prawns

#40 taion

taion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'm saying something a bit different - how do you compare the F8500 at release to a Kuro at release? And to the extent that you're just comparing something side-by-side, aren't you just comparing a new (or appropriately burnt-in, whatever) TV to one that has gone through some degradation by now?
I didn't tip at Per Se either.

#41 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

Not that this will help Suzanne, but I saw a 4K tv in Best Buy today and it was amazing. Staring at it from like 4" away I could barely see the pixels. Unfortunately there's no 4K content yet.

I don't know how far you all sit from your tvs, but as somebody said above you need to sit closer to appreciate HD. I would say no more than 8 feet, even for a 50-something inch. My parents have a 55" and they sit like 15 feet away and it just doesn't work. Buy one of the major brands and you'll be fine.

And definitely get a blu-ray player.

Man about town.

#42 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:03 AM

We're probably going tomorrow to buy one. We figure we'll get 40", 47", or 50". The wide range is because these are the Samsungs that have ethernet ports.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#43 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

We have achieved TVness. A 40-inch Samsung smart TV, that is sort of hooked up. The first thing I turned it to was Bill Moyers talking with Neil DeGrasse Tyson; when I went into the kitchen to work on dinner, Paul turned to the Chargers-Broncos game. There you go!

#44 hollywood

hollywood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28,117 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 06:17 AM

We have achieved TVness. A 40-inch Samsung smart TV, that is sort of hooked up. The first thing I turned it to was Bill Moyers talking with Neil DeGrasse Tyson; when I went into the kitchen to work on dinner, Paul turned to the Chargers-Broncos game. There you go!

You didn't miss much.

Then that happened.

I traveled to Tijuana to smack the federali

Who packing avocado toast like Mario Batali--Black Thought

#45 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Well, it turns out that not all the pieces we bought work together. ("The store has the obligation to sell us the right stuff." Oh, really?) He's trying to figure out what to do. Please don't suggest that he just take the stuff back that won't work with the TV; that's the logical, non-engineer way to deal with it. I'm keeping out of the living room until it's all working.

And of course our tuner/receiver is so old, it won't take the proper cable so that we can get sound through our own speakers.