52 replies to this topic

#46 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

re: proper cables--sometimes you can get an adapter to make those things fit together. Not sure if it will work in your case, but it might be worth a look/ask. 

#47 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

Thanks, but it's worse than just cables not having correct receptacles. In the 1980s, we didn't buy a receiver that took optical input. (Was it available then?) I can see a new receiver in the future anyway, so . . . what the hell, it's only money. :wacko:

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#48 prasantrin

prasantrin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,390 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Just don't let Paul tell you he got it as a birthday present for you! (Happy birthday!!)

#49 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thanks, but it's worse than just cables not having correct receptacles. In the 1980s, we didn't buy a receiver that took optical input. (Was it available then?) I can see a new receiver in the future anyway, so . . . what the hell, it's only money. :wacko:

If the sound is coming out of the cable box, I'm pretty sure you will have a number of options other than optical.  But   

#50 plattetude

plattetude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Doesn't your cable box have RCA out? What are you connecting to what? That said, you could get a cheapo (under $50) DAC (digital-to-analog converter) that will take optical out and convert to RCA out as a stopgap.

#51 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

We decided to treat ourselves over the holidays and have bought a big screen TV.  Really big.  It’s a 65 inch LG OLED model.  Yes, it was pricey but only a little more than Stone’s meal at the Grill.  (Yes, I’m exaggerating a bit.)

A bit of back story.  I bought my last TV at the beginning of 2003.  Flat screens were just beginning to come on the market then but the prices were ridiculously high.  A 40 inch model from Samsung was $7,000.

I wasn’t about to pay that, especially since I knew that prices were going to fall.  But I needed a TV right away - my old one had died.  So I bought a Panasonic CRT 36 inch model that could sort of display HD by shrinking the picture by about 30%.  OTOH it cost “only” $700.  The picture was very good but the thing weighed more than me.  It was enormous.

Over the years I watched TV prices drop and screen sizes increase.  The problem was that my old apartment was kind of small so I kept putting off the purchase of a replacement.  Then we moved to a new apartment in 2016 that's much bigger.  The dining room adjoins the living room and total length of the combined wall is 27 feet.  More than enough room.

Hello new TV.

I did a fair amount of research before selecting the one we bought.  (The LG B7A.)  Displays are moving to OLED and new content is beginning to be available in ultra high resolution that the B7A can display.  (Netflix and Amazon do this now.  Premium channels like HBO are expected to start doing it next year.)  The price of this TV had fallen by about $500 since it was introduced at the start of 2017.  Sure, next year better TVs will be available for even less money but I had been waiting since 2003.  Time to pull the trigger.

Even standard HD content is terrific on the new TV.  Sports are a revelation.  So are movies which are meant to be shown in larger formats.  The effect really has to be seen first hand.  We checked out this model at some of the big box stores like Costco and Best Buy and were sold.

Yes, the screen is big but it’s also ridiculously thin - thinner than a smart phone.  The bottom of the TV is thicker because it has to accommodate the electronics that run the TV but it’s still pretty narrow.  It measures 7.5 inches from the wall to the front of the screen.  I chose to put it on a TV table rather than wall mounting it.    That way we can shift it around easily if we want.  The TV itself, for all its size, only weighs about 57 pounds.  Easily moveable by 2 people who aren’t particularly strong.

Yes, the screen is big but the thinness of the TV really offsets that.

It will take me months to figure out all the tricks this TV can do.  It connects to the Internet wirelessly and connecting to Netflix and other streaming services is easy.  There are tons of different picture modes.  I’ve picked one that I found pleasing and I’m sticking with it for awhile.

Is the TV too big?  For some people, yes.  If you only watch the occasional sitcom or Masterpiece Theater or art film or have a really small living room then this TV isn’t for you.  If you have more space and enjoy large format movies or sports then this is just terrific.  (I’m really looking forward to watching the Australian Open next month.)

We paid $2,600 in mid November and the price dropped to $2,500 by late December.  (It will likely fall another $200 or $300 over the next 3 months.  LG releases their new TVs in March)  Yes, that’s a lot but not out of line.  It’s comparable to the cost of a short vacation or 3 meals at the Grill.  On the other hand we should have this TV for 10 years or more. 

One last point – the 55 inch version of this TV is $1,500.  If you’ve got a smaller room or a smaller budget that might be a good choice.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#52 Stone

Stone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:37 PM

You'll quickly get used to the size of the tv and be glad that you got a big one.  

#53 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:02 AM

You'll quickly get used to the size of the tv and be glad that you got a big one.  

I had read that a few times.  Absolutely true.

There are some formulas out there that you can use to calculate the size of the screen that works best.  You measure from the spot where the screen will be to where you'll be viewing.  I used the one from Consumer Reports which said to get a 60 inch screen.  I rounded up and have been really happy with the results.

Back in the late 1980s I worked for Columbia Pictures at their 57th St. offices.  Aside from seeing the occasional star and being able to visit their Hall of Oscars that they amassed over the years they had a nice perk.  Every Wednesday night was Movie Night.  You got to see advance screenings of movies released by all the major studios.  The movies were free and shown in the screening room in the building.

On my first visit before the movie started I was a little unimpressed.  The room was small - it held about 250 to 300 seats with a smallish screen at the front.  Then the movie started and I found I was all wrong.  The screen was perfectly proportioned for the room and it felt like you were watching the movie in a full sized theater.  Over the years I must have watched 30 films there and the viewing experience was first rate.  I never forgot it.

I was hoping for the same effect with a large screen TV and I got it.  I watched Lawrence of Arabia a few weeks ago and got the full theater effect.  Of course most movies don't need that type of presentation but there are some that do.  I'm really happy with what I bought.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China