23 replies to this topic

#1 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

gotta get a new color printer/scanner/fax/copier thingy.

my old HP8500 technically still works, but the copy feeder doesn't.  it drinks ink like a wino goes through ripple. HP doesn't fix anything and doesn't even make replacement parts available. i have a hard time continuing to buy from them, now that they consider all of their product lines to be disposable. items their warranty offer to me was a replacement printer for $50 more than i paid in the first place, but shipping would be free. thanks HP. also their customer service is a cranky guy in india reading from a script in an endless loop, regardless of what you ask him.

so, canon, xerox, some other brand? inkjet? laserjet? micromanage my office equipment

and yes, i really do still need fax functionality

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#2 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,453 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

Do you really need a color printer? We made the leap to a laser printer over the summer because we were going bankrupt buying cartridges, but since we never need color, we just went with a black ink one. All of our printers have been HP, but getting this one set up - particularly the scanner part - was a pain. And yes, we required fax as well. I would tell you which one we went with, but it's probably no longer available.
Future Legacy Participant.

#3 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Do you really need a color printer? We made the leap to a laser printer over the summer because we were going bankrupt buying cartridges, but since we never need color, we just went with a black ink one. All of our printers have been HP, but getting this one set up - particularly the scanner part - was a pain. And yes, we required fax as well. I would tell you which one we went with, but it's probably no longer available.

i think i need color since i don't have access to a workplace fancy color printer. it's useful for some blog stuff. what i hate is that HP uses color ink even for black and white printing to keep you buying cartridges.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

#4 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

We've pretty much stayed with HP printers, haven't had any problems with them. Just got rid of a laser printer that we liked fine, but yes, the cartridges were something like $125 each and didn't last all that long. We currently have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 that we're pleased with. It duplexes and prints pretty fast on many different papers. The color cartridges are about $27 each, about $37 for a double-size black cartridge. This one has been fine for a few years now.

BTW: I am not a fan of multipurpose printer-scanner-fax machines. I'd rather have one for each function that does its job well than one that does all half-assed. So we also have a Canon scanner. We got rid of the Brother fax because the only use it had for the last few years was receiving junk faxes. And giving telemarketers a blast in the ear when they unwittingly called it.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#5 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

I have this HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer that I got last year that I will definitively state works far better than any printer I've had. OTOH, I'm sure it's already been superseded.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#6 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:33 AM

(I don't have a huge use for it, but I think color is worth having.)
Bar Loser

MF Old

#7 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

I have this HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus printer that I got last year that I will definitively state works far better than any printer I've had. OTOH, I'm sure it's already been superseded.

if i didn't hate the corporate philosophy of hp so much that's exactly the model i'd be getting

~Jack Handey

#8 LiquidNY

LiquidNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,153 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

I remember when we got our first color inkjet printer in the mid 90's. I printed a couple pages in color because it was cool and a novelty. Since then (like 20 years) I have never printed anything in color, nor have I ever had the desire to. Inkjet looks like shit, although it has gotten better. Yes, laser toner is pricey but it lasts forever. I would never buy anything besides a b&w laser, unless you really need color to print things for your job or something.

Man about town.

#9 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

Oh come on. It's so great when I print out print-at-home tickets and they're amber instead of gray.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#10 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

the fight with hp chapter 2. as of yesterday, they have agreed to extend my warranty for 2 years and next month under the warranty they should replace my 8500 premium with an 8600 premium at no charge. we'll see...

~Jack Handey

#11 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:52 PM

That will be great if it happens.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#12 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

That will be great if it happens.

it looks like they fixed a lot of the 8500's design problems in the 8600, especially the rollers in the autofeed. i spent yesterday afternoon tearing apart printers at staples ans best buy.

~Jack Handey

#13 Sneakeater

Sneakeater

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,544 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

BTW: I am not a fan of multipurpose printer-scanner-fax machines. I'd rather have one for each function that does its job well than one that does all half-assed. So we also have a Canon scanner. We got rid of the Brother fax because the only use it had for the last few years was receiving junk faxes. And giving telemarketers a blast in the ear when they unwittingly called it.

Not to be argumentative, but this is a strange position to be taken by someone whose audio system includes a receiver.
Bar Loser

MF Old

#14 Peter Creasey

Peter Creasey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 11:37 PM

We've pretty much stayed with HP printers, haven't had any problems with them. Just got rid of a laser printer that we liked fine, but yes, the cartridges were something like $125 each and didn't last all that long.

I am not a fan of multipurpose printer-scanner-fax machines. I'd rather have one for each function that does its job well

Suzanne,   I have a very basic Brothers laser jet printer that works great and has long lasting cartridge and drum.

And, yes, it is better to have individual devices for each function.

. . . . and victuals and the companionship accruing thereto" . . . .

#15 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:19 AM

the fight with hp chapter 2. as of yesterday, they have agreed to extend my warranty for 2 years and next month under the warranty they should replace my 8500 premium with an 8600 premium at no charge. we'll see...

they also sent me a $90 set of inkjet cartridges for the inconvenience.

~Jack Handey