23 replies to this topic

#16 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

the fight with hp chapter 2. as of yesterday, they have agreed to extend my warranty for 2 years and next month under the warranty they should replace my 8500 premium with an 8600 premium at no charge. we'll see...

they also sent me a $90 set of inkjet cartridges for the inconvenience.

after some repeat and new issues over the weekend, with the printer, hp just called to say that they will replace my 8500 premium with an 8600 premium and they will also send replacement cartridges for the 4 new ink cartridges i had to open during the troubleshooting session last night. i sure hope the 8600 is better built than the 8500

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#17 splinky

splinky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

can anyone use a set of 4 opened but new inkjet cartridges for the hp 8500 premium? they are the 940 series size

i had to open them to troubleshoot a printhead problem on the machine that hp is now replacing. 3 color and 1 black xl.

“One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my little nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. 'Oh, no!', I said, 'Disneyland burned down.' He cried and cried, but I think that deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real Disneyland, but it was getting pretty late.”
~Jack Handey

*proud descendant of cheese eating surrender monkeys*

#18 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 10:07 PM

Our old injet went to the great Kinkos in the sky.  Am only hours into our new Brother HL-3180CDW laser color printer.   Granted we are troglodytes, but this unit is a joy.     WiFi connected so you can print from your phone or laptop.   Two sided printing.   Easy navigation.   And much more I haven't figured out.

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#19 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

Interesting--ours, too. The HP 8100 I mentioned upthread in 2014 has developed an identity crisis, which is to say it seems to have lost its printhead, according to the diagnostics from HP. So we ordered the next version, HP 8210, to be delivered on Tuesday. It duplexes, it will work on our intranet, the ink cartridges are not as terribly $$$ as a laser jet. It should do what we need. Just not until after Tuesday.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

notorious stickler -- NY Times
deeply annoying and nitpicking -- Molly O'Neill, One Big Table

#20 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

Our old injet went to the great Kinkos in the sky.  Am only hours into our new Brother HL-3180CDW laser color printer.   Granted we are troglodytes, but this unit is a joy.     WiFi connected so you can print from your phone or laptop.   Two sided printing.   Easy navigation.   And much more I haven't figured out.

All good to know. We need a new printer. 

Future Legacy Participant.

#21 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:22 PM

One thing to look at: Printers are now relatively inexpensive, but assuming you're not looked at aftermarket or gray market, they get you on the cost of the cartridges.

I don't actually know what a handbasket is -- but whatever they are, singer-songwriters are in the first ones going to hell. -- Sneakeater, 29 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

#22 voyager

voyager

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,536 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:17 PM

Indeed.  They're like razors.    Great little device, often free, that requires super expensive blade systems.  Or like Kodak.    

It depends on your use.   IOHE, injets can get plugged when you don't use them often and consistently.   

Our son, our guru, and who's a tech pro, thought this was a good machine for US.    YMMV...

It's not my circus,

not my monkeys.

#23 bloviatrix

bloviatrix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:23 AM

We don't bother getting color printers. For our needs, a laser jet suffices. They're a bit pricier, but you don't have as frequent ink issues. The real problem is all equipment is like catnip to the kid. He stuck a pencil in the old one which killed it.

Future Legacy Participant.

#24 Suzanne F

Suzanne F

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,905 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:46 AM

We don't bother getting color printers. For our needs, a laser jet suffices. They're a bit pricier, but you don't have as frequent ink issues. The real problem is all equipment is like catnip to the kid. He stuck a pencil in the old one which killed it.

Remember the old American Express commercial, where the guy says to his toddler "They eat these things" while sticking a tape cassette (iirc) into the player . . . so then the kids spoons in some oatmeal? Maybe The Cub saw it in a previous life?