#46 Rail Paul

Rail Paul

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,679 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

what do the advertisers think?

Dreams come in all sizes, shapes, and colors.

#47 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

right - but look at one of the SB Nation Blogs. 

http://www.everydays...besaturday.com/

its not that different.  I think a big part of it is the backend as well.

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#48 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:16 PM

right - but look at one of the SB Nation Blogs. 

http://www.everydays...besaturday.com/

its not that different.  I think a big part of it is the backend as well.

Not as bad although still optimized for a tablet.  To the extent that their readership reads that site at work on desktop PCs that can be an issue.  Someone who invents a way to detect the platform an article is appearing on and optimizes it accordingly is going to make buckets of money.

One of the problems and strengths of print media is that it's inflexible.  You're limited in how many different ways you can present articles.  Sure, theoretically it was possible to stick giant pictures between every page of text but economically it didn't make sense.  In a way the technology prevented you from fucking things up.  It might have been boring but it rarely was outright bad.

The flexibility of digital media allows the interface to easily morph to whatever flavor of the month the site designers think is kewl.  On the positive side it's easy to implement a good idea but it's equally easy to implement horrendous things.  The people who run these sites might even think that the latest bright idea is really dumb but they approve the change because they're afraid of being left behind.

In 2 or 3 years I expect things will settle down as feedback from readers finally sinks in.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"But this is blatant ultracrepidarianism on my part." - Taion

I have a dream of a multiplicity of pastramis.

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#49 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Not as bad although still optimized for a tablet.  To the extent that their readership reads that site at work on desktop PCs that can be an issue.  Someone who invents a way to detect the platform an article is appearing on and optimizes it accordingly is going to make buckets of money.

They already do this. It's why you can read the NYTimes on your phone, tablet, and desktop PC. All of the resizing of columns and fonts and reorganizing of photos is done based on your device (although you can also go to a browser on your phone and get to the desktop version).

The content providers don't want to spend the money to make three different layouts. Especially when the content is free.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#50 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

More detail on Chorus here. Proprietary CMSs are all the rage in digital journalism right now.  I read an article a couple of weeks back making some criticisms of Chorus, but I can't find the damn thing now.

Thing is, you need the content too, and I am sorely disappointed by Vox (and the new FiveThirtyEight) so far.

#51 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

They already do this. It's why you can read the NYTimes on your phone, tablet, and desktop PC.

We may be talking about different things.  Look at the link Bonner supplied - http://www.sbnation....g-man-interview

While it's possible to read on a desktop the experience is godawful.  On a tablet it would be lots better.

"I don't understand what's wrong with thinking of correlation as a pricing convention the way one thinks of Black-Scholes vol. I mean, vol curves aren't "real" anyway, but nobody uses local vol models to price vanilla options." - Taion

"once the penis came out, there was discussions as to why we didn't order the testicles" - Daniel describing a meal in China

#52 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

You don't like that, you're not going to like Vox.

#53 oakapple

oakapple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Thing is, you need the content too, and I am sorely disappointed by Vox (and the new FiveThirtyEight) so far.

I haven't spend much time on Vox. The original FiveThirtyEight was the work of primarily one voice, and he only spoke when he had something to say.

The much larger FiveThirtyEight staff naturally includes writers with less talent at producing that type of story, and with the demand to post multiple stories every day, a lot of it is very weak.

Eater has done some good work over the years, but let's not forget, a lot of their stories are just filler to meet the daily post count.

Marc Shepherd
Editor, New York Journal

#54 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

It's the middle of the day.  How many of us are reading MF from a desktop/laptop and how many are using a tablet?

Maybe these designs are a plot by our bosses to make sure we do our recreational reading at home on tablets.

#55 Anthony Bonner

Anthony Bonner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

they optimize for mobile, not for desktop

yes - vox (the blog) has a shitty format

"This is a battle of who blinks first, and we've cut off our eyelids"

#56 cstuart

cstuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

They already do this. It's why you can read the NYTimes on your phone, tablet, and desktop PC.

We may be talking about different things.  Look at the link Bonner supplied - http://www.sbnation....g-man-interview

While it's possible to read on a desktop the experience is godawful.  On a tablet it would be lots better.

You've been able to detect the client ("platform") a user is on since the beginning of the internet.

That article layout is a choice and a current trend. It actually looks different on a tablet (another deliberate choice).

And SLBunge, responsive isn't necessarily cheaper at all. You're still doing 3 layouts, with 3 wires, etc. 

#57 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

I haven't spend much time on Vox. The original FiveThirtyEight was the work of primarily one voice, and he only spoke when he had something to say.

The much larger FiveThirtyEight staff naturally includes writers with less talent at producing that type of story, and with the demand to post multiple stories every day, a lot of it is very weak.

Eater has done some good work over the years, but let's not forget, a lot of their stories are just filler to meet the daily post count.

Always worth remembering that whenever we hammer someone here for producing a thin or insubstantial article.  Top Ten Something or Other.

#58 Wilfrid

Wilfrid

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 86,836 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:00 PM

It's the middle of the day.  How many of us are reading MF from a desktop/laptop and how many are using a tablet?

Maybe these designs are a plot by our bosses to make sure we do our recreational reading at home on tablets.

Where's the MF app, anyway?

#59 SLBunge

SLBunge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:04 PM

I think we are talking about the same thing. SBNation doesn't want to look like the NYTimes.

And, my guess is that many users access SBNation content while at work using their phones or tablets rather than on their work desktop PC. That way big brother IT doesn't know you what pages you've accessed and how long you've been surfing.

Edit: corrected because, apparently, expense isn't the issue.
Suffocating under a pile of cheese curds.

#60 Lex

Lex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:05 PM

they optimize for mobile, not for desktop

yes - vox (the blog) has a shitty format

Right.  I do wonder where most of the reading gets done.  During a weekday I suspect most of it happens on a desktop/laptop.  At night or on weekends I'm sure it's on tablets.